Dock Supervisor Salary

bonafidejonb

I know there are a lot of non-management employees on here from what I see but I was wondering if someone could give me some insight to what the Full-time Dock Supervisor's salary is starting out. I am interviewing for a position at a UPSF hub on Wednesday. I have some part-time management experience at UPSG and Central Transport, but since I'm graduating in December I am now eligible for the full-time management positions.

Thank you in advance...

X

Xavier O'sullivan

I have been in the freight business for 12 years, I have been a manager 6 years out of the 12. From my own prospective I can assure you to just think twice before you take a position as a dock supervisor. Are you married? If so will she mind you working 10-16 hours a day? I assure you long hours, hard work. I would say they are going to try and start you at a low figure maybe 41-43,000 a year, however you don't have freight experience so that maybe a good offer. Or is it? Do the math, your hours with your salary and see just where you end up. Don't get into this business if you don't have too, however other the other side yes you have to work long and hard, but the advancement well the sky can be the limit, just know what you are getting into before you get into it.

Tip, keep all options open, never just settle with one position. Learn every aspect of the company and the freight business, it will only help you in the end.

Southern Cross

Grey Beard
Not sure about the starting salary for the posistion(s) you would be interested in. Being salary with the Old OVNT was different then it is now with UNCLE BROWN. The hours are long and you may well be kept busy. If you are in the Carolinas, I suppose you may be interviewing for Gaffney. I do know at one time if they needed you somewhere else, they would "encourage" you to move there. Not sure how it is now for UNCLE BROWN. I know they have a need for good managerial skills through out the system. I wish you well with your prospects.

I work at a small terminal less than 12 p&d drivers and 4 dock workers, and 22 doors the dock supervisor started at $50k he moved up as a dockworker, at a hub I am sure it would be even more.

deece2142

I am an Operations supervisor in the Southwest. I make 42500 a year. When you look at the per hour pay its not much. I work at least 10 a day and the wife complains about it constantly. Hopefully the part about advancement is true.

helloitsme

I am an Operations supervisor in the Southwest. I make 42500 a year. When you look at the per hour pay its not much. I work at least 10 a day and the wife complains about it constantly. Hopefully the part about advancement is true.

Now you know why many of us don't take supervision positions when they are posted ! The salaries for Supervision are a joke and all you do is babysit. Do you really want to be in the freight business ? If so then take some advice from someone who has been on both sides. Don't be friends with your employees. Don't go drinking with them,don't go on golf dates with them,don't mingle with them outside of the job. It will interfere with your ability to manage them on the job site. You can be friendly...don't be friends.