"Decision green"...real change or just greenwashing?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I spent Friday handing out the new calendars to my pickup accounts. For those of you who havent seen them, they are considerably smaller and use less paper. It also appears that the paper is recycled. UPS is trying to "go green" with the new calendars.

Im all for recycling and downsizing. Most of my customers approved of the new calendars. I just hope that this new emphasis on enviornmental responsibility is sincere, and not just an attempt at politically correct "greenwashing".

UPS could make an immediate 20% reduction in greenhouse gases by switching our entire fleet of diesel vehicles over to a 20% (B20) mix of domestically produced biodiesel. This fuel blend would require no modifications to the fleet and it would help to support domestic producers of a renewable resource. In Portland, OR all of the mass transit buses and city-owned maintainence vehicles have been running on biodiesel for several years with no issues. When I am parked at a dock next to a FedEx truck with "Hybrid diesel electric vehicle" stickers all over it, it would sure be nice if my ride said "powered by biodiesel" in equally large letters.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
what makes you think ups will change the cars over when they will not give everyone 3 point seatbelts

They dont have to change over anything. Biodiesel and regular petroleum diesel are interchangeable and mixable. Just pour and go. I pwn a 2006 VW Jetta turbodiesel and I have 2 yrs and 30,000 miles on it running biodiesel. The only difference is the smell of the exhaust.

3 point belts arent "green" and dont make for good publicity. "Powered by biodiesel" logos on the sides of the trucks do make for good publicity. And unlike many of the "green" initiatives we see in the business world that are mostly empty rhetoric, biodiesel can really make a meaningful difference.

drewed

Shankman
They dont have to change over anything. Biodiesel and regular petroleum diesel are interchangeable and mixable. Just pour and go. I pwn a 2006 VW Jetta turbodiesel and I have 2 yrs and 30,000 miles on it running biodiesel. The only difference is the smell of the exhaust.

3 point belts arent "green" and dont make for good publicity. "Powered by biodiesel" logos on the sides of the trucks do make for good publicity. And unlike many of the "green" initiatives we see in the business world that are mostly empty rhetoric, biodiesel can really make a meaningful difference.

Great idea during the summer months, wouldnt work that well up here in the winter.....
I think the problem would be finding a supplier that could support the volume needed

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Great idea during the summer months, wouldnt work that well up here in the winter.....
I think the problem would be finding a supplier that could support the volume needed ...

...and at a price that makes it competitive w/conventional diesel. Biodiesel is more expensive than conventional diesel and, as drewed mentioned, has to be adjusted for use during the winter.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Canola oil, if run thru a pre-heater getting it to 200+ degrees & a heated fuel tank, needs NO processing and runs in a diesel engine with no modifications whatsoever. Supply is fantastic, and is under $1.00/gallon.

rod

Retired 22 years
Canola oil, if run thru a pre-heater getting it to 200+ degrees & a heated fuel tank, needs NO processing and runs in a diesel engine with no modifications whatsoever. Supply is fantastic, and is under $1.00/gallon.

Sounds like alot of "heating" going on with this fuel. That would mean leaving your vehical running all day and I don't think UPS would go for that.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Sounds like alot of "heating" going on with this fuel. That would mean leaving your vehical running all day and I don't think UPS would go for that.

Yeah, never thought of that. Although there is no polution concern, and the fuel cost is nothing.

Fuel is heated electrically to get the motor started. I use this fuel / setup in a V-Twin turbo diesel genset. The "fuel" is actually also the coolant and lower end lubricant, which provides the heat when running.

Big Babooba

I think it would be feasible on a feeder run, but nothing local. I used to deliver to a start up company that was developing a system to burn used grease in diesel engined vehicles. The engine is started on diesel fuel. After the system is heated up, it is switched over to grease. Just before you get to your destination, the engine is switched back to diesel to flush the grease out of the system, otherwise the grease would coagulate and clog up the lines and pumps.http://www.greasecar.com/

Channahon

From what I have read biodiesel doesn't provide the same gas milage as regular gas. And UPS has always been in the forefront to use alternative fuels. Dallas was a test sight years ago, for natural gas vehicles, and has expanded that concept in the areas where it works.

Different environments have a specific impact on alternative and cost savings to UPS, it cannot be painted with a broad brush.

And UPS has always been "green" so to speak, and it's not a flavor of the month, simply being responsible as a corporate citizen. The people in Atlanta are a lot smarter than most of us think, from the bean counters to the Board, whatever UPS can do for the environment, and get tax credits for their time and effort, UPS does with both incentives in mind,

And UPS has always been "green" so to speak, and it's not a flavor of the month, simply being responsible as a corporate citizen. The people in Atlanta are a lot smarter than most of us think, from the bean counters to the Board, whatever UPS can do for the environment, and get tax credits for their time and effort, UPS does with both incentives in mind,
I have to ask Chan, with all due respect. If it were not for the "tax credits" would UPS be as green?

On one of the routes I cover, there is a start up company that is going to make biofuel out of cotton seed oil. One day recently I was delivering there and one of the owners was heating and straining a gallon of the finished product. I asked him how much it cost to produce a gallon. He said at this point, about 12 million dollars, it turns out that was the first gallon.

Mike Hawk

Be careful what you ask for Sober, one of these days you will find a bio diesel sticker on the side of your truck, but you will still have to fill up on normal diesel.:happy-very: