Failed Keter Audit

wornoutupser

They don't care about you working off the clock or getting a lunch... This is a safety inspection, not a Union inspection...

During an internal safety audit, the safety co-chair in our building pointed out the over 70s going down a slide and on to the belt (crushing smaller packages). That is a big sfaety no no..

I have pictures of the over 70's going down the slide... .. I would LOVE to see the audit come here!

Another problem here is the "temporary" dock to load cars. It is "temporary" even though it will probably be there for months. It sits on uneven ground so you are walking on a slant all morning. There is no railing to keep you from falling off if you slip while walking on the slant.

Oh Well, thats just another shining example of "safety" in my facility!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm not 100% sure on this, but if I recall correctly, I believe we got a total score of 87.

When I was in school, a 87 (B) was o.k. with me...but I guess when it comes to safety, a high A should be the goal.

We failed ours, like I said before, the middle of December isn't a great time to do these. Our drivers did alright, although one of them drew a total blank and couldn't repeat any of the safety training. Our biggest problem was the Preload. Half of them are just here for peak, they couldn't answer hardly anything. I managed to avoid the audit, the only time I saw them was when I had to back out of the building to get out in the AM. I did honk my horn as usual but I put on my flashers for extra show. I know my "all good kids like milk" for the Five Seeing Habits, but I don't have the Ten Point Commentary memorized. I expect we will be getting a new round of Safety Training now.:sad-little:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Well i figured if i made a post on here concerning safety it would be addressed and resolved. I would like to say that it was adressed the very next day, but tonight again the feeder department blocked the forward progress of package cars forcing drivers AGAIN to back into these pumps. Ups has once again failed to provide us with a safe work enviroment, however they have the time to travel around and make sure drivers are delivering using the methods during peak season. Lets make sure that drivers are delivering residential stops by walking to the back of the vehicle on ice or blocking traffic to walk on dry pavement to cross the street behind the vehicle. I often wonder who makes up these rules? Obviously its some one that has never done this job or has no idea about safety, but its ok to allow drivers on ups property to back into gas pumps. I ask you which is more serious? Crossing in front of your truck or backing into a gas pump. Im at my wits end on this issue and now im forced to take it to the next level, can anyone direct me to an osha number so i can report this, 411 has given me some bs number, thanks for all your help. Ups you have no one to blame but yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O

Osha will fix it

Well i figured if i made a post on here concerning safety it would be addressed and resolved. I would like to say that it was adressed the very next day, but tonight again the feeder department blocked the forward progress of package cars forcing drivers AGAIN to back into these pumps. Ups has once again failed to provide us with a safe work enviroment, however they have the time to travel around and make sure drivers are delivering using the methods during peak season. Lets make sure that drivers are delivering residential stops by walking to the back of the vehicle on ice or blocking traffic to walk on dry pavement to cross the street behind the vehicle. I often wonder who makes up these rules? Obviously its some one that has never done this job or has no idea about safety, but its ok to allow drivers on ups property to back into gas pumps. I ask you which is more serious? Crossing in front of your truck or backing into a gas pump. Im at my wits end on this issue and now im forced to take it to the next level, can anyone direct me to an osha number so i can report this, 411 has given me some bs number, thanks for all your help. Ups you have no one to blame but yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.osha.gov/
On the bottom right is a state finder which will direct you to the closest osha office.

HazMatMan

To the contrary, the root cause was discussed and in some cases, that might have been the employee, in other cases could have been management and their lack of training properly.

And as reports are a way of life at UPS, the numbers tell the story of Safety training, regardless if the numbers go up or down, the focus is to always improve.

You see, I had the opportunity to see the district numbers everyday, whereas, our hourly safety comittees usually saw center or division numbers. And there were some operations that were improving and others that needed constant attention. That's where the joint safety committee comes into play. And only by working together can improvments be made.

There is something in the Master Agreement about joint Teamster/UPS safety committess if I'm not mistaken.

It's everybody's responsibility at UPS to be held accountable to safety training and environment.

Your right, Safety is a two way street, but when us Teamsters are pointing out safety concerns to UPS and they do nothing to fix the problem then what?? In some instances UPS may be the only one's that have the tools to fix the problem. Sometimes you bring a safety concern to the attention of UPS and they look at you like you have two heads.

LKLND3380

Your right, Safety is a two way street, but when us Teamsters are pointing out safety concerns to UPS and they do nothing to fix the problem then what?? In some instances UPS may be the only one's that have the tools to fix the problem. Sometimes you bring a safety concern to the attention of UPS and they look at you like you have two heads.

Document it... Report and document a second time... Then when an injury happens You will own half of UPS...

Leftinbuilding

Sorry to say, but this is true. Anecdotal to be sure, but I have a situation in my work area that I have brought to Plant Engineering's attention at least three times in the past six weeks. Each time I got promises to take care of it, but so far nothing. Makes it tough to give much credibility to safety talks. I understand budget restraints, but don't make promises you can't (or won't) keep.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Document it... Report and document a second time... Then when an injury happens You will own half of UPS...
Thats whats nice about the cafe, everything is archived. So when one of my coworkers pass over this safety issue i can give their family all of these posts from here to help in the costly wrongful death suit.

tieguy

Banned
When they know Ketar is in the area they will increase the start times by 15 minutes...

When they know what buildings are getting hit they will hold back on some feeders to reduce the volume for preload that day...

If you actually know this is going on in your area then please call the 1 800 numbe when it happens. If someone is intentionally missing service on trailers full of packages to do well on a keter audit then they need to lose their job.

over9five

Staff member
"When they know what buildings are getting hit they will hold back on some feeders to reduce the volume for preload that day..."

I think you are being sarcastic. That amount of (missed) packages is just too hard to hide.

siouxman

siouxman
We are in the middle of a Keter Audit right now. It was amazing how the Preload went down on time Friday morning. Why they are doing this during Peak amazes me. They should never announce ahead of time when they will audit, just show up and surprise everyone!!!:blink:
We do monthly questions on the keys to lifting and lowering the seeing habits and slips and falls. The sups just yesterday did 5 hrs of on area observations of drivers and helpers to make sure they were following the correct procedures.they require use to know them and in the morning am meetings they go around and ask you

BCFan

When they know Ketar is in the area they will increase the start times by 15 minutes...

When they know what buildings are getting hit they will hold back on some feeders to reduce the volume for preload that day...

If you actually know this is going on in your area then please call the 1 800 numbe when it happens. If someone is intentionally missing service on trailers full of packages to do well on a keter audit then they need to lose their job.
Tie, gotta say that 1-800 number is as useful as tits on boar hog!!!! It is not confidential Your name WILL BE REVEALED ...and Your center manager WILL RETAILATE against you ..... We have a center manager that is a part time drug dealer (and a full time THUG)... number was called and lo and behold the person that was trying to drop a dime on him was promptly HARASSED AND INTIMIDATED ... I really do wish there was a way to get top rate management people back in charge and not just fill a racial quota system... But that was back in the good ole days of UPS , not anymore. Any thoughts on this Big Boy? BC (not Blue Christmas)

tieguy

Banned
Tie, gotta say that 1-800 number is as useful as tits on boar hog!!!! It is not confidential Your name WILL BE REVEALED ...and Your center manager WILL RETAILATE against you ..... We have a center manager that is a part time drug dealer (and a full time THUG)... number was called and lo and behold the person that was trying to drop a dime on him was promptly HARASSED AND INTIMIDATED ... I really do wish there was a way to get top rate management people back in charge and not just fill a racial quota system... But that was back in the good ole days of UPS , not anymore. Any thoughts on this Big Boy? BC (not Blue Christmas)

center manager dealing drugs? thats a new twist. How do you know? Why not call the cops instead of the corporate hotline?

but now that the person was harrassed as you claim then have him call in another complaint that he is being retaliated against .

BCFan

I kinda make it my business to know things( it gives me a competitive edge when dealing with these new breeds of center manager.... Police would do the job if they could catch him red-handed with the goods but.....odds are slim of that ...but in reality it filters upward (center manager's has friends that are tipping him off ) I suppose they are customers of his..... Sorry Tie not all center manager's have your stellar company work ethic.... not anymore.... Those were indeed the good ole days..... Again sorry to burst your bubble on the purity of UPS second level management.... BC (not Buying Cocaine)

LKLND3380

"When they know what buildings are getting hit they will hold back on some feeders to reduce the volume for preload that day..."

I think you are being sarcastic. That amount of (missed) packages is just too hard to hide.

Seriously... Even heard supes at the end of the sort talk about Jacksonville "sent two addional trailers" they were supposed to hold..."

amclain

We always fail, because UPS does not practice what they preach. They wait until the day before the audit to "fix" any problems in the building, they wait until the day before the audit to get all the paper work up to date and to make sure everybody knows the procedures. You can't learn something in a day if it should have been taught to you all year long and more frequently..All they are worried about is getting those pkgs from the trailers to the slides to the belts to the trucks and to the customer in as little time as possible!!

Instead of you worring about dog-killer Michael Vick, you should be more concerning of the changes to package language in the new contract because when you are identified off-area you will be the first to be fired.

Will Michael Vick state give your job back all he was doing was whoring around with his mistrees.

amclain

Maybe more safety, definately no threats..
Instead of you worring about dog-killer Michael Vick, you should be more concerning of the changes to package language in the new contract because when you are identified off-area you will be the first to be fired.

Will Michael Vick state give your job back all he was doing was whoring around with his mistrees.

Jersey Strong

Jersey Package Handler
I have an audit today at my hub should I be worried about answering any questions if i'm randomly pulled aside will it cause me to be fired if I answer wrong?

Kinda nervous.!.