Feeder Work Question

tieguy

Banned
They do when ups sets the pricing! Rumor has it that we fell way short of our united way goal and ups plans on making up the difference through vending!

We thought it was the vending company that came in high on prices, but when we were told that ups sets the pricing i was given the green light to file!

Got to keep the agent on their toes and keep challenging them! Im sure i'll get fired for this but, what the hell!~

I'd be seriously surprised if ups had anything to do with the pricing.
Someone set you up with some bad information. Did you try calling the owner of the vending service to see what they say?

over9five

Staff member
Strange. Our building also just changed vendors. All new machines with higher prices.

Used to be able to get a bottle of water for 65 cents (where the heck is the cents icon on a keyboard??) Now water is $1.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I called the old vendor the new vendor and even talked to the vending guy on property this week. Tie the prices have gone up a lot on a lot of items. I had discussed this with the bm the day the vending machines were being brought in, that the prices should stay reasonable.

Ptimers for years have been able to take their 10 minute paid break and spend within reason their hard earned money on the vending services. Ups gives us a split raise but jumps the pricing up as much as 100% on certain items? Should have raised everything a nickle or dime now and again in feburary!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Gatorade went from a buck to $2 per bottle, over its insane..... I suggest that everyone files a grievance across the country.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
On a side not, i have been making a stink about our vending machines. We just had the older vender replaced with a new vendeor who raised the prices. Chips used to be 45 cents now a buck, cofffee is now 75 cent from 35, snickers 60 now 80.

They went up on our prices in the vending machines whenever the gas prices went up.

We are next to a Wal-Mart and snacks and drinks are bought there. I have not bought anything out of the machines since early October.

Can't file a grievance but I can go on strike!

705red

Browncafe Steward
They went up on our prices in the vending machines whenever the gas prices went up.

We are next to a Wal-Mart and snacks and drinks are bought there. I have not bought anything out of the machines since early October.

Can't file a grievance but I can go on strike!
Hoax i have seen your picture! Doesnt look like you have turned down many snacks! :dead::dead::dead:

Its ok im a big guy to! 6ft 240!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry to hear that av8! Sounds like your union is spooning with big brown.

On a side not, i have been making a stink about our vending machines. We just had the older vender replaced with a new vendeor who raised the prices. Chips used to be 45 cents now a buck, cofffee is now 75 cent from 35, snickers 60 now 80. I have now been told to file a grievance by the union for raising the prices. My little 705 will fight any fight while other locals would rather get along to get along!

Red is not out of line. We have a similar grievance in our center although this one is about the toilet paper. Our center manager is trying to cut costs so he switched from Charmin to the generic store brand. Well, I think we can all agree that Charmin does a much better job, completing its work more efficiently and with more comfort, than the store brand, so we all signed a petition and our steward has attached that to the grievance, which will be heard at panel the first of the year.

Of course I am not serious. Grievances like this are a waste of tiime and reduce the credibility of the union in the eyes of our employer. Focus on the important issues and forget the trivial crap. (pun intended)

gandydancer

Its not our work until the customer tenders the work to UPS small package to move and process. Customers have been zone skipping for years where they hire a contractor to move a load to ups buildings to get the cheaper rates of the building they are moving the load to. From what I heard it was actually X-upsers that came up with the idea and started the service to skip zones. I sat in a high level meeting with a very large customer where one of their VP's raised the issue of building direct loads to buildings to not only save cost but to also improve time in transit. When that happens we are not going to say no to them and lose the business to fdx we will help them do it to keep the business. If they will let small package move it from their doorstep then we'll be more then happy to do so since it helps our profits. But if they want to pursue a cheaper option then we will still do so to keep their business.

Its not an easy issue from the unions perspective but keeping the business means ups teamsters somewhere are handling and moving the packages. If we lose the business outright then we all lose.

As far as I can see accepting your argument means that UPS Logistics can switch every CPU account in the nation to UPS Freight tractors and the feeder drivers doing that work now have no beef. Yes or no?

tieguy

Banned
I called the old vendor the new vendor and even talked to the vending guy on property this week. Tie the prices have gone up a lot on a lot of items. I had discussed this with the bm the day the vending machines were being brought in, that the prices should stay reasonable.

Ptimers for years have been able to take their 10 minute paid break and spend within reason their hard earned money on the vending services. Ups gives us a split raise but jumps the pricing up as much as 100% on certain items? Should have raised everything a nickle or dime now and again in feburary!

Red does not make any sense. Does UPS own the machines? Does ups lease the machines ?

tieguy

Banned
As far as I can see accepting your argument means that UPS Logistics can switch every CPU account in the nation to UPS Freight tractors and the feeder drivers doing that work now have no beef. Yes or no?

UPS logistics does not go around switching accounts they provide customers with logistics help. I have some of the biggest shippers in the country in my area of responsibility. In the last five years I have only had ups logistics help asked for in maybe three or four accounts. Three asking for internal help with their internal systems so they could process packages more efficently. The fourth asking us to validate their internal processes and asking about zone skip. This customer will not be skipping zones because while he is a big worldwide shipper he does not ship enough out of any one DC to make zone skip cost effective.

Many shippers are very good at whatever product they ship. They however do not fully understand the logistics processes very well. We provide that guidance on how they can process their products more efficently. Logistics does not tell the customer how they will ship their packages. Thats the part you guys are having a hard time understanding.
The customer tells us how they will ship the packages.

At the Cach vending has been handled by American Vending for at least five or so years. Prices have risen over the last couple of years but not drastically out of line although it is higher than I have seen the items for in stores,roughly 20%. I would encourage everyone to bring in their own snacks and drinks and let the stuff in the machines rot. Instead of giving them extra,give them nothing.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Grievances like this are a waste of tiime and reduce the credibility of the union in the eyes of our employer. Focus on the important issues and forget the trivial crap. (pun intended)

Actually what reduces the unions credibility are people like you who only complain about the union and don't care unless it effects you directly.

When the company raises prices by as much as 100% in the vending machines that they supply for their employees, it is a legitimate grievance.

We all understand inflation, so raise it a little not a buck for a Gatorade,, not 55 cents on a 45 cents bag of pretzels and also the prices should all be the same from building to building! They are not, they differ in every building, so this grievance will get filed, probably deadlocked and than we will arbitrate because i have over 300 people in the building that have signed this union file grievance form petition. this happens when the members unite, instead of the me me me approach it seems like you like to use!

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red does not make any sense. Does UPS own the machines? Does ups lease the machines ?
Ups hired the new vending services to replace the old vendor,, this is all i know as of right now. The information request fro the contract between the old vendor and new vendor will be handed over monday with the grievance.

Besides of course what the vending employee has told us, and the 800 number that we called, which both stated that the company sets the prices.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually what reduces the unions credibility are people like you who only complain about the union and don't care unless it effects you directly.

I have never hidden the fact that I am not a strong advocate of our union; however, I have never complained about the union.

I have a simple solution for your problem: If the prices for items in the vending machine are too high, simply bring your own from home.

Don't waste the time and efforts of both the union and company by pursuing this grievance.

BTW, wasn't the topic of this thread using UPS Freight employees to transport UPS packages?

Last edited by a moderator:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have never hidden the fact that I am not a strong advocate of our union; however, I have never complained about the union.

What could you possibly complain about? Your going to make $32 an hour, you get ot after 8, your 6th day of work is ot, you have the best medical plan, paid vacations, optional days,pension, etc..... Really now why would one not be interested in being a union advocate? But I'm sure your find something to complain about, so lets here it.

I have a simple solution for your problem: If the prices for items in the vending machine are too high, simply bring your own from home.

Now you must have stayed at a holiday inn last night! Now your playing a union steward and you know whats best for the members! Just out of curiosity were should the ptimers store their snacks? They do not have lockers like us!

Don't waste the time and efforts of both the union and company by pursuing this grievance.

See now the union gets paid to look out for the best interests of the members, so this is not a waste of time when you have a big group of members upset, this is called a grievance. The company can just go ahead and lower the prices and i will be glad to withdraw the grievance with rights.

BTW, wasn't the topic of this thread using UPS Freight employees to transport UPS packages?
Now captain post alot wants to call someone out for derailing a thread! Exactly how many threads have you hijacked with your record setting posts over the last year?

tieguy

Banned
At the Cach vending has been handled by American Vending for at least five or so years. Prices have risen over the last couple of years but not drastically out of line although it is higher than I have seen the items for in stores,roughly 20%. I would encourage everyone to bring in their own snacks and drinks and let the stuff in the machines rot. Instead of giving them extra,give them nothing.

The prices red quoted were in line with our vending services. The vending services does have to pay for those machines they just brought in.

seems to me like you should boycott the machines rather then waste the members money chasing this wild goose.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Tie the employees have been boycotting, but some have also been damaging them by filling them with slugs. I do not condone the damaging of the machines, so lets just see how it plays out.