Double Dating with a Supervisor.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
what you are doing is not really double dating. that occurs when two couples are not married and go out together cause they cant afford the gas by themselves:wink2:

there have been several instances here where sup sup and sup hourly have turned very ugly.

can you say catching the sup with your wife at a hotel during lunch?

not covered in the contract, so you really cant file. at best, ups will transfer the sup down the road a few miles.

happens more than you might think.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

brown, what you do and whom you choose to socialize with out of work is none of our business. My only suggestion would be to make sure that there is no favoritism, whether actual or implied, as a result of this double date. My on-car was a driver for 15 years and I would feel very comfortable having dinner with him and his wife and I know that our interaction at work would not change as a result.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
upstate

i agree

we are ups'ers at work, our private life is ours.

just like lawyers go out to eat lunch with the judge, but when in the courtroom, lunch is forgotten.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
brown, what you do and whom you choose to socialize with out of work is none of our business. My only suggestion would be to make sure that there is no favoritism, whether actual or implied, as a result of this double date. My on-car was a driver for 15 years and I would feel very comfortable having dinner with him and his wife and I know that our interaction at work would not change as a result.

It was a heck of a Prime Rib and I'll be back to my 10 hour dispatches come Monday.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
He could write it off as a sales lead attempt.

A long time ago, the drivers and management in my Center would party with each other. It was a lot of fun. Too bad that enviroment isn't there anymore, and neither is the morale factor.

About 20 years ago one of our drivers hosted a Christmas party to which both drivers and management were invited. As I recall (vaguely) it was an open bar.

Bad idea.

Too many people (myself included) had too much to drink, and at that point the alcohol becomes truth serum and people say what they really think with no regard for the fact that they are going to have to work with the same people they are speaking their minds to. Its even worse during peak season when people are already trashed from working 14 hr days.

It got realy ugly and there were some hard feelings and embarrassment for awhile.

At the very least, if one is going to socialize with management outside of work it should be alcohol-free.

Before I worked at UPS, I was friends with several of the sups and the center manager. We partied, play softball, went on cruises together (much alcohol involved), there were a couple of drivers in that group as well. They all kept trying to get me to go to work @UPS but I resisted (in retrospect a mistake). Later I decided to go to college and get a degree while working various PT jobs. One of my friends that was a sup called me one evening and asked if I wanted a PT job there. The money was better than my current job and he said they would work with me on hours. I took the non-union clerk position, worked that until I graduated. The sups, drivers and I were all still doing lots of things together. To shorten the story: The only problem I ever had with any of the friend/sups was with one of the drivers that went into management and let the power go to his head. A couple of ....hmmmm...heart to heart talks things smoothed out up until he was railroaded out of UPS. I received warning letters when I messed up, just as anyone else did, I filed grievances when I needed to, just like anyone else would....NO problems. Some of these people and I are still very good friends, I wouldn't dream of changing that time even if I could.
Doesn't look like I shortened it much, but I really did. The moral to the story and question is, yes management and hourly can be friends and it not be a problem as long as everyone keeps the right attitude about the relationship.
I have been told that management does have a fraternization rule.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I would feel very comfortable having dinner with him and his wife and I know that our interaction at work would not change as a result.

Of course it wouldn't your already a company kiss ass, how could it change.

I mean that with the all the respect that is due.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I like the short and to the point posts. I recall some posts on another thread that went on for several days going tit for tat over long posts that people don't read over short ones that read like a screen play.

I think Trplnkl & Over9five broke the thread and Upstate saw the opportunity to get off the court.

Technically, I think it's still Upstate's serve. GAME ON!