End of an Era--Borders to Close Remaining Stores

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-borders-bankrupt,0,2928708.story

Border's did not adjust to changing market conditions, including arriving too late to the e-reader party, and will be liquidating and closing the remaining 399 stores starting as early as this Friday. This is a shame as I used to enjoy an (overpriced) cup of coffee while skimming through the latest John Grisham novel. It also means the loss of 11,000 jobs.

This should serve as a wake-up call for those merchants who are still hesitant to shift their focus in part to e-commerce. Online shopping continues to grow in popularity and merchants who aren't willing or fail to take advantage of this may find themselves on the outside looking in.

That's too bad, I hate to see any business go belly up. Well, there are some businesses that I don't personally think should be in business to start with but that's just my opinion on the type of business. But for for sake of principle a business going out isn't a good thing. I'm sure the E-book things put a hit on all book stores, some adapted some didn't. Get yourself a Nook and a starbucks, enjoy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The only "big" bookstore in my hometown. Borders was the only reason I ever went to the Mall ... now there is no reason. Our family will miss it.

You go to the Barnes and Noble by us and everyone is sitting around drinking coffee and reading the books for free. I`m amazed they`re still in business.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
:( Bad News :(

I like to go to Borders and hang around in their coffee shop while drinking an overpriced coffee and thumbing through a stack of books and magazines. They have it set up to encourage people to spend time there. Sometimes they even have a musician playing live music...

Our local store always has people in it and there always seems to be a line at the check out counter. It's really disappointing to know that they are closing.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm still p.o.'ed from when Crown Books closed !! They always had 30% off of new releases. I could never understand how the "full price" book stores were making it and the discount one was biting the dust. Kindle makes Karma!!

I'm still p.o.'ed from when Crown Books closed !! They always had 30% off of new releases. I could never understand how the "full price" book stores were making it and the discount one was biting the dust. Kindle makes Karma!!
The "full price" stores are trendy...same reason Starbucks is successful

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was in the mall yesterday and Borders was the busiest I had seen it in a long time. Amazing how 40% off brings people out of the woodwork. Word on the street is Barnes and Noble is looking to take over the more profitable locations.