Driver to mechanic

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Is it possible to go from an rpcd to a mechanic position? If it is then how do I go about doing it? I’ve got the tools already and the desire to do it.

trotsky

Dont they need ase certification? Same reason theres no sign up sheet for flying the planes, its an actual skill position.

trotsky

I really hope that by telling us he's already got the tools he's implying that he's already got the skills too.
Looked this up, seems to be the same across a few hubs

UPS is hiring individuals to work as Full-Time Automotive Technicians. Fleet diesel and gas experience or trade school training are highly desirable. Diagnostic and troubleshooting skills are encouraged. UPS Automotive Technicians must be at least 21 years old, proficient operating standard transmission vehicles and meet DOT driving requirements. Technicians should have a complete set of hand tools, UPS will provide larger shop tools

trotsky

I really hope that by telling us he's already got the tools he's implying that he's already got the skills too.
1654810160180.png

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

UPS is hiring individuals to work as Full-Time Automotive Technicians. Fleet diesel and gas experience or trade school training are highly desirable. Diagnostic and troubleshooting skills are encouraged. UPS Automotive Technicians must be at least 21 years old, proficient operating standard transmission vehicles and meet DOT driving requirements. Technicians should have a complete set of hand tools, UPS will provide larger shop tools
Doesn’t really inspire a lot confidence….

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

How hard could it be as long as you can write
“Parts on order ok to run”
You’ll be aight

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Talk to automotive supervisor. They are posting fliers in the hub trying to recruit part times to be mechanics

Johney

They've posted bids in my old building for mechanic positions. One of the mechanics hired was a shifter from another building.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
You need to find out if the mechanics in your building are Teamsters, if they are then you can sign the bid and see what happens. If they are IAM then you would have to quit and start over, it's a 2 year progression and starts at 32 a hour or so.

They dont require ASE certs, I had all of them and let them expire years before I applied at UPS, only one they cared about was my refrigerant license, I guess to cover their ass if the EPA checks

What kind of experience do you have? They are going to want to see a track record of working in repair shops, I had over 15 years in the trade when I applied but we have had a few guys get hired with 5 years or less and no putting a fart can on a civic does not qualify as experience
. Just want to put that out there because we have had those guys apply