Did I pick a bad time to get hired? or... (On Topic)

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Little bit of context for this post, I'm going to my second work week in a couple days as a new hire knowing that Black Friday is metaphorically right around the corner, which means the package volume is going to spike HEAVILY (I work at the new Alderwood Hub in NE Portland btw.)

So I've just recently finished my first week as an AM Preloader. I've had 3 days working the belt and I'm already having doubts, but I just really wanna confirm something, and that something is if I'm just thinking about this too much.

The first day in that week was only working on one truck with my Supervisor/Trainer doing two other trucks next to mine.

The second day I had two *rental* trucks while my supervisor worked on a regular truck and helped me with my second rental truck because the shelf numbering was mirrored since the cab in the rentals are separated.

The third day being my day before my first three days off (3 day weekend currently but 2 day weekends going forward) was three trucks so now it was time to get a real feel before box numbers spike.
Now, I THOUGHT I knew how to multitask but nope, that did not exist once I started at UPS.

So here's the TLDR
I'm feeling like I will be dragging everyone on my belt behind because I just don't think I'm simply fast enough to keep a good rate between pulling Bags off the metro line, loading packages. etc etc. SO
As a new hire starting preload work about a month from Black Friday and the Holiday Season, did I choose the worst time of year to be a new hire, and is it realistic enough to assume that I'll just need to do my best? or am I going to have to kick my own :censored3: because I'll be seen as a problem by the other preloaders?
Yes

PTPeanuts

Speaking as a guy who works at the end of a belt, when new people start, they absolutely ARE going to slow me down with their missed stuff.

I work at the end of the belt, doesn't slow me down.
I just pick the :censored2: up and launch it through the air back towards the center of the building.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It's unfortunate that mgmt for a whole 70 days can let you go for being slow on the belt. You don't have to do perfect pickoff. Just whatever keeps you off the radar. But IRL not stupid mgmt zone legibly written hin numbers and everything sorted along like a bookshelf is what really saves money overall.

I would limit stacking to bags and irregs. Too much and suddenly you are crawling to get to each car.

If it were up to me, I would murder the person at the end of the belt in a punch. Not a damn thing is going to jeopardize load quality. Working the belt to keep it clean is just a social trap lol.

Last edited: