dock worker

hey guys, i live in Hawaii and i currently do not work for UPS, but i signed up with this forum to get some research done. i'm in the process of getting my CDL so i can apply for a driver position. i applied for a part time position for a dock worker. i found the basic job description, working conditions of a dock worker but i can't seem to find the hourly wage or salary. if some of you who have worked as a dock worker or currently are working as one don't mind telling me how much you make so i can get an idea, i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks.

brownrodster

hey guys, i live in Hawaii and i currently do not work for UPS, but i signed up with this forum to get some research done. i'm in the process of getting my CDL so i can apply for a driver position. i applied for a part time position for a dock worker. i found the basic job description, working conditions of a dock worker but i can't seem to find the hourly wage or salary. if some of you who have worked as a dock worker or currently are working as one don't mind telling me how much you make so i can get an idea, i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks.

Starting wage for UPS is 8.50$. .50 raise after 70 days or so. .50 raise every year.

Driver positions go by seniority. YOu may have to work part time for years before you get the opportunity to drive.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
i applied for a part time position for a dock worker. i found the basic job description, working conditions of a dock worker but i can't seem to find the hourly wage or salary. if some of you who have worked as a dock worker or currently are working as one don't mind telling me how much you make so i can get an idea, i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks.

OK, are you applying for UPS FREIGHT or for small package side of UPS? From the title of this thread, it sounds like Freight. I couldn't find anything for Freight in Hawaii on UPSjobs.com. A search in another state didn't tell me anything about wages.

Starting wage for UPS is 8.50$. .50 raise after 70 days or so. .50 raise every year.

Driver positions go by seniority. YOu may have to work part time for years before you get the opportunity to drive.

Yes, that's right for the small package side. I don't know anything about Freight. I know I've read posts by UPS Freight workers on here in the past and just in the last day or so. -Rocky

so if someone like myself who hasn't worked for UPS before turns in an application for an open driver position, an applicant who's already working for UPS will get the job before me?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
so if someone like myself who hasn't worked for UPS before turns in an application for an open driver position, an applicant who's already working for UPS will get the job before me?

On the Parcel side? Chances are the internal applicant will get the job before you do. This is because of the Teamsters contract with UPS. I've heard several numbers batted around on here but its mostly 6 inside for every 1 outside hire for driving positions. The Freight side isn't unionized yet as far as I know.

i just submitted an online application for a part time dock worker on the Freight side.

In Hawaii? I think not, chief. I just checked Hawaii and there was NADA available--dock worker or otherwise. You sure you had the right state, let alone UPS Freight? -Rocky

In Hawaii? I think not, chief. I just checked Hawaii and there was NADA available--dock worker or otherwise. You sure you had the right state, let alone UPS Freight? -Rocky[/quote]

You got me wondering when you asked if i had the right state. I just checked my application status under 'Cartage-Full Time Dock Worker' and i have a pending application which i submitted today. it does say Honolulu, Hi on it. i just assumed it was Freight because i went to job search, clicked on UPS Freight, and dock workers oppurtunities in the drop down menu. so i'm pretty sure i did my application correctly.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS does have a company thats called UPS Cartage. They are a separate company from UPS Freight. UPS Cartage in my area handles a lot of international air freight, I am located near a major airport.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
You got me wondering when you asked if i had the right state. I just checked my application status under 'Cartage-Full Time Dock Worker' and i have a pending application which i submitted today. it does say Honolulu, Hi on it. i just assumed it was Freight because i went to job search, clicked on UPS Freight, and dock workers oppurtunities in the drop down menu. so i'm pretty sure i did my application correctly.

Then you're fine. UPS Freight is a separate division from Cartage.

UPS does have a company thats called UPS Cartage. They are a separate company from UPS Freight. UPS Cartage in my area handles a lot of international air freight, I am located near a major airport.

Sounds right to me. The one I know of here has immediate access to Denver International.

ok, that's good to know. are you a dock worker?

No, he's a delivery driver on the Parcel side. His airport is probably Hartsfield-Jackson International in Atlanta. He'd probably know more about this subject than I since he's a UPS vet AND speaks to customers. He'd be one of the better people to ask specific questions of considering those factors. What I write is based on news-stories and good ol' fashioned searching. -Rocky

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
ok, that's good to know. are you a dock worker?

No, like Rocky posted, I drive for the Parcel Division. I don't know about the pay and benefits at Cartage and Freight, although we do have some members who work there. UPS Cartage in my city is represented by Teamsters Local 728. When I sometimes deliver to Cartage, I see a lot of International Freight all over their dock. I do work near Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, in fact I drive under one of its runways every morning.

Last edited: