Father's Day...was it a good day?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My older brother is going through a pretty horrendous divorce right now and it was a safe bet that he wasn't going to see his kids today so last night my little brother and I took him out to Texas De Brazil for fine steak and vino, had a good time and hopefully cheered him up.
Today we took the old man out for Indian food, then hung out for a while drinking coffee and talking. Pretty chill day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I did not work on UPS stuff. +5

My god daughter was in town - dropped in coming back from Columbia to NYC. +10

My daughter is in Connecticut with my grandson. -10

A good day overall - I'm glad it is on Sunday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My ex sent me a text this morning wishing me a Happy Father's Day. I guess she also called our son-in-law to wish him one as well---it was kind of a not-so-subtle hint that she wants grandkids. My son called me around noon and we watched American Legion baseball and had Michigans. My daughter called me later and we laughed about her Mom's phone call. It was a nice quiet day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I should also add that, although not on Fathers day, my daughter took me to see "The Wall" by Roger Waters on Wednesday night. +25

moreluck

golden ticket member
2 rib eyes on the white kid's new Fathers Day grill........they were great! He watched The U.S. Open and I watched Edward Scissorhands.

rod

Retired 22 years
Started the day with a big greasy breakfast-eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns. We very seldom do this. Most of the time its just toast and Cheerios. Did a little yard work. My Daughter called and we talked to her and the Grandkids for about an hour. Went shopping for some camping stuff and groceries. (bought ice cream this time- something we seldom do). Grilled some steaks for supper. Ate like pigs. Took a little nap for an hour or so. Wish we could eat like this every day but would soon weigh 300 lbs. Back to reality and the gym tomorrow.

brown bomber

brown bomber
my older daughter went to church w/ me in the AM.....then took me to breakfast afterwards...I had a coupon to that restaurant...saved her $5.00

younger daughter worked 10 hrs (glad she has a job)...she wished me a Happy Fathers Day...that's all that I need

bbsam

Staff member
Wonderful day. Started at about 5:30am getting kids up to leave for soccer at 6:30. 45 minute drive to get to tournament by 7:15, first game at 8am. Great game! Ended in 7 to 7 tie after we had been up 3 to 0 in first five minutes. Small problem in that the ref had the match scored 7 to 6 in our favor. Some parents were fine with that pointing out that the ref's score is final. I disagree. Those kids on the other team played hard and were every bit as successful as our team was and just simple fairness says we should insist the ref be over-ruled (if that's even possible). Besides, what does that teach our kids if we don't stand up for what we know and the other team know is right? Overall, though, great game with awesome kids.
Second game had us blowing out the opposition. It can be hard to watch, but we understand very well. Our kids were the ones on the receiving end of that treatment a couple years ago. They've put in alot of hard work and it shows. So, with the Saturday game we officially ended 3 for 3 with two blow outs. Every one of our boys scored and played good, clean soccer. (One of the dads got a new high-speed camera on Saturday and got some great action shots of my son soon to be e-mailed. My son LOVES that kind of stuff.)

After our games, we stayed to cheer on our 8 year old team. Now THAT is a soccer team. Unbeaten, unstoppable, unrelenting, and unapologetic. Seriously. Up and down that roster are kids that simply LOVE to play, day in and day out. Watching them on the field, you would swear that they had been playing together for 5 years already. They don't talk alot, they just know where their team mates are going to be and trust them to be there. Fun to watch.

After 9 hours baking in the sun, three sweaty kids, one bloody nose (my six year old kept his eye on a baseball a little too long) we stopped at some friends house on the way home for a cook-out. 9:30 home, bed, sleep. Yep. Wonderful day.

1) Showed daughter how to change brake pads on her car.
2) Middle son and I built a new model rocket for his collection.
3) Took the wife out for lunch to make her first fathers day without her father as easy as possible.
4)Came home and launched enough rockets to make any birds second guess living within a 1/4 mile of our house.
5) Had to go to work.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
1) Showed daughter how to change brake pads on her car.
2) Middle son and I built a new model rocket for his collection.
3) Took the wife out for lunch to make her first fathers day without her father as easy as possible.
4)Came home and launched enough rockets to make any birds second guess living within a 1/4 mile of our house.
5) Had to go to work.

All good but No. 3 broke my heart.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I spent the day on the beach with my little buddy running from the surf and digging in the sand Beach Dude.jpg Then cooked some steaks on the grill. The 2 boys checked in to say Happy Fathers Day via cell or text (they remembered which was a plus) Also stopped by Pop's grave at the VA cemetary on Saturday to say a Hail Mary.It is a good thing I had sunglasses on.
Beach Dude.jpg

Last edited:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Everyone, thank you for sharing your day.

I am missing my Daddy and my Unc (Godfather).

Hoax, thank you mentioning your Goddaughter.

Everyone, you touched me deeply by sharing your day.
The deepness is your words.
You all love your family - very deeply.
I felt it.

Blessings, AJ

bbsam

Staff member
Honestly Aj, thanks for asking. I've told that story 20 times today each time laughing warmly remembering a simple, happy, love filled day that I hope I never forget.

moreluck

golden ticket member
He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You're tearing up the grass." "We're not raising grass," Dad would reply. "We're raising boys." ~Harmon Killebrew

One father is more than a hundred Schoolemasters. ~George Herbert, Outlandish Proverbs, 1640

Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is soap-on-a-rope. ~Bill Cosby

Father! - to God himself we cannot give a holier name. ~William Wordsworth