FED EX paysup! Is UPS next?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Justice Department says FedEx Corp. will pay $8 million to settle allegations that company couriers falsely blamed increased security following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks for delivery delays on packages to the government.

The department says the couriers' misuse of "delivery exception codes" blocked the government from seeking its money back on late-delivered packages. The Justice Department says the couriers used the codes even after tighter security was scaled back or became routine procedure for entering government buildings. A FedEx employee exposed what the couriers were doing in a lawsuit filed five years ago.

A FedEx spokesman, Maury Lane, denies there were security code delays and adds that the government never identified any. He says the company settled to avoid a costly, protracted legal battle.

Will UPS have to pay up for falsely using EC code?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I doubt it. If someone wanted to, the historical data for weather is accessible to anyone. That would quite the bargaining chip for some ambitious Business Agent.

The company doesn't have any records to prove any other reasons. How many times have they claimed bad weather when there isn't a cloud in the sky for three countries away.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I doubt it. If someone wanted to, the historical data for weather is accessible to anyone. That would quite the bargaining chip for some ambitious Business Agent.

The company doesn't have any records to prove any other reasons. How many times have they claimed bad weather when there isn't a cloud in the sky for three countries away.

We are in the midst of historic flooding here in the North Country as well as other parts of the country. We have packages that are going on their 4th day of being EC'd. Today is going to be sunny and in the 60's and, yes, we will have more EC's. The problem is not only water on the roads but water undermining the roads.

I have no problem with the proper use of EC. I do have a problem with EC being used as a dispatch tool. This is similar to rural remote--a good concept which became a dispatch tool and was quickly discarded.

The FedEx lawsuit was about couriers being directed to falsify exception codes if the deliveries were going to be late.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I wasn't referring to the lawsuit per se. I was referring to your post about EC. How many times has EC been use in the heat of summer when there is no flooding, locusts, hailstorms, pigs flying ect. Historical weather data contains all the details including flooding. It would, also, contain the data for when the tarmac is too hot in Vegas for the plane to fly. It would be interesting to see what one could do with it.

P.S. My thoughts are with all those affected by the recent flooding and horrendous weather that has passed through so many areas.

dcdriver

nations capital
We use security delay everyday.

Have to drive across town get the entire truck xrayed, than deliver that building, then back to xray to deliver the next building. Every time we go to the xray we get a seal for front and rear door of package car.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Have to drive across town get the entire truck xrayed, than deliver that building, then back to xray to deliver the next building. Every time we go to the xray we get a seal for front and rear door of package car.

We had a similar system at our local army base, not anywhere near as annoying, just one pass through the x-ray. ( I would stand out front of the building, no clue what that machine can see:surprised:)
It was taken away because it was misused. Now, everything has to be on-time. Valentines and Mother's Day are hell.