Dry hands

DS

Fenderbender
My hands dry out bad every winter.I use tons of lubriderm whenever I can,but other than wearing gloves,(which I hate),I am trying something new called O'Keeffe's dry skin cream that I ordered from Amazon.
Here's what one day does to a heavy duty band aid.
IMG_20130116_192924.jpg

It is taking a long time,should be here Friday DHL...

Cover your hands in vasoline and then put socks over them while you sleep at night. Your hand will be 50% better in just one day. Do it for a week and they will be like brand new.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Avon makes a hand cream that works very good. Like 407 said I lather it on at night and takes just a few days to make me brand new.

Thin lotions like lubriderm don't do crap.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hand cream is designed to dry out your hands so you have to keep buying more. Same with Carmex. People get addicted to this crap. I buy 4 dollar gloves that last a month and my hands no longer crack.

BrownArmy

Here's my two cents...

Of course you're adequately hydrating... I know that because you're in the BROWN ARMY and you've gotten the memos, so I won't mention drinking 120% of the recommended daily H2O ration...

I have psoriasis, which in my case doesn't affect my hands very much, but it does make me well-versed on the topic of moisturization.

First, drink way more water than you want to (sorry couldn't resist).

There are creams, salves, lotions, oils, etc...

It's taken years of cardboard abuse to lead to your present situation, but you don't need to suffer needlessly.

If you don't wear gloves while you are working, you might try it out (I wear this brand of gloves: 'MAGID ROC10T-L', thin enough to work the DIAD, etc.). If you really can't stand wearing gloves, suck it up for two weeks and lube up your hands before you put the gloves on (with salve or oils). Cardboard boxes suck serious moisture from your hands.

As far as the emollients go, sesame and olive oils are awesome, but they make your hands smell like food. Jojoba oil is a better pick as it doesn't smell like food and works just as well, although it tends to be a bit more pricey.

As with anything else in this life, consistency is key...pick a routine that works for your lifestyle and your hand-therapy regimen and stick with it, whether it's 'wearing-moisture-filled-gloves-at-night', or 'wearing-moisture-filled-gloves-during-work', etc.

Personally, I can't wear gloves at night whilst sleeping. At all. Can't do it.

Cheers.

Buck Fifty

Here's my two cents...

Of course you're adequately hydrating... I know that because you're in the BROWN ARMY and you've gotten the memos, so I won't mention drinking 120% of the recommended daily H2O ration...

I have psoriasis, which in my case doesn't affect my hands very much, but it does make me well-versed on the topic of moisturization.

First, drink way more water than you want to (sorry couldn't resist).

There are creams, salves, lotions, oils, etc...

It's taken years of cardboard abuse to lead to your present situation, but you don't need to suffer needlessly.

If you don't wear gloves while you are working, you might try it out (I wear this brand of gloves: 'MAGID ROC10T-L', thin enough to work the DIAD, etc.). If you really can't stand wearing gloves, suck it up for two weeks and lube up your hands before you put the gloves on (with salve or oils). Cardboard boxes suck serious moisture from your hands.

As far as the emollients go, sesame and olive oils are awesome, but they make your hands smell like food. Jojoba oil is a better pick as it doesn't smell like food and works just as well, although it tends to be a bit more pricey.

As with anything else in this life, consistency is key...pick a routine that works for your lifestyle and your hand-therapy regimen and stick with it, whether it's 'wearing-moisture-filled-gloves-at-night', or 'wearing-moisture-filled-gloves-during-work', etc.

Personally, I can't wear gloves at night whilst sleeping. At all. Can't do it.

Cheers.

I had a girlfriend who loved using all these moisturizers. Loved reading the post. Brought back some fun memories. EMOLLIENTS (hell yeah). :bigsmile2:

stepitup

It is not so much as my hands get dry but they used to crack and split on the fingertips. There were times when I had to use superglue to hold them together. A regime of vitamins and saturating my hands with O'Keefes "working hands" lotion did the trick. This lotion is available at Lowes or Home Depot. Gloves are a must though.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ditto. I just bought some at Menards for 4 bucks a pair. The grip makes the pkgs seem lighter also.

An outfit called Pro Safety Supplies has them for $2.57 a pair. I used to use a brown cotton glove made by Jersey that had little rubber dots embeded in them. They were called Hob Nob Dots. At that time they cost about $1.29 a pair. I don't even know if they make them anymore. I got so used to wearing them that when it finally warmed up in the spring I actually had a hard time adjusting to running the DIAD without gloves.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For some reason I only have this problem with my right hand, the hand I use for the remote and or mouse?
My left hand is moist and supple when I wake up most mornings.
I've tried becoming ambidextrous, but it just isn't the same.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I never could stand wearing gloves unless I was putting chains on the truck. One thing that did work well when my hands got really bad was to wash some dishes after work. It gets your hands really clean and they can absorb a lot of moisture. Then use some good lotion like some mentioned above a few times before bed. I use to keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the truck for germs but it really dries out your hands. Then I found Gold Bond hand sanitizer moisturizer works good and keeps your hands from drying out. With all the flu going around I would use this often and rarely was sick and my hands looked marvelous.