Early Retirement Payout

Oldfart

And if you're paid enough to properly fund your 401k that can work. Most FedEx couriers aren't. And you have a better pension. We're talking about cashing out a traditional pension and investing in the stock market. Might work out, but very risky as one of the pillars of your retirement income. But a real boon to the company if they can get enough people to do it.
Most anyone can afford to put in 6%. Considering you are lowering your taxable income at the same time and getting a 55% return on your money right away, it is worth the sacrifice. How many people complain they are short on money as they sit in line at Starbucks or at 7/11 buying their Marlboro's and a 6 pack of Falstaff. You have to make sacrifices while you work to live comfortably when you retire. Instead of eating out every day for lunch, take your lunch and save that $45 a week. I have been taking my lunch most days for many years and not only can you eat healthier, you can save a ton of money in the process.

Valentines day is coming soon. Our station is adding extra routes next Saturday. If yours is, work some overtime. If yours isn't, you can walk into most any florist next week and they will put you to work next Saturday delivering flowers. I have done that on Mothers Day and Valentines day many times and loaded up my wife's mini van and made $5 a delivery. $150-200 cash money is not out of the question. Many people want to claim they don't have the money but not a whole lot of people want to do anything about it.

vantexan

Most anyone can afford to put in 6%. Considering you are lowering your taxable income at the same time and getting a 55% return on your money right away, it is worth the sacrifice. How many people complain they are short on money as they sit in line at Starbucks or at 7/11 buying their Marlboro's and a 6 pack of Falstaff. You have to make sacrifices while you work to live comfortably when you retire. Instead of eating out every day for lunch, take your lunch and save that $45 a week. I have been taking my lunch most days for many years and not only can you eat healthier, you can save a ton of money in the process.

Valentines day is coming soon. Our station is adding extra routes next Saturday. If yours is, work some overtime. If yours isn't, you can walk into most any florist next week and they will put you to work next Saturday delivering flowers. I have done that on Mothers Day and Valentines day many times and loaded up my wife's mini van and made $5 a delivery. $150-200 cash money is not out of the question. Many people want to claim they don't have the money but not a whole lot of people want to do anything about it.
You're misunderstanding me. Not talking about putting in 6% into 401k while working. Talking about retiring, taking lump sum on traditional pension. He's saying take it because you can easily get 6% return on lump sum. I'm saying too risky for most because lump sum not that much and hard to get 6% return on safe investments these days. Impossible actually.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're misunderstanding me. Not talking about putting in 6% into 401k while working. Talking about retiring, taking lump sum on traditional pension. He's saying take it because you can easily get 6% return on lump sum. I'm saying too risky for most because lump sum not that much and hard to get 6% return on safe investments these days. Impossible actually.

6% is a fairly low return.

Oldfart

You misunderstood me. I was referring to your post that "Most fedex couriers cant afford to fully fund their 401k" I was not talking about returns, rather the ability to put 6% into your 401k

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You misunderstood me. I was referring to your post that "Most fedex couriers cant afford to fully fund their 401k" I was not talking about returns, rather the ability to put 6% into your 401k

That's what makes our 401k such a joke. Few couriers can afford to max-out on a program that is supposed to be their retirement. Why? Low pay, and high-cost benefits.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

For once, I agree with you. I've been a single mom for awhile. I've been putting in 6% for a long time.

Oldfart

6% is a fairly low return.
If you are shooting for 8% return after you retire, you could be setting yourself up for a big surprise if the market has a bad year and it takes several years just recover your loss. I prefer a smaller return with less risk when I am retired. Just my opinion but that is not for everyone. You can use this calculator and watch your money grow with various returns and various withdrawals. Here is the link. "Savings Withdrawal Calculator"

Last edited:

Oldfart

That's what makes our 401k such a joke. Few couriers can afford to max-out on a program that is supposed to be their retirement. Why? Low pay, and high-cost benefits.
Not necessarily. That is why I talked about making sacrifices while you work. Stay away from Starbucks, take your lunch to work. Go work a Saturday or join me delivering flowers for a florist for Valentines day and Mothers day in May. Cancel the $30 movie package on your cable tv. I have family medical, dental and vision for about $200 a month. I don't consider that to be a high monthly premium.

vantexan

OK, sorry. But tell me, if a courier is making $17-$18hr after 15 years and trying to support a family will he be able to contribute enough? Remember his contributions are smaller than a topped out courier making $8hr more, as well as his match is smaller. Talk sacrifice all you want, a very large group of couriers neither got the deal you got or will have the financial future you have. Glad the new guys have a better deal, but we didn't and the company doesn't care. And would be doing the same still if they could get away with it.

Oldfart

OK, sorry. But tell me, if a courier is making $17-$18hr after 15 years and trying to support a family will he be able to contribute enough? Remember his contributions are smaller than a topped out courier making $8hr more, as well as his match is smaller. Talk sacrifice all you want, a very large group of couriers neither got the deal you got or will have the financial future you have. Glad the new guys have a better deal, but we didn't and the company doesn't care. And would be doing the same still if they could get away with it.
Sacrifice and conservative living. People can complain all they want about my top out pay and 2 pensions but I didn't wake up 1 day making 28.46 an hour. Sure I was topped out years ago but I still made sacrifices so I could save for my retirement. I lived very conservatively my entire life. Way below my means. NEVER had a new car or a car note. Financed my house for 15 years and sacrificed to pay it off in 13. You can really save a lot of money when you don't have a car note or a house note. I believe in the 12 to 15 years they have paid us for our unused sick days, I have only used 3 sick days. I get that 40 hr check every June. I have even made a little money with the "Lead On" program. I sell on Ebay and Craigslist. You hustle and sacrifice and 1 day you wake up and you have money in the bank and a good 401k. A person can save money no matter how much they make if they live right. I know people that can't make more than 50k combined family income and they live well and I know other people that make 6 figures and stay broke.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sacrifice and conservative living. People can complain all they want about my top out pay and 2 pensions but I didn't wake up 1 day making 28.46 an hour. Sure I was topped out years ago but I still made sacrifices so I could save for my retirement. I lived very conservatively my entire life. Way below my means. NEVER had a new car or a car note. Financed my house for 15 years and sacrificed to pay it off in 13. You can really save a lot of money when you don't have a car note or a house note. I believe in the 12 to 15 years they have paid us for our unused sick days, I have only used 3 sick days. I get that 40 hr check every June. I have even made a little money with the "Lead On" program. I sell on Ebay and Craigslist. You hustle and sacrifice and 1 day you wake up and you have money in the bank and a good 401k. A person can save money no matter how much they make if they live right. I know people that can't make more than 50k combined family income and they live well and I know other people that make 6 figures and stay broke.

No. Wrong answer. Back to the Dunce Corner with Dano.

Oldfart

No. Wrong answer. Back to the Dunce Corner with Dano.
Coming from the most negative dick head on the forum, I just consider the source. But then again, according you, you have 2 college degrees and a net worth of over 9 million $, so you must know something. What exactly that is remains to be seen.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yea buddy, but he beat the person that you have an erection for. Hope you don't get any on you every time you see her picture.

He did win, but not exactly fair and square. I think Vlad helped a lot, which does remain to be proven. Actually, I'm sorry to the late Bozo for comparing him to Trump.

I'm sorry. Back to the corner.

Oldfart

He did win, but not exactly fair and square. I think Vlad helped a lot, which does remain to be proven. Actually, I'm sorry to the late Bozo for comparing him to Trump.

I'm sorry. Back to the corner.
The Russians just released the emails your party was hoping to keep private. Your poster lady just got caught. Your party emails about how to defeat Bernie was a good 1. Your party getting the questions in advance for 1 of the debates was another good 1. You can go on back to the privacy of your bathroom with a photo of Hillary and have a great night.

Trump=President

Hillary&MFE=Loser

Bummer

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are shooting for 8% return after you retire, you could be setting yourself up for a big surprise if the market has a bad year and it takes several years just recover your loss. I prefer a smaller return with less risk when I am retired. Just my opinion but that is not for everyone. You can use this calculator and watch your money grow with various returns and various withdrawals. Here is the link. "Savings Withdrawal Calculator"

That is what I pay "my guy" to do.

vantexan

Welcome to the club. We had to do all of that because we didn't have the extra money. You were smart and lived within your means and saved the rest. But you had extra money to save and we didn't. Doesn't matter if so and so makes 100k and is always broke. I never made 50k.