Did McCain Woo Hagee's Endorsement?

wkmac

According to a piece in Newsweek from the May 12th issue, this is exactly what McCain did.

But even some Republicans (not affiliated with the campaign) privately wonder how the pastor's extreme views slipped through without notice. McCain personally wooed Hagee for more than a year. In early 2007, the Arizona senator traveled to Hagee's Cornerstone Church in San Antonio, where the two men had breakfast. They bonded over a shared commitment to the protection of Israel, a meeting that McCain later cited as a sign of his outreach to social conservatives.

The above from 3rd paragraph at link below.

A purely random out of the blue endorsement by Hagee for McCain doesn't give rise that McCain would subscribe to Hagee's views in any way to the same level as Obama to Wright but what does it say when McCain seeks out his endorsement as the article suggests? That is a whole other light and is McCain that out of touch when it comes to Hagee, his teachings and background?

According to the piece, Hagee withheld his full endorsement for a time and seems to me that endorsement came when it appeared McCain was just about assured the nomination. Now that moves interests me!

Here's the Newsweek piece for any who want to read it for themselves. Hagee is on TV every week if not every day on TBN and I would encourage everyone to take a look at him, especially his eschatalogical beliefs. For those of you who are Catholic, I'd be especially concerned!

brett636

I still fail to see the big deal with this. Hagee is popular among those that share his religious views. Thousands of people listen to him every week, and despite certain people trying to paint him as a bigot there is no evidence of this. He has even apologized to the catholics for some of the things he said about them. I don't see Jeremiah Wright trying to apologize for being a racist proving Hagee is the better man.

tourists24

Here's the Newsweek piece for any who want to read it for themselves. Hagee is on TV every week if not every day on TBN and I would encourage everyone to take a look at him, especially his eschatalogical beliefs. For those of you who are Catholic, I'd be especially concerned!
Yes everyone please take a look at Hagee, especially at his sermons on prophecy and revelation. He does preach with a hailfire and brimstone style but some people learn better from this style as compared to someone like Joel Osteen. It is not a message of hate but one of biblical teaching (not hate). I suppose you think James Dobson is an evil hate monger also.

"either you live by the word of God or you dont live by the word of God, and there is nothing in between. And in our secular permissive society that's just a hateful idea." the evil John Hagee

av8torntn

StrucK a nerve did I?

:happy-very:

Not sure if this was directed at me but no. I just thought since you guys think it is important to post endorsements from Christian leaders I thought I would join in and post an endorsement for Hussein from a Muslim. After all if we use the logic of BS then since he made a deal to leave the Army if they dropped the charges he is still guilty of being a spy for Al Queada.

With Husseins stand on abortion the real story would be the Christian leaders endorsing him not the other way around.

I look at these endorsements as a way for the lazy to figure out who to vote for. You are kidding yourself if you do not think the Hagee endorsement will get him some votes. I am sure that if he personally sought out this endorsement it is simply because he thought it would get him more votes than it would cost him.

wkmac

I still fail to see the big deal with this. Hagee is popular among those that share his religious views. Thousands of people listen to him every week, and despite certain people trying to paint him as a bigot there is no evidence of this. He has even apologized to the catholics for some of the things he said about them. I don't see Jeremiah Wright trying to apologize for being a racist proving Hagee is the better man.

Brett,

You are correct, there is no big deal. I don't need Rev. Wright or lack of label pin on Obama to cause me NOT to vote for him, his positions alone are more than sufficent to take care of that. Same for McCain with Hagee. I'd no more vote for McCain than I would Obama because in the case of either and you can lump in Hillary too, gov't would only grow in the end and that alone is enough to steer me away from all 3.

In that vein, I think Lew Rockwell said it best yesterday in his piece entitled, "The Enemy is Always the State!"

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rockwell/enemy-always-thestate.html

I know typically you could care less but read down about 4 or 5 paragraphs and just for a moment consider the point just on immigration alone! Ah heck, I'll make it easy so as to not waste your valuable time with having to read.

Another example of a more complicated topic concerns immigration. Throughout modern history, the state has used immigrants as a tool to ratchet up power for itself. This takes the form of requiring tax-funded services like public schools and medical services, or in browbeating the citizens to embrace all newcomers while enforcing anti-discrimination law. Nor are citizens under these conditions permitted to notice the rise in crime that accompanies some immigration or the demographic upheavals that people resent. The result of immigration waves is to diminish liberty for American citizens.

At the same time, anti-immigrationist sentiment can also be used by the state to expand its power. In the name of a crackdown, the state invades the rights of business and demands documentation of every employee. It sends its bureaucrats all over the country and works toward a national ID card. It makes it virtually impossible for corporations to hire people, even temporary workers, from other countries, all in the name of national security or stopping immigration. The state is happy to whip up nativist frenzy in the name of loving the homeland in order to enhance its power. This harms productivity and makes us all less free.

So you see the problem here. The state uses both pro- and anti-immigration sentiment in its favor.

Even on this issue, no matter which of the 3 make the cut, their solutions will fall somewhere inside the framework mentioned above and 2 things will result in the end. The problem will not be fixed and the State will grow in size and power. On every issue of note down through the years, the problems are never solved and the State grows in size and power and it matters not which party controls the reigns.

Even in the midst of terorist threats, the reality is the problem has not been solved but yet gov't power has grown and the taxpayer is saddled with an ever increasing debt. I know you and others will say this or that and in some case they are valid points but here's a fact. The ultimate force behind the attacks on 9/11 are still out free as a bird and at any point could rear their ugly head and the reality is little can be done to prevent it. Having captured or killed those 2 several years ago IMO would have even moreso gave insurance that threat level was truly reduced but then without that threat level, what mass justification is there for gov't to go further in it's new mideast policy abroad and it's own agenda at home?

Now I see Bush maybe upping the ante in the years ahead by giving enriched uranium to the very nation that supplied us the vast majority of those who hit us on 9/11 and also the very brain and backbone of the Al Qaeda network. Sounds so familar in what Ron Paul describes as blowback from other past choices of gov't but one has to ask was this blowback intentional? I've got to be kidding right? Nope, not at all because time and time again they do this and no one is that stupid!

Where's the appeal of the strong soldier type in John McCain without an external threat that we believe the other 2 are incapable of handling? Take that away and McCain has "0" credentials as a true conservative to even get elected dogcatcher under that political ideal. Why solve a problem when it's use proves even more rewarding? The democrats do it to with social security and other programs that in every budget get an increase in funding but all we hear are the republicans are gonna end this and that. Maybe the funding increases were not to the level the democrats want it, but the program grows none the less. Bothsides create boogey men via lies and destortions.

Hell, even bothsides agree American education is a disaster but then we rubberstamp the ever constant stream of federal programs that they guarantee will fix the problem and take us to Nirvana. Last time I looked the only thing I saw was a huge hemoroid that in our minds had prevented us from catching wind of the real smell.

As for a constantly failing gov't, would you go to a auto mechanic who not only never fixes your care but the problems get worse as your bank account grows smaller and the mechanic's grows larger? How about a doctor, a dentist, a home repairman? Would UPS continue to employ any of us if the packages never got delievered, they continued to pile up and we only demanded more money from them and the customer? Then using that logic, why do you continue to hire a gov't and advertise for a gov't that does just exactly that?

Now make your choice!

Tourist talked about some preachers using hellfire and brimstone sermons and I always laugh at these as being nothing more than someone trying to scare the literal "HELL out of me!" Just like these preachers use the devil and the threat of hell into scaring people into the pews on Sunday so does the gov't use it's "problems" to scare us into rubberstamping it's will upon society. The question now is who learned the process from whom?

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just saw this on Hagee today, what a nutcase!

John Hagee, the controversial evangelical leader and endorser of Sen. John McCain, argued in a late 1990s sermon that the Nazis had operated on God's behalf to chase the Jews from Europe and shepherd them to Palestine.

click
tourists24 said:
It is not a message of hate but one of biblical teaching
Whatever you say.....

tourists24

Just saw this on Hagee today, what a nutcase!

John Hagee, the controversial evangelical leader and endorser of Sen. John McCain, argued in a late 1990s sermon that the Nazis had operated on God's behalf to chase the Jews from Europe and shepherd them to Palestine.

click

Whatever you say.....
Why is he a nutcase? What did he say that makes him such a kook? Was there anything that was incorrect or a lie? Well seeing that you were checking with the Huffington Post to get your info, you know you'll get their best shot at the worst of him. But even so, if that's the worst, could they at least come into the 21st century to get it? He never threatens or mentions hatred for anyone, he merely said that the people who left to go to Israel were spared, the ones who didnt were not. His whole point is that God allows some horrific events to happen, and that can explain some of the pain and suffering in our world. Controversial yes. Now I understand that a lot of people dont want to hear fire and brimstone preachers, but God uses all types of people when ministering. Unlike Rev. Wright (whom all this comparison is about) Hagee is vigilantly defending the word of the bible, not lashing out at America and the government. I do like the very end of the video though, sooo true.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Why is he a nutcase? What did he say that makes him such a kook? Was there anything that was incorrect or a lie? Well seeing that you were checking with the Huffington Post to get your info, you know you'll get their best shot at the worst of him. But even so, if that's the worst, could they at least come into the 21st century to get it? He never threatens or mentions hatred for anyone, he merely said that the people who left to go to Israel were spared, the ones who didnt were not. His whole point is that God allows some horrific events to happen, and that can explain some of the pain and suffering in our world. Controversial yes. Now I understand that a lot of people dont want to hear fire and brimstone preachers, but God uses all types of people when ministering. Unlike Rev. Wright (whom all this comparison is about) Hagee is vigilantly defending the word of the bible, not lashing out at America and the government. I do like the very end of the video though, sooo true.

"I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Almighty Creator. By fighting the Jews, I am doing the Lord's work."
— Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, p. 65
Personally, I always thought that what happened to the Jews in Nazi Germany was a crime against humanity by an evil regime, but according to you, Hitler, and Hagee, those saintly nazi's were just helping out god with his important plans when they herded millions of innocent people into the gas chambers. Interesting "truth" you have there.

Of course, it's only the "truth" if you buy into the rest of Hagee's screwball end-times theology, which holds that it was important to herd all the jews into Israel so in the final battle they can all be slaughtered (excepting the ones who see the light and accept JC as their savior). Basically god will come down and finish what the nazi's started. Gee, where do I sign up?

If you think this a defense of Wright you're mistaken, I think he's a whackjob as well. Nor do I think this has anything to with John McCain beyond the fact that he's a politician who needs the votes that Hagee can, unfortunately, deliver. It's a sad commentary on our political process that these sideshow freaks have influence at all. At most they should be objects of ridicule.

brett636

I've been to a few church services in my lifetime, and none has ever said their diety professed violence against others who were different from them. Not saying all religions are this way, but saying most fundamentalist religions are this way is just too broad.

For those bonus points the actor is Sean Connery.

av8torntn

"Republican John McCain has rejected the endorsement of an influential Texas televangelist criticized for his anti-Catholic views. "

tourists24

Personally, I always thought that what happened to the Jews in Nazi Germany was a crime against humanity by an evil regime, but according to you, Hitler, and Hagee, those saintly nazi's were just helping out god with his important plans when they herded millions of innocent people into the gas chambers. Interesting "truth" you have there.

Most fundamentalist religions are just variations on the following theme
Wow, is that what you got out of my last post? you are so far off base I dont even know what to say. No one ever said the Nazis were good. The holocaust was a tragedy. And just because you throw a quote from Hitler up there doesnt make him buddies with God. The whole point is that sometimes God allows BAD people to do bad things. It happens all through the bible. He could stop it if he wanted, but for whatever reason, he doesnt. I understand you want nothing to do with christianity, and well that's your choice. I know where Im going when I die, and my place is set for eternity. Where will you be when you go? You will have to answer one day, and maybe you will play your little video when judgement comes.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) today rejected the endorsement of megachurch pastor and ardent Zionist John Hagee after learning of a sermon in which Hagee posited that Nazism was God's will.

Good man. No vote is worth that much.

tourists24 said:
The whole point is that sometimes God allows BAD people to do bad things. It happens all through the bible. He could stop it if he wanted, but for whatever reason, he doesnt.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"
— Epicurus (ca. 341-270 BCE) Greek philosopher

diesel96

When you go out of your way and seek endorsements from wacko evangelists for political reasons, I find it much more reprehensible than a paster and church in your community that you attended before you entered the political arena. And when a religiuos leaders of a church or group gets involved with gov't and politics, they should lose their tax-exempts.

tourists24

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) today rejected the endorsement of megachurch pastor and ardent Zionist John Hagee after learning of a sermon in which Hagee posited that Nazism was God's will.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?"
— Epicurus (ca. 341-270 BCE) Greek philosopher

Well hopefully Epicurus will save your soul, Im sure his feel good philosophy will make you FEEL better about yourself (for now anyway). Im sure one day you two will be united. I wish you the best.

wkmac

And when a religiuos leaders of a church or group gets involved with gov't and politics, they should lose their tax-exempts.

Funny how the founding fathers dealt with this problem as they granted or had no provisons of a tax exempt status like 501(c)3. They just had no provision to directly tax them or any other citizen for that fact.

What a concept!

:wink2:

IMO the whole idea of 501(c)3 violates the intent and spirit of the 1st amendment from both the gov't side and the church side. In effect, all parties involved are guilty of violating so all's fair with conscenting adults?

wkmac

This thing with Hagee and the situation with Obama and Wright does make one wonder about the principles of the 2 men involved and to what lenghts they may ascend to in order to be the so-called leader of the free world. These guys and gals too in Hillary's case are proving time and time again that they will say or associate with whoever they need to in order to get elected.

These folks haved "USED CAR SALESMAN" written all over them IMO!