Feeder Crash 11/1/2017

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
MILWAUKEE —

One driver was killed and another injured in a fiery early Wednesday morning crash on the High Rise Bridge.

At about 3:45 a.m., officials said a wrong-way driver collided with a UPS tractor-trailer on northbound Interstate 43, just south of the Marquette Interchange, near National Avenue. Both vehicles erupted into flames.

Advertisement
>> Traffic conditions always available at WISN.com/traffic

An off-duty Milwaukee police officer attempted to remove the driver of the car, who was unconscious, but was pushed back by the heat and flames, a statement from the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office said.

The driver of the UPS truck was able to get out of the cab as it became engulfed in flames. According to the MCSO statement, the UPS driver said he was northbound when he saw a vehicle without headlights coming directly at him. A car in the lane next to him prevented him from getting out of the way.

The UPS driver was hospitalized with pain to his ankles and knees, the MCSO statement said.

The wrong-way driver did not survive the crash and fire. The view from News Chopper 12 showed a body being removed from the wreckage. A Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office official later confirmed that one person had died.

It wasn't known as of 10 a.m. where the wrong-way driver entered the interstate.

Northbound traffic was diverted off at National Avenue and the roadway was closed. Several southbound lanes were also closed. The roadway was reopened to traffic shortly before midday.

Acting Milwaukee County Sheriff Richard Schmidt said there have been 81 confirmed wrong-way drivers on the county highway system in the first 10 months of 2017.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Sounds more like a highway design flaw somewhere.
You can only do so much designing a highway. One side goes one direction and the other goes the opposite. I encountered a confused elderly woman driving towards traffic (at me) at an off ramp. I was turning to get off the interstate and the elderly lady was driving right at me on the same off ramp. Luckily she stopped and pulled over before anyone got hurt or killed and I called the police to get her help. So this accident could be suicide, an elderly person, or a drunk driver, or some medical issue. We'll probably never know.