Eating dust in a diesel.

browned out

I was driving an 8 cube gas car and was recently swithed to a 10 cube diesel. The power steering and low step and wide door are a very nice change. The only downside is eating all the dust on the dirt roads. I have had this problem with 7 cube diesels also because the low step next to the front tire funnels all the dust into the car. Anybody have any tips, tired of have dust for lunch and dinner. The first brew of the evening has no taste, it just makes a beer mud mix in my gut.

Brownedout

swing_drv

If it's only a couple of dirt roads I do this. Close both doors and slide both windows open . Works like a charm for me.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Ask who's in charge of your centers disaster kit. Every center is supposed to be prepared in case of a major incident, maybe you could "borrow" a couple of surgical masks.

30andout

If it's only a couple of dirt roads I do this. Close both doors and slide both windows open . Works like a charm for me.
I have a few stone roads and its either choke on the dust or be a little hot for a couple of minutes. I usually wish I had closed the doors after I start down the road. It looks like my trucks on fire when I open the bulkhead door after going down a stone road, haven't found a good solution for that one yet.

gumbybros

I went from a 500 to a 700, and I'm on about 50% dirt roads. I had never heard anyone complain about the dust, so the first day I'm just crapping myself, choking on all the dust. I told them about it when I got in, and the bosses had a good laugh. "You'll get used to it". The worst thing is the packages get so dirty, I'm ashamed to hand them to a person.

30andout

I went from a 500 to a 700, and I'm on about 50% dirt roads. I had never heard anyone complain about the dust, so the first day I'm just crapping myself, choking on all the dust. I told them about it when I got in, and the bosses had a good laugh. "You'll get used to it". The worst thing is the packages get so dirty, I'm ashamed to hand them to a person.
I usually blow the dust off just before I hand them. That really impresses people.:lol:

L

Limpin to 30

Close your doors on gravel, open side vent, and turn fan on high this will pressurize the cargo area...if it is summer you will sweat so pound the fluids!!!

SmithBarney

Guess what its in the contract, dust seals must be replaced etc etc.. if noted on the DVIR.. Keep writing it up until its fixed. tell your boss "to get used to it.."
Say its a safety hazard, as dust gets in your eyes, you can't see well.

If they say slow down(which I doubt)

Tell them they'll have to adjust your dispatch to allow for 15mph driving on those roads.. ;)

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm sure one of the less senior guys that are busting their butts downtown in a P100 or bigger would gladly trade with you. I always found it easier to pick a booger every once in awhile in a P500 than to deliver a loaded to the ceiling P1000.