Does The DIAD Have GPS Capability?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know I'll get flamed for asking, but does the DIAD have GPS capabilty built-in, and if so, is it activated? Our similar device (the PowerPad) has it, but they claim the GPS function isn't being used to monitor the location of employees. Yet we've seen a quantum leap lately in terminations for "falsification" that involve the PowerPad. Many of us feel we ARE being monitored, and then terminated if everything doesn't match-up exactly. Does your Teamsters contract prohibit GPS monitoring if the DIAD is so equipped, and if not, will it eventually be up-graded?
Flamers, please proceed with your venom.

Cementups

Box Monkey
But our management can not simply track us with their so-called GPS. They physically have to see us screwing off to take action.

55andout?

Yes It Does Have Gps And The Driver's Path Can Be Replayed For Him The Next Day
Soon there will be an upgrade to the diad iv that will show us in real time the drivers location and actiivity. It will allow the placement of On Call Airs to the closest driver even if that On Call is not on his route.

Alas! Now the conspiracy theorists will raise their evil heads to state that the future of drivers is bleak for the DIAD will, in fact, be used for discipline. If nothing else it very well could, and I predict it will, be used as an intimidatio tools to pry out confessions of wrong doing, however slight. I know that confession is good for the soul, but it sure reeks havoc on a UP$ carrier.

paidslave

Alas! Now the conspiracy theorists will raise their evil heads to state that the future of drivers is bleak for the DIAD will, in fact, be used for discipline. If nothing else it very well could, and I predict it will, be used as an intimidatio tools to pry out confessions of wrong doing, however slight. I know that confession is good for the soul, but it sure reeks havoc on a UP$ carrier.

Very well said and totally agree!

BigBrownSanta

Soon there will be an upgrade to the diad iv that will show us in real time the drivers location and actiivity. It will allow the placement of On Call Airs to the closest driver even if that On Call is not on his route.
Why would an OCA be sent to someone off area when the driver who is on area will most likely be closer at a later time in the day? The reason I ask is because this happens to me quite often. When I tell the other driver I made a pickup for them, they tell me they could've made the OCA on their pickup run. I can only see this another harassment tool or maybe a way to make a driver increase their mileage to plan better.

over9five

Staff member

I though the same thing as Bigbrownsanta. The driver closest at that time will be dispatched for the OCA even though another driver will be picking up in that same building later!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My interpretation of the contract is that UPS cannot take disciplinary action against us on the first offense based upon an infraction which was determined via GPS, unless the infraction is of a fraudulent nature.

pretzel_man

Why is this a bad thing??? The intent is to use this information to dispatch an OCA to a driver that is going to be in that area.

It may be an adjacent driver, the driver that will be near there to make a pickup, etc.

They will be able to see where each driver is at currently, as well as the stops they have left to deliver and pickup. It seems logical that better dispatching decisions for OCA could be made??

Of course, some fool can use this information and make a bad decision, but that doesn't make the concept bad.

P-Man

Why is this a bad thing??? The intent is to use this information to dispatch an OCA to a driver that is going to be in that area.

It may be an adjacent driver, the driver that will be near there to make a pickup, etc.

They will be able to see where each driver is at currently, as well as the stops they have left to deliver and pickup. It seems logical that better dispatching decisions for OCA could be made??

Of course, some fool can use this information and make a bad decision, but that doesn't make the concept bad.

P-Man
I'm not too sure the system is going to tell them how many stops anyone has left to do. Are you sure that's correct? The things the GPS won't tell them is what time the presently closest driver's next 3-5 stops are going to be closed. By the time a driver gets his last time commit stops done he may be well out of the area for the pickup. Does the GPS show that someone else (the regular driver for that area) will be in that area at a time better for pickup? Granted a very knowledgeable OMS could direct traffic well with the system, but how many have an OMS that is capable of doing that?
Some fool using the info to make bad decisions doesn't make it a bad concept, but it does make it a concept with unacceptable flaws. Too many chances for fires to be put out and we all know who is going to have to put them out.

pretzel_man

I'm not too sure the system is going to tell them how many stops anyone has left to do. Are you sure that's correct? The things the GPS won't tell them is what time the presently closest driver's next 3-5 stops are going to be closed. By the time a driver gets his last time commit stops done he may be well out of the area for the pickup. Does the GPS show that someone else (the regular driver for that area) will be in that area at a time better for pickup? Granted a very knowledgeable OMS could direct traffic well with the system, but how many have an OMS that is capable of doing that?
Some fool using the info to make bad decisions doesn't make it a bad concept, but it does make it a concept with unacceptable flaws. Too many chances for fires to be put out and we all know who is going to have to put them out.

Trpl:

I'm not sure I understand your point. Today, an OMS has to dispatch the OCA without any information on where you are currently or what deliveries are remaining on your car.

At best, they look at the area you cover and give the OCA to the appropriate driver.

With EDD, the center can know the deliveries on your car. DIAD tells them which ones are complete, and which ones are remaining. It also tells them your GPS location.

I know you're going to say that EDD is not perfect and that it doesn't know the special circumstances of your route.

I also know that a poor OMS will make a poor decision.

However, why would we not want to take the first step? Maybe one day the computer can automatically make the decision? Maybe DIAD will help you make better decisions on road to reduce miles?

Maybe DIAD will be linked to the customers one day.

Again, seems like UPS is taking the first step.

P-Man

JustTired

free at last.......
Maybe one day the computer can automatically make the decision? Maybe DIAD will help you make better decisions on road to reduce miles?

As much of a "computer geek" as I am, I have very little faith that a computer is going to make the right decisions on how I should run my area. There are too many variables that would have to programmed into it and those variables would have to be updated in real time. The only person that could make those updates is the driver. By that time he would have made the decision and would be executing it. Technology is a great thing, but it can only go so far. In my opinion, when it comes to delivering packages, a fairly logical driver will beat the computer every time.

Maybe DIAD will be linked to the customers one day.

Let's hope they can't contact us through the DIAD.

When will you be here?
Do you have a pkg for us from ________?
Where can I meet you to get our pkgs?
Why aren't you here yet?
Did you forget about us?
etc,etc...........

What a nightmare that would be!

ukUPSer43199

loader/driver helper
ok, weve established that the DIAD has GPS capabilities, but does the GPS still work underground ,ie. on the london underground network (the metro for my US colleagues)?

and also..can you still recieve text messages on the underground/metro?

cheers,

john :weightlifter:

pretzel_man

ok, weve established that the DIAD has GPS capabilities, but does the GPS still work underground ,ie. on the london underground network (the metro for my US colleagues)?

and also..can you still recieve text messages on the underground/metro?

cheers,

john :weightlifter:
Text messages: It depends. If you can get cell service, text messages should work.

GPS: No. Have to see satellites.

P-Man

pretzel_man

As much of a "computer geek" as I am, I have very little faith that a computer is going to make the right decisions on how I should run my area. There are too many variables that would have to programmed into it and those variables would have to be updated in real time. The only person that could make those updates is the driver. By that time he would have made the decision and would be executing it. Technology is a great thing, but it can only go so far. In my opinion, when it comes to delivering packages, a fairly logical driver will beat the computer every time.

I used to think the same way when I first heard people in Corporate talking about this.

Then I got a navigation system for my car, and really liked it.

It isn't always right, but then again I don't follow it exactly. I use it like an advisor. If its got a good direction, I follow it. I think it works pretty well.

So why couldn't something like that work for our drivers? You have so much to remember, a little guidance may help.

P-Man