Drivers PLEASE answer these questions for me EMERGENCY

P

PD3 isnt for me

Feel free to ignore my backstory and just answer the questions.

Backstory: I really have to make a decision fast that it's a big one life-wise. I em the head supervisors favorite loader in the whole building since im the fastest and never get misloads. They are going to ask me most likely tomorrow if i want to be a PT supervisor since i was given the heads up about it. My dilema is i want to be a driver in the future. I have to decide between part-time supervisor and staying in college. Once i finish my associates i dont really know what i want to major in so maybe i would rather just be a UPS driver for the rest of my life.

Questions:

1. Are the hours horrible all year or just peak season? Like say im a driver for 5 years. Will i work like 8 hours a day average? Or still 8-12? Like eventually in my life i would like just have an 8 hour a day job.

2. Do a lot of people fail out during training? This would suck if i failed their training thing after declined the supervisor position i would have nothing.

3. Is the job safe? do you think i will get injured or killed before i retire if i make this my career?

4. Say you are a driver for 2+ years. What sort of things can they instantly fire you for if you are in the union and stuff?

5. Any hot chicks on the routes? If i stop with college at two-year-degree instead of four. I need somewhere to meet my future wife if i cant meet her in my classes.

I HAVE LITERALLY TIL TOMORROW AT 5PM TO DECIDE. SO THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATION.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Feel free to ignore my backstory and just answer the questions.

Backstory: I really have to make a decision fast that it's a big one life-wise. I em the head supervisors favorite loader in the whole building since im the fastest and never get misloads. They are going to ask me most likely tomorrow if i want to be a PT supervisor since i was given the heads up about it. My dilema is i want to be a driver in the future. I have to decide between part-time supervisor and staying in college. Once i finish my associates i dont really know what i want to major in so maybe i would rather just be a UPS driver for the rest of my life.

Questions:

1. Are the hours horrible all year or just peak season? Like say im a driver for 5 years. Will i work like 8 hours a day average? Or still 8-12? Like eventually in my life i would like just have an 8 hour a day job.

2. Do a lot of people fail out during training? This would suck if i failed their training thing after declined the supervisor position i would have nothing.

3. Is the job safe? do you think i will get injured or killed before i retire if i make this my career?

4. Say you are a driver for 2+ years. What sort of things can they instantly fire you for if you are in the union and stuff?

5. Any hot chicks on the routes? If i stop with college at two-year-degree instead of four. I need somewhere to meet my future wife if i cant meet her in my classes.

I HAVE LITERALLY TIL TOMORROW AT 5PM TO DECIDE. SO THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATION.

Your life is not going to be decided by 5PM tomorrow night.

You can become a supervisor at any time if you want. You can put in application any time.

So, gather some facts and chill out a little.

brett636

I'm no driver, so I can't answer the questions about the hours, but here is what I bet most will tell you when it comes to your degree. Stay in school, get the degree. Then decide on what to do with your life. As far as becoming a PT supervisor if you aren't sure about it don't do it. You can always decide later, and if they ask just tell them the time is not right. I'm sure you know from working in the hub that your job is quite physical, and from what I gather from current package car drivers that I know and what I read on these forums, driving is just as physical if not more so. Add to that the stress everyday of getting your air delivered on time when you have a late departure from the building or getting back to your family at night before the kids are in bed is another big gripe I hear from package car drivers. UPS is far from a bad choice as a career, just don't it let be your only one.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Questions:

This is unlikely. but if you get really good at your route and depend on how heavy the route too, you might finish the day in 8-9 hours.

The actual training course is not very hard. what you need to worry about it's your 30 days ACCIDENT FREE trial. I heard this 1 guy got an accident on his 27th day, poor guy's crying in the office and begging for a chance to stay. needless to say they didn't pity him........

Unless you are delivering in IraQ :laugh: the job is very safe, just remember the 5 seeing habit AGKLM and pay attention to your job.

Stealing anything> Company's time, Packages ect..........that would be the number 1 job killer.

Depend on the route, if you have alot of business stops then you might meet some decent working chicks. But then again you gonna be busy and might not have time to chat with them.

I HAVE LITERALLY TIL TOMORROW AT 5PM TO DECIDE. SO THANK YOU FOR ANY INFORMATION.[/quote]

Think hard on what you want to do with your life. Most people don't get a second chance in life, and any chance they miss now could make them regret for a lifetime. The degree you'll recieve from college will NEVER EVER be a burden, it will always help you later on in life. Be good at what you do, and be proud of it. PT sup is a good way to go and earn your degree while doing it. No matter how much drivers get paid, it is an unskilled position which can be replaced with anyone anytime. don't be a fool and stay in school........Good luck to you.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Get your degree 1st. You can go into supervision anytime. Try driving if you want to meet some of the most unique people on the face of the earth. The job can be the most "ing" in many ways. Frustrating, Fulfilling, Gratifying, Disgusting, Amusing, Tiring.....I'm sure others will want to add more "ing's"!

hoser

Industrial Slob
don't put your education on hold for a paycheque. i know people who have done this and they have regreted it and likely will regret it for many many years.

beentheredonethat

don't put your education on hold for a paycheque. i know people who have done this and they have regreted it and likely will regret it for many many years.
I agree, get your degree. If your long term goal is to be a UPS driver, In many areas, you have a better chance of doing this by staying PT union and getting your seniority to the point you can bid for a driver job. If your long term goal is to get a degree, then stay on PT union, if you get your degree, you may get a FT job at UPS still as a driver or in mgmt, or you can leave and work elsewhere.

Brownnblue

I agree with the other posters, stay in school and get your degree, especially if you are very passionate about the field you are studying. If I was offered a job at about 25% less pay but in a field I liked, I would leave UPS (after 20 years) in a heartbeat.

It's a good idea to keep all of your options open, especially at a young age. I have a degree, but I made some bad career choices and wound up as a driver.

I found a number of things that I would have liked to have gone into, but I found them way too late in life. Don't make the same mistake. Look around, and if UPS seems like the best option, take that road.

DS

Fenderbender
I have a degree, but I made some bad career choices and wound up as a driver.

I know I`m gonna get jumped on for this but its what I think.
If you get your degree its no guarantee of a good job.

you seem a bit afraid of working more than 8 hours a day.
If you cant get over this you will HATE being a driver.

If you dont like firing people stay away from PT management .
You will never have control and will be putting out fires forever.

You are afraid of screwing up as a driver...who knows,you might be one of the 2 %ers that can do it without sticking a pen in the center managers eye.And have no accidents as well.

brownblue is showing thier true colors,but the truth is
being a ups driver is a pretty good job.
No need to go to the gym,good pay,good benefits.
IMHO screw mngmt and hang in there for a life
of manual labor and get paid well for it.

B

BLACK BOX

You Know For Someone To Be Considered For A P/t Sup I'm Wondering Where You're Heads At? (any Hot Chicks On Your Route?) . You Sound Awfully Young And Imature. Keep Focus On You're Goal, You've Got Your Priority's All Mixed Up.....face Your Fears, You'll Be Surprised What You're Capable Of Doing.

SmithBarney

1. Depends on where you are, I've heard from visiting drivers(yes we have them cause we are in dire need) that they never work past 9hrs on a regular basis. As example our center has been horrible all summer, I just finished another 12 hour day(4 so far this week, grievences filed) So it depends where you are.

2. Not many fail during training, cause training really is nothing like driving.

3. Job is safe if you follow methods, I feel that portions are unsafe, but nothing drastic.

4. Dishonesty and Stealing, are termination with no union backing.
Most other items the union will get your job back.

5. I met my Wife on my route. So its possible, if your in a small town
you'll eventually know almost everyone, so when you go out on the town
you'll be recognized, even if you don't recognize everyone.

Remember you have 30 working days to qualify and you can back out
and go back to Part-time if thats what you were before.

P

PD3 is not for me

Alright i did not get a chance to read these replies before i went to work today. They called me in and said i could be supervisor and i said "no." So i em losing 800$ a month not being a supervisor and being a loader. I can always re-apply for supervisor someday but im currently losing 800$ a month. People are saying i could be driver as soon as 3-6 months. I just really hope i dont screw driver up or hate it. That would be a lot of money down the drain for someone my age.

hoser

Industrial Slob
If you get your degree its no guarantee of a good job.
Of course a degree is no guarantee of a "good job". A degree is to prove you can stick with BS for 4 years and/or to prove you acheived higher learning. However, a degree is the slightest difference between being "in" and being outside looking in. You probably couldn't advance further than the centre without a degree. Don't surrender the possibility of your higher education for "great pay and you don't have to go to the gym!" If you're dissatasfied with your life as a driver in 10 years, your degree is your ticket out.

Unless I get promoted to supervisor and I'm REALLY happy, once I get out of university, I'm getting the hell out of this organization. Unless everything else fails.

Brownnblue

brownblue is showing thier true colors,but the truth is
being a ups driver is a pretty good job.
No need to go to the gym,good pay,good benefits.
IMHO screw mngmt and hang in there for a life
of manual labor and get paid well for it.

Not quite sure what your trying to say here, but you are correct in saying there are some positive aspects to being a driver, mostly financial. However I would gladly trade going to the gym for a job where I did not have to hear my supervisors say that "any monkey can do this job."

Why would anyone jump on you for saying a degree is no guarantee of a good job, quite frankly it's not a guarantee of a job at all.

I should know better than to post after a poorly dispatched day. If I came off as too bitter, apologies.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not quite sure what your trying to say here, but you are correct in saying there are some positive aspects to being a driver, mostly financial. However I would gladly trade going to the gym for a job where I did not have to hear my supervisors say that "any monkey can do this job."

Why would anyone jump on you for saying a degree is no guarantee of a good job, quite frankly it's not a guarantee of a job at all.

I should know better than to post after a poorly dispatched day. If I came off as too bitter, apologies.
I know a lot of people that have a degree that are now selling cars or are a "crew person or on a Team" Just because you have a degree is not a guaranteed ticket to financial happiness. Talk to 10 people who have a degree and I bet 8 of them aren't working in that field. Yes to education but don't view it as a sure fire ticket to happiness. Common sense will get you a lot farther in life.