Drip Drip Drip - Wikileaks

rickyb

Joshua Green‏Verified account @JoshuaGreen 13h13 hours ago

Hard to overstate the Trump campaign's enthusiasm for Julian Assange. I was backstage at Debate #2 and they literally had an Assange fanboy poster on the wall https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-27/inside-the-trump-bunker-with-12-days-to-go …

D333b-dWwAEPAvc.jpg

rickyb

WikiLeaks‏Verified account @wikileaks 4h4 hours ago

WikiLeaks Retweeted Micòl Savia

Representative of the International Association of Democratic Lawyers at the #UnitedNations in Geneva, Micol Savia

WikiLeaks added,

Micòl Savia @MicolSavia
"No State Party shall expel, return ("refouler") or extradite a person to another State where there are substantial grounds for believing that he would be in danger of being subjected to torture". Art. 3 of the Convention against Torture, ratified by the UK in 1988. #Assange
56 replies 592 retweets 957 likes

rickyb

WikiLeaks‏Verified account @wikileaks 6h6 hours ago

WikiLeaks Retweeted Amnesty Ireland

WikiLeaks added,

Amnesty IrelandVerified account @AmnestyIreland
We're calling on the UK to refuse to extradite Assange to the US, where there is a real risk he could face #humanrights violations, inc. detention conditions that would violate the prohibition of torture & an unfair trial followed by possible execution --> Julian Assange must not be extradited to the US - Amnesty International Ireland
66 replies 740 retweets 1,460 likes

rickyb

It was long known by the Obama DOJ and was explicitly part of Manning’s trial, yet the Obama DOJ – not exactly renowned for being stalwart guardians of press freedoms – concluded it could not and should not prosecute Assange because indicting him would pose serious threats to press freedom.

In other words, the indictment seeks to criminalize what journalists are not only permitted but ethically required to do: take steps to help their sources maintain their anonymity. As long-time Assange lawyer Barry Pollack put it: “the factual allegations…boil down to encouraging a source to provide him information and taking efforts to protect the identify of that source. Journalists around the world should be deeply troubled by these unprecedented criminal charges.”

That’s why the indictment poses such a grave threat to press freedom. It characterizes as a felony many actions that journalists are not just permitted but required to take in order to conduct sensitive reporting in the digital age.

But in 2013, the Obama DOJ concluded that it could not prosecute Assange in connection with publication of those documents because there was no way to distinguish what WikiLeaks did from what the New York Times, the Guardian and numerous media outlets around the world routinely do: namely, work with sources to publish classified documents.

As the New York Times reported late last year, “Soon after he took over as C.I.A. director, [current Secretary of State] Mike Pompeo privately told lawmakers about a new target for American spies: Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks.” The Times added that “Mr. Pompeo and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions unleashed an aggressive campaign against Mr. Assange, reversing an Obama-era view of WikiLeaks as a journalistic entity.”

The U.S. Government’s Indictment of Julian Assange Poses Grave Threats to Press Freedoms

Mutineer

Asylum for Assange seems more than legit. Revoking it is to set quite a precedent. That's just plain rotten.

But the thing I find most confusing is how an Australian citizen with no allegiance to the U.S. should be made to answer to the U.S.

I MUST be missing something.

Sportello

Asylum for Assange seems more than legit. Revoking it is to set quite a precedent. That's just plain rotten.

But the thing I find most confusing is how an Australian citizen with no allegiance to the U.S. should be made to answer to the U.S.

I MUST be missing something.
Perhaps

rickyb

GLENN GREENWALD: I think the most important fact is that the arrest warrant, according to Assange’s longtime lawyer Jennifer Robinson, is based on allegations that Assange conspired or collaborated with Chelsea Manning with regard to the 2010 leaks of Iraq and Afghanistan war logs and diplomatic cables—a theory that the Obama Justice Department tried for a long time to pursue, but found no evidence for, in order to be able to justify prosecuting Assange and not face the accusation that they were endangering press freedoms by prosecuting Assange for something The New York Times and The Guardian and every other media outlet in the world routinely does, which is publish classified information.

Even if it were true that Assange collaborated with Manning—and, again, the Justice Department of President Obama looked everywhere and found no evidence of that—it would still be a grave threat to press freedoms, because journalists all the time work with their sources in order to obtain classified information so that they can report on it. It’s the criminalization of journalism by the Trump Justice Department and the gravest threat to press freedom, by far, under the Trump presidency, infinitely worse than having Donald Trump tweet mean things about various reporters at CNN or NBC. And every journalist in the world should be raising their voice as loudly as possible to protest and denounce this.

...doing everything they could to coerce Ecuador, under President M, to do something that President Correa refused to do, which is violate international law, withdraw Julian Assange’s asylum.

NERMEEN SHAIKH: Well, Glenn Greenwald, I want to ask you. The American Civil Liberties Union has just issued a statement, Ben Wizner saying that the prosecution of Assange is especially troubling because “prosecuting a foreign publisher for violating U.S. secrecy laws would set an especially dangerous precedent for U.S. journalists, who routinely violate foreign secrecy laws to deliver information vital to the public’s interest.” Glenn Greenwald, can you respond to that, I mean, what U.S. journalists do and regarding this foreign secrecy laws?

GLENN GREENWALD: Well, I think that is one of the remarkable aspects of this, is that Julian Assange is not an American citizen. I think he visited the U.S. once for about three days. WikiLeaks is a foreign-based media organization. So, the idea that the U.S. government can just extend its reach to any news outlet anywhere in the world and criminalize publication of documents or working with sources is extremely chilling. That would mean, for example, that China or North Korea or Iran could do the same thing if a U.S. news outlet published its secrets, which sometimes they do. It would mean that Iran would have the ability, or China, to issue an international arrest warrant and demand that the reporters who work for the U.S. news outlets be extradited to those countries.

Julian Assange of WikiLeaks Arrested in London; Faces U.S. Charge Related to Chelsea Manning Leaks | Democracy Now!

rickyb

i think govts want to criminalize journalism. im sure its illegal in many 3rd world countries, but as the western govts are taken over by concentrations of wealth, they naturally want to take away people rights including free press.

rickyb

chomsky says the period we are in reminds him of pre world war II with the facists although not exactly. he compares the illegal arrest of julian assange to the arrest of antonio gramsci by mussolini, and they are simply silencing truth tellers. he says the US is once again over reaching into other countries which no other country does. says assange is one of the worlds most important political prisoners.

rickyb

NERMEEN SHAIKH: And what do you expect, Jesselyn, that will happen now? I mean, in effect, a 45-year sentence—I mean, the charges that he has against him in the U.S. could lead to up to 45 years in prison. Is that what you understand?

JESSELYN RADACK: That’s my understanding. And this would be an incredibly chilling precedent that would put at risk all journalists and publishers, including Democracy Now!, including The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Guardian, for reporting truthful information, classified or not, which is in the public interest.

AMY GOODMAN: Now, what are these charges? They have never actually been revealed, if in fact they are there. Is that correct, Jesselyn?

JESSELYN RADACK: They were apparently inadvertently revealed. These would be charges under the Espionage Act, which, unfortunately, President Obama resurrected, after being dormant for a century, resurrected this old law and has been using it not to go after spies, but rather to go after whistleblowers. And unfortunately, it created a precedent that now President Trump can run with. So, when you suddenly have someone in power that we don’t “trust” the way people trusted Obama, here you’re seeing the full fruition of what that looks like. And again, this would be an incredibly chilling precedent that has been created today with the arrest of Julian Assange. He is a publisher. He’s a journalist. He’s a media outlet. That puts you and any other reporter, journalist, publisher at risk.

Julian Assange of WikiLeaks Arrested in London; Faces U.S. Charge Related to Chelsea Manning Leaks | Democracy Now!

rickyb

dan ellsberg says the arrest of julian assange is a major attack on the first amendment, thinks the republic is in its last days if the press is finished, and a major attack on journalism.

rickyb

GEOFFREY ROBERTSON: Well, I mean, let’s start at the beginning. Those assurances are a confidence trick to mislead ignorant journalists. In Britain, it’s law that you cannot extradite anyone to a country to face the death penalty. So, having these assurances are neither not to the point. What is sought by America in this warrant that was signed 15 months ago—they’ve been plotting this for quite a while—is that he be sent to America for trial on charges carrying up to 45 years, which, for a man of Assange’s health and age, is in effect a death penalty. So, forget all about the death penalty. Britain will send Assange to America, if its extradition request is upheld by the court.

But I must say that after giving him asylum and giving him the promise of asylum, to hand him over to the police, without giving him any warning or opportunity to go elsewhere, is a cruel and astonishing breach of faith by this rotten Ecuadorean government. It will go down in the annals of human rights as a disgusting act. But, of course, it was encouraged by Mr. Pence, who visited Ecuador, offered it and gave it loans and so forth. So, there’s blood money in the background.

But I think, for Americans who value, as everyone does, your First Amendment, you have this problem, that your government is seeking to imprison an Australian, a non-American—it doesn’t matter, he’s simply not American—on a theory of the First Amendment which would deprive its protection to all foreign journalists working, indeed, for American papers. So, it would be a grave inroad in your own much-vaunted freedom of speech if Assange were to be offered up and sacrificed for so many years. Chelsea Manning got 35. Assange is accused of conspiring with Chelsea Manning. They are the words on the warrant. So, he would get at least 35 years. And he wouldn’t be pardoned by President Trump, as Manning was pardoned by President Obama. So, that’s, I think, the seriousness of this development today.

It was probably inevitable that Ecuador, this crummy little state, would be leant upon by America and yield up Mr. Assange in spite of its promise of asylum. But he will now be imprisoned. He will be entitled to ask for bail. America, no doubt, will object. And it will go through the English courts, who will have to decide whether the treaty, extradition treaty, we have with the United States allows an Englishman or an Australian to be thrown to the wolves in America because of what they have published. It makes a nonsense of freedom of speech. We have a Human Rights Act with a qualified guarantee of free speech. We have the European Convention. So, there is a chance that Mr. Assange would be able to show what hypocrites you Americans are, or the Trump administration is, in trying to put him in prison, where they couldn’t put the editor of The New York Times, who published the same material, in prison.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
they want to silence him, sherlock.

Bingo. That's why the charges were written to only charge him in his alliance with Snowden/Manning. They don't want him being termed a journalist.

It's so revealing that Trump mentioned and praised Wikileaks something like 164 times during his campaign, and now he knows nothing about Wikileaks. "It isn't his thing" was the quote. Well, it certainly was in 2015-16, and now, Trump throws Assange under the bus, much like anyone else who has helped him in the past but is now somehow a liability.