FedEx contractor revolt?

MAKAVELI

Right and Freight can unionize locally, that's why they pay so much better than Express. Express employees have this impossible mountain to climb to get everyone on board nationally to vote to unionize. If they got rid of that RLA protection, then Express could join unions locally, just like Freight can. Also, FexEx cannot refuse to bargain with a union once they are allowed in. That violates federal law to bargain in good faith. They decertified because Freight gave their workers almost everything a union could offer, so there was no need to stay in their union. That's what would happen at Expess if the RLA protection went away. So anyway, FedEx is gong to send Express volume to Ground (merging the 2 companies), but will use contractors at Ground so they can't unionize. FedEx has thought this all out.
FedEx did refuse to bargain. The Teamsters and Freight employees eventually just gave up. As far as paying more than Express. Progression is the main difference and not because of the threat of a union. Freight had a three year progression before any organizing by the Teamsters. They have that progression because it's harder to attract Class A drivers without it. That's exactly why they changed RTD progression from 10 steps to 5 steps. Had nothing to do with the threat of a union just turnover.

fedx

Extra Large Package
FedEx did refuse to bargain. The Teamsters and Freight employees eventually just gave up. As far as paying more than Express. Progression is the main difference and not because of the threat of a union. Freight had a three year progression before any organizing by the Teamsters. They have that progression because it's harder to attract Class A drivers without it. That's exactly why they changed RTD progression from 10 steps to 5 steps. Had nothing to do with the threat of a union just turnover.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You think Express could care less if the company would unionize and I beg to differ. And companies do have to bargain in good faith with a union. It's part of the NLRA. Express has a 10 step (15-20 yr) progression because they don't have to worry about a union forming. And the RTDs at Express for sure would only have a 3 year progression if it only has to do with turnover. Express' RTD turnover is off the charts and 5 steps still isn't 3 years like Freight. Why aren't RTDs in a 3 year progression since it's harder to attract class A drivers? Answer: because they can't unionize. I know current RTDs who have been around 15 years at Express and still aren't topped out. You'd never see that at Freight because they can unionize. It's really that simple.

MAKAVELI

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You think Express could care less if the company would unionize and I beg to differ. And companies do have to bargain in good faith with a union. It's part of the NLRA. Express has a 10 step (15-20 yr) progression because they don't have to worry about a union forming. And the RTDs at Express for sure would only have a 3 year progression if it only has to do with turnover. Express' RTD turnover is off the charts and 5 steps still isn't 3 years like Freight. Why aren't RTDs in a 3 year progression since it's harder to attract class A drivers? Answer: because they can't unionize. I know current RTDs who have been around 15 years at Express and still aren't topped out. You'd never see that at Freight because they can unionize. It's really that simple.
Because Express has an endless supply of couriers willing to transfer into RTD. Freight doesn't have that pipeline of drivers. It's not that FedEx doesn't care if we unionize, they just know that would be a long uphill battle for employees. With the old timers retiring along with a constant flow of new hires they aren't too concerned in the short term.

zeev

Because Express has an endless supply of couriers willing to transfer into RTD. Freight doesn't have that pipeline of drivers. It's not that FedEx doesn't care if we unionize, they just know that would be a long uphill battle for employees. With the old timers retiring along with a constant flow of new hires they aren't too concerned in the short term.
Not an endless supply of couriers we have been hiring off the street for years. I think they are afraid of the stick and the big truck.

yadig

They can’t pass the state test

fedx

Extra Large Package
Not an endless supply of couriers we have been hiring off the street for years. I think they are afraid of the stick and the big truck.

Yeah we've been hiring RTDs off the street for years as well. Most couriers/handlers don't want to become an RTD. That whole argument that Freight tops out in 3 years (was recently hired at top pay) because they can't find drivers just doesn't hold water. Express doesn't have an aggressive top out plan because there is no threat of any unionization.

Mutineer

Are you talking about UPS hiring couriers "off the street" in yer area?

What region of the U.S. does this magical thing happen?

And what's the catch? Do prospective applicants have to run a training gauntlet of paranoid husbands and wild dogs?