Do I have to take freight from another route?

AB831

The infallible and well designed DRA has been creating four to five extra P1 routes in my loop lately, and on some days they have nobody to cover one or two of them. My manager's solution has been the old "figure it out for yourself" strategy which means that my neighbor and I end up getting stuck with essentially all of it because the extra routes are closer to us than anyone else in the loop. I'm really getting fed up with this, so my question is do I HAVE to take freight that isn't on my route since I'm not a cover driver? I'm not asking if I SHOULD take it. I'm asking if I HAVE to take it. I like my manager and usually have no problem working with him, but he was completely unreasonable today, so my question is if an unstoppable force meets and immovable object, what would happen if I declined to do it? Again, I'm not a cover driver. I have my own route that I bid on over a year ago.

AB831

No, you should be able to pick and choose what you want to do because why not?
You're a manager, no? I'm assuming you probably know the answer to what I'm asking. So.......why the need to be condescending when you actually have the ability to be helpful?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You're a manager, no? I'm assuming you probably know the answer to what I'm asking. So.......why the need to be condescending when you actually have the ability to be helpful?
Because it doesn't matter what anyone on this forum says, if your manager tells you to take it, you have to take it. It's called operational needs.

Unless, of course, you'd prefer a letter in your file.

AB831

Because it doesn't matter what anyone on this forum says, if your manager tells you to take it, you have to take it. It's called operational needs.

Unless, of course, you'd prefer a letter in your file.
He didn't tell me to take anything. He told us to figure it out ourselves. So for what reason exactly would I be receiving this letter?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Because yours is a stupid question and he was having fun at your expense.

Do you expect the freight to deliver itself? Split it up between the two of you and get on with your day.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

I can't answer such a question without being a smartass about it. You can just leave the freight if you want. Then you can tell us that your boss told you to take out some freight after you RTB'd and then ask if you have to do that, too.

AB831

Since it's p1 ask him if it you need to make service, if the answer is no, then yeah, you pretty much have to take it.
That's what I figured. He didn't say if we had to make service or not, but I assumed he wouldn't have even asked me to do something like that had there been service

newgirl

If you get out of the bldg on time and run straight P1's can you be disciplined if you have lates?
Not that I have experienced. Only time you could run into a problem is if you deliver a bulk of p-1s for 1 stop after 1030. That's a no-no in our district. They'd rather you skip 10 stops and have 10 seperate lates to save 6 p1 at one stop.

dezguy

The infallible and well designed DRA has been creating four to five extra P1 routes in my loop lately, and on some days they have nobody to cover one or two of them. My manager's solution has been the old "figure it out for yourself" strategy which means that my neighbor and I end up getting stuck with essentially all of it because the extra routes are closer to us than anyone else in the loop. I'm really getting fed up with this, so my question is do I HAVE to take freight that isn't on my route since I'm not a cover driver? I'm not asking if I SHOULD take it. I'm asking if I HAVE to take it. I like my manager and usually have no problem working with him, but he was completely unreasonable today, so my question is if an unstoppable force meets and immovable object, what would happen if I declined to do it? Again, I'm not a cover driver. I have my own route that I bid on over a year ago.
What does the stop count sheet say you are supposed to take out? If you're at that number, tell your manager I'm at stop count.

It's not up to you to do the managers job. Managers are 4 pay grades higher than you. They can earn their money and figure out who is doing overflow.