Engines in upstate NY's delivery trucks ans semi trucks.

broker1

I have just been offered a UPS mechanic job and was wondering if anyone can tell me what engines are in the delivery and semi trucks. Just to lead me in the right direction. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you

OptimusPrime

I'm a gear head, and still have no idea. None of our trucks have any sort of livery, badges, etc. It's a mixed bag. We have diesels, turbo diesels, NA gassers. If I had to guess what UPS looks for in terms of mechanics is guys who specialize in tranny work. When a motor pukes, assume they do a crate engine swap, and send the remains for an complete over haul, then resend that motor as a full unit.

UPSGUY72

I have just been offered a UPS mechanic job and was wondering if anyone can tell me what engines are in the delivery and semi trucks. Just to lead me in the right direction. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you

The different engines are the least of the problems your going to have to deal with.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All the old drivers that are retired always ask so what engine do these things have in them now? I know my vehicles pretty well. My personal vehicles. As for my work truck don't know don't care. As long as it starts when I ask it to and the brakes work I'm good.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The P700 I drive has a 4.3 liter, 170 HP, Daimler Benz 4-cylinder turbo-diesel bolted into a Freightliner chassis.

Big Babooba

Your inquiry got the best of me. I had to pop the hood of my P 51 and have a look. HOLY CRAP!!!
[video=youtube;fYTJ9v2vsaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTJ9v2vsaE[/video]

DS

Fenderbender
The P700 I drive has a 4.3 liter, 170 HP, Daimler Benz 4-cylinder turbo-diesel bolted into a Freightliner chassis.
Great answer,did you ask the mechanic?
I'm gonna take a pic of mine and post it tomorrow,I think it's a Cummins diesel,I may be wrong.

rod

Retired 22 years
There was a time when every package car in my center (and possibly all of Minnesota) had a Ford 300ci six cylinder in it. Didn't matter if it was an flat top Econoline or the largest truck we had-- a P600. When I started delivering in 1971 I used a 1962 P600 that had a 300 six in it. They used to get about 80,000 miles out of an engine which don't sound like much but those things had the crap beat out of them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Ok, here I go....... At my center, sharing yogurt use to be mandatory. hehehehehe That sup has since left. hehehehehe You can't make up the stuff that goes on at the 'Black Hole'.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There was a time when every package car in my center (and possibly all of Minnesota) had a Ford 300ci six cylinder in it. Didn't matter if it was an flat top Econoline or the largest truck we had-- a P600. When I started delivering in 1971 I used a 1962 P600 that had a 300 six in it. They used to get about 80,000 miles out of an engine which don't sound like much but those things had the crap beat out of them.

Back in the day there would be 4 or 5 of those Ford 300-6 engines sitting on the floor of the shop, strapped to pallets, brand new from the factory and waiting to be installed. One peak I threw a connecting rod out of the bottom of the oil pan of the P-600 I was driving-- totally destroying the engine---only to find myself in the same car the next morning with a brand new motor in it. I think that removing and reinstalling an engine was something like a 6 or 7 hour job at the most.

Ive always had a fondness for the Ford 300-6 engine; I got my drivers license in a 1967 Ford friend-100 with the 300-6, manual steering, and 4 spd manual with granny gear for first. I also lost my virginity in that truck. A few years later when I got hired at UPS, driving a P-600 was pretty much like being in high school again.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Ive always had a fondness for the Ford 300-6 engine....

One Christmas, I lost my GMC p500 and was given a Ford 300 p600. It was an old pos, and I hated driving it. Management told me that as soon as it died, I'd get a new(er) p500. I tried for 6 months to kill that bastid. Sixty-five on the highway in third, climbing a mountain road full throttle in second trying to peg the temperature gauge, I beat the crap out of that thing. I finally asked our mechanic what I could do, and he told me that short of throwing a rod that they were pretty much bullet-proof.

I've often thought about buying an old Ford 4wd pickup with the 300 just for grins.:surprised: