Driver probationary period

spicster

I began my new driver probationary period 3 weeks ago and worked 9 of those days as a driver and layed off the rest of the time.

I have heard that the probationary period is 30 working days in a 90 day period. I have 2 months to get the 30 days in.

My questions are:
What happens if I don't get the 30 days in the 90 days?

Am I entitled to being first on the list when bidding starts again?

What is meant by "free period" and when is this?

Just waiting in wings. thanks

rod

Retired 22 years
Free period used to be from Thanksgiving thru Christmas. During that time you didn't gain any days toward seniority. It might have encluded June, July and August also. That was so long ago:happy2:

Big Babooba

I began my new driver probationary period 3 weeks ago and worked 9 of those days as a driver and layed off the rest of the time.

I have heard that the probationary period is 30 working days in a 90 day period. I have 2 months to get the 30 days in.

My questions are:
What happens if I don't get the 30 days in the 90 days?

Am I entitled to being first on the list when bidding starts again?

What is meant by "free period" and when is this?

Just waiting in wings. thanks
Ask your steward. You should be able to find out from him/her.Probationary periods differ in each regional supplement.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Easter's coming so you'll probably be called in soon. Are you a seniority part time UPS'er? Do you call in every morning? How many other people are on the call in list ahead of you?

spicster

Easter's coming so you'll probably be called in soon. Are you a seniority part time UPS'er? Do you call in every morning? How many other people are on the call in list ahead of you?

Yes I am currently working part time when not driving. I do call in every morning. I am at the top of the list of new drivers on probation. The driver ahead of me who is done with his probationary period has been working on and off this past 2 weeks.

Yes I think you are right that things will start picking up, but am alittle worried on getting my time in before the 90 days are up. I am keeping good records of when I drive because I am getting paid drivers pay when work in the building and this may cause some confusion when approaching the 90 days.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
Good job on the record keeping keep it up. The 90 days can become a sliding "window" of time with the 1st day dropping off and the 91st being added and so on. Once you have your 90 it is my understanding that the day you transfered is your seniority date (your 1st day of orientation).:punk:

Overpaid Union Thug

Show up to work every morning. You never know what'll happen. Other full-time drivers might take a day off if they see there is other bodies there waiting to get behind the wheel.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Show up to work every morning. You never know what'll happen. Other full-time drivers might take a day off if they see there is other bodies there waiting to get behind the wheel.
Good idea if he doesn't live too far away. Late Air, Early AM's, missorts for or from other centers can mean some easy extra work. I knew young guys who did the same thing & the OMS would call people in seniority order but the higher people had already made plans when they didn't have work an hour before start time. So the body at the building got the work.