Driving advice needed

billerz

You most certainly can do a left at with a COD.
So who would pay you?
So in your hypothetical scenario, the business is closed but left the check with the neighbor and left a note asking for you to leave it there?
Sure you got me... You must live in a much friendlier place than I do lol, I would almost bet a paycheck that wouldn't happen where I deliver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So who would pay you?
So in your hypothetical scenario, the business is closed but left the check with the neighbor and left a note asking for you to leave it there?
Sure you got me... You must live in a much friendlier place than I do lol, I would almost bet a paycheck that wouldn't happen where I deliver.

Adjacent businesses that have a good relationship. The business expecting the COD had to close unexpectedly and left the check with his neighbor.

upsgrunt

25 years ago I was attempting a COD at a house as a cover driver. The neighbor saw that I wasn't leaving it, and came out and said "I'll take it for them". I said that they owed money, and he pulled out his checkbook and said "I'll pay it".
I started laughing, and he asked what was so funny. I said this never happens. He says they'll pay me back. I thought, at this point I don't care.
Good times.

As far as a call tag being a paid send again- can you indirect a call tag?
There are columns on your WOR-
Net COD's
Net call tags
That is because they don't count as paid send agains.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
I need some advice about the situation I am in. Any help is appreciated.

I have been with the company for a little over a year now. Seniority date is July 20th. I went through driver training back at the end of April. The HR lady in charge of hiring drivers said I would be called 4-6 weeks after I got out of class for a Saturday air position. I ended up going into HR after 7 weeks only to find out that the lady who put me in training was no longer there. The new lady in charge has no idea how I got through training so quick and told me it was seniority based(no sh it) and to basically wait my turn and I would be called when needed.

Over the last month or two I have been called a couple times on Friday about driving. For different reasons I never got a chance to answer and had to wait until the next week to get in touch with her. According to her both times I got a hold of her it was too late and there were higher seniority people already going through training that week so I would have to wait..

So now we are approaching peak season obviously and she is trying to get me on Saturday within the next couple weeks and holiday driving 2nd or 3rd week of October. All the while more and more people are going through training so who knows when I will actually get on.

My actual question I am wondering is if I should just remove myself from Saturday driving and just do the holiday driving? I don't really want Saturday if I am going to be on holiday. My end goal is to go full time early next year so should I take advantage of the experience? Also a couple other people in my class only got one day with somebody training on Saturday as opposed to 3 days(?) when you go holiday/full time. I have been out of training for 5 months now and am not feeling the most confident as a lot of the stuff is not fresh in my head. Should I go in and go back over the computer lessons in my free time? I am mainly concerned about the DIAD. I also realize a lot of the job becomes much easier with hands on experience when you get out and do it. I just want to be as ready as possible.

Sorry for the rambling, any input is welcome.

The diad should be the least of your worries; it can be learned quickly through repetitive use.

I would advise you not to go into driving as a long term position.

KOG72

I’m full of it
You can stop complete, just have to acknowledge the overage/underage. Overage anyways, I believe you can being under a little, however I never give even if a penny under.
I've made customers go get another money order if the amount they had was less than what I needed,I'm not paying for there stuff.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
When we took cash it was +/- 99 cents.

The check can be over by any amount but must be less than $1 if under.

We were instructed years ago to accept payment if the amount was < a dollar under, because the expense of a second attempt would be eliminated. I have done this on several occasions with no problems of an irregular turn-in.

I change the cod amount in the diad to match the check. I also cut off that part of the label that shows the cod amount, with the amount circled. I include this part of the label with the check, in the turn-in envelope.
Complete transparency

upsgrunt

Why would you indirect the call tag? If the neighbor has the package, sheet and close out the stop as normal, leaving the receipt with the neighbor.

You missed the point.
Why would you even bother to ask a someone else, beside the consignee, about a call tag, HENCE, one cannot indirect a call tag.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My advice - all or nothing. If you are really desperate, drive whenever you can, at every opportunity. Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays, whatever.

On the other hand, I think BillyRay and RickyB (gasp) are right. Avoid it like the plague if you can. ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We were instructed years ago to accept payment if the amount was < a dollar under, because the expense of a second attempt would be eliminated. I have done this on several occasions with no problems of an irregular turn-in.

I change the cod amount in the diad to match the check. I also cut off that part of the label that shows the cod amount, with the amount circled. I include this part of the label with the check, in the turn-in envelope.
Complete transparency

Good advice other than the highlighted part. The COD department double checks the amount that we put in with the amount that the shipper put in and any differences will trigger a report.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I need some advice about the situation I am in. Any help is appreciated. Well, peak season is almost upon ups. They will be calling you for anything as they won't be prepared as usual...do what they say when they say it

I have been with the company for a little over a year now. Seniority date is July 20th. I went through driver training back at the end of April. The HR lady in charge of hiring drivers said I would be called 4-6 weeks after I got out of class for a Saturday air position. I ended up going into HR after 7 weeks only to find out that the lady who put me in training was no longer there. The new lady in charge has no idea how I got through training so quick and told me it was seniority based(no sh it) and to basically wait my turn and I would be called when needed.

Over the last month or two I have been called a couple times on Friday about driving. For different reasons I never got a chance to answer and had to wait until the next week to get in touch with her. According to her both times I got a hold of her it was too late and there were higher seniority people already going through training that week so I would have to wait..

So now we are approaching peak season obviously and she is trying to get me on Saturday within the next couple weeks and holiday driving 2nd or 3rd week of October. All the while more and more people are going through training so who knows when I will actually get on.

My actual question I am wondering is if I should just remove myself from Saturday driving and just do the holiday driving? I don't really want Saturday if I am going to be on holiday. My end goal is to go full time early next year so should I take advantage of the experience? Also a couple other people in my class only got one day with somebody training on Saturday as opposed to 3 days(?) when you go holiday/full time. I have been out of training for 5 months now and am not feeling the most confident as a lot of the stuff is not fresh in my head. Should I go in and go back over the computer lessons in my free time? I am mainly concerned about the DIAD. I also realize a lot of the job becomes much easier with hands on experience when you get out and do it. I just want to be as ready as possible.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I need some advice about the situation I am in. Any help is appreciated.

Leave now