Do you need customer service skills to drive?

Aerosion

As in does knowing how to deal with people benefit you when you become a driver? Or do you just dump the packages to the people, get the signature, and move on? Do you have to talk to people, and do you get into some situations, is what I'm trying to ask.

mdups

I have been a driver for two years now. I covered all kinds of routes for the first 2 years and now have a pretty heavy comm. route, and customer service skills help immensely. We have a stranglehold on most of my route because of the customer service of the guy that was before me, and I try very hard to keep it that way.
Also saw guys that started with me who have a miserable time because they have no customer skills and are constantly in trouble.

code5

When I train a new driver and they have the attitude that all we do is drive a truck and carry packages, I know they are not going to last very long.

Customer service is a must, if you can't handle it effectively, your not a very good driver...simply put.

Big Babooba

Not only do you need customer service skills, you need a good personality. An even temperament always helps because you will not always deal with easy to please customers.

brownrodster

Or do you just dump the packages to the people, get the signature, and move on?

Exactly.

However, you need to be at least pleasant and skilled at 3 world conversations. But I'm a master of dumping stuff and running. It's very rare that a customer even learns my name. I like this job a lot. But I would never want my own route. It makes avoiding customer contact much easier.

Exactly.

However, you need to be at least pleasant and skilled at 3 world conversations. But I'm a master of dumping stuff and running. It's very rare that a customer even learns my name. I like this job a lot. But I would never want my own route. It makes avoiding customer contact much easier.

Exactly, keep it short but sweet. If you can save 1 minute at each stop that's over 2 1/2 hours for every 150 stops you have.

CBUK

Its a case of being able to do both. Be fast and efficient but you do need to know how to deal with customers. Its something that UPS don't teach you though.

They just want you to be effective on paper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As in does knowing how to deal with people benefit you when you become a driver? Or do you just dump the packages to the people, get the signature, and move on? Do you have to talk to people, and do you get into some situations, is what I'm trying to ask.

I would like you to put yourself in the consignee's shoes. What type of interaction would you expect to have with your driver, keeping in mind that he has a schedule to keep? I am sure you would want him to greet you and perhaps strike up a short conversation while he is sheeting your pkgs. This of course depends upon the situation. If you own a store and have customers waiting then it will be dump, sign and go. If you are the only one there then a quick chat may be in order, again keeping in mind his time schedule.

Knowing when, where and how long to "visit" is a skill that does take some time to develop but can go a long way toward fostering a positive working environment. Some days will be easier than others. Some days will be dump, sign and go, and most customers understand this. As stated above, this would be an awfully boring job if you didn't talk to anybody all day.

You will quickly get a feel for this and it will become second nature to you.

Big Babooba

I would like you to put yourself in the consignee's shoes. What type of interaction would you expect to have with your driver, keeping in mind that he has a schedule to keep? I am sure you would want him to greet you and perhaps strike up a short conversation while he is sheeting your pkgs. This of course depends upon the situation. If you own a store and have customers waiting then it will be dump, sign and go. If you are the only one there then a quick chat may be in order, again keeping in mind his time schedule.

Knowing when, where and how long to "visit" is a skill that does take some time to develop but can go a long way toward fostering a positive working environment. Some days will be easier than others. Some days will be dump, sign and go, and most customers understand this. As stated above, this would be an awfully boring job if you didn't talk to anybody all day.

You hit the nail right on the head.

Re-Raise

I couldn't agree more..

upsgrunt

Exactly, keep it short but sweet. If you can save 1 minute at each stop that's over 2 1/2 hours for every 150 stops you have.

That's an answer an IE person would give. That little word "if" can get you in trouble. Anything is possible------if----------a certain chain of events occurs. Like I've always said- "IF" my aunt had a penis then she would be my uncle!

DS

Fenderbender
If you have the same route every day,it pays immensely to make contact with the people that make the decisions.Sometimes when a new business opens,you must push the sense of urgency on them till they understand that you cant and you wont wait .They hate you sometimes and it takes a few favors like when they say I'm expecting something, I need it as early as possible if you make them happy,you soon find they will do things your way,it just takes awhile to train them.
If you have a cod for a big company,you take it to reception,and when she gives you the,all packages go to the back look,you say I brought it here because nobody in recieving has any money.
Customer service is a big part of being a driver.