Fight the War against Misloads in 2012

UPSSOCKS

Brownbaggin is hopeless, career part timer. I'm sure he's proud.

Sober,

I agree with the warning letters (being an illusion) but atleast the warning letter gets the discipline ball rolling. You have to make employees (some) face termination to make them understand the seriousness of misloads.

curiousbrain

Brownbaggin is hopeless, career part timer. I'm sure he's proud.

Sober,

I agree with the warning letters (being an illusion) but atleast the warning letter gets the discipline ball rolling. You have to make employees (some) face termination to make them understand the seriousness of misloads.

If it means sheltering the employees under me from weak, pathetic tactics of the type that you suggest, then you are gosh darn right I'm proud. You wouldn't know what it means to be a real, hard-working employee in operations, and until you do, this conversation is over.

In case you are unable to grasp, this is a polite way of me telling you to go **** yourself.

grizbiker

How do you suggest dealing with a partner in a similar situation? We had a preload sup with a college degree and no work experience. His training methods were to shot gun load the truck and would put out 15-20 mis loads a shift. When the preload was short handed and he would step in to fill a void, this is what drivers would get to deal with. The last time he loaded my truck, I found five of the six misloads as I searched for my first stop before I left the center. EDD was in service too.

UPSSOCKS

How do you suggest dealing with a partner in a similar situation? We had a preload sup with a college degree and no work experience. His training methods were to shot gun load the truck and would put out 15-20 mis loads a shift. When the preload was short handed and he would step in to fill a void, this is what drivers would get to deal with. The last time he loaded my truck, I found five of the six misloads as I searched for my first stop before I left the center. EDD was in service too.

Document and talk to center manager. If a supervisor is going to perform union work he should be instructing someone the correct way to do the job. I would push for his termination the same way I would push for a teamster's.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our dispatch/FT preload sup is famous for misloads. He had 45 documented misloads in one shift. We were shorthanded so he an area. Every time he covers an area, the center manager has to go through his trucks pitching packages out. Love the double standard.

I would love to see Socks deal with him according to his post above, as I don't believe him.

hypocrisy

Banned
Too all management out there. Misloads are a big part of our life. We talk about them everyday, we hear about the everyday, yet we still continue to have misloads. If a union employee was loading a trailer/car that had one of their personal packages going in to, do you think they would misload it? Absolutely not so why misload at all? Actually is there really any reason besides a data issue that a package should be misloaded? Misloads are very easy to fix. I encourage everyone of you to discipline to fight the war against misloads. Do not accept misloads at any frequency! For every misload received document and sit down with a shop steward to talk about. If the workers want to keep their jobs misloads will go away! This will be tough at first but you will notice results within weeks.

Post some stories about what we can do to fight misloads. Give each other ideas. Maybe we are doing something in MESTX that we can start doing in WORMA. Once I was in GVICA and I met a guy that would audit his employees loads before the shift even started. The employees started everyday pulling out audits and they ending up going over 200k without a misload!!!!

If anything going after a goal makes your jobs more fun and the day go by quicker. It can even make the jobs fun for the employees. Eventually you won't have to discipline anymore.

Fight Misloads!!

I like your goal, but not the approach. "Training by Discipline" is something tried and failed time and time again. Here is what we did in my building (the initial idea was not mine but some of the refinements were):

First, we recognized that you cannot hold someone accountable for misloads when they are not the only one loading in the car. So it was determined to keep Preloaders in 'their' cars and get the supervisors out. A supervisor loading in a car cannot be supervising the Preloaders to see and react to what is causing delays in the system. Owning a Preloader to a series of cars also created a relationship between the Preloader and his/her Drivers. If "Suzy" is loading your car every day, she gets to know your stops and needs (On Thursdays Billy Bob's Shotgun Emporium and Yoga Studio has a bulk stop that needs to be loaded RDC regardless of PAl)

Then we created a form for the Drivers to provide feedback to the loader. This simple form allowed the Driver to attach the PAL label to the form and note any irregularities (double PAL, non-matching PAL, location loaded etc). The Drivers would turn in this form nightly and then review it in the a.m. with the preload Supervisor and Preloader.

If misloads continued to be a problem, the Preloader, Steward, and Supervisor would meet to address the issue. A form was discussed that addressed the methods for avoiding misloads and asked questions that were filled out by the employee. The tone of these meetings was not confrontational, but rather intended to reinforce the methods and find out if there were any underlying issues requiring attention. Sometimes there were personal issues or perhaps the employee needed retraining. The employee would initial the form and it would be kept on file. After the meeting the Steward would have a conversation with the employee to give them a heads up as to which road they were choosing. Oftentimes this was all that was necessary, sometimes it revealed other issues that needed to be addressed to solve the problem.

Continued problems would result in another methods meeting before heading down the discipline road. Oftentimes a 'change of scenery' would have more favorable results, such as moving the Preloader to a different belt away from distractions or perhaps a different type of flow. Problem cases were usually offered to return to unload as perhaps preloading was not the job for them. Management recognized that a lot of time and money went into training these employees and firing them was counter-productive (we already had enough leaving due to the atrocious turnover rate).

Recognition was also used by offering inexpensive rewards for reducing misloads such as food on Fridays or handing out T-shirts, gloves or other rewards as well as recognizing the preloaders with the least amount of misloads. Some areas developed competitions, naming their belts after sports teams and posting a scoreboard.

After implementing this in the building I was in, discipline for misloads reduced to zero.

When you say misloads do you mean packages that don't belong on your truck or packages that are not in the right spot or on the right shelf? If they don't belong to your area take "em home, sell 'em on ebay and put the money away for retirement.:happy2:

jace1319

whats so hard about READ-SCAN-LOAD? keyword "read" making sure the package is being placed where it belongs. Unfortunately a handful of these union employees can give a #$%#$^ about a misload therefore discipline is definitely the answer. 1 misload is too many. Documentation is the key..

scarltingtrisk

My facility is essentially a Catch 22. And honestly, UPSSOCKS, it's a bit insulting for you, a person who has never done a preloaders job, to say what is and what is not their fault. Until you've gotten your own butt kicked by the wave of packages coming down the belt, I don't think any self-respecting preloader wants to hear you talk about "data issues" and seriously thinking "discipline is the solution."

I'll start by saying I have only worked at this facility, no others, but I imagine the way things are run at mine are much worse than where you work. I bet it's a lot easier where you work. Where I work about half of us are loading 4 package cars and the other half 3 package cars. There are 4 feeders every morning and the piece count can vary anywhere from 4800-5800. The number of routes planned is usually 21 or 22, but sometimes 20 or 23-4. My facility is short on trucks, many of us try to "cram 10 pounds of things into a 5 pound bag." Almost every single day when I leave there I feel like I have just completed a rather daunting task. Honestly, if I couldn't run a smoother operation myself I probably wouldn't bother.

To elaborate on what I mean by Catch 22, I want to say that I do take pride in working hard and doing a good job. This place, however, really makes me stop caring in a hurry because it is just IMPOSSIBLE to keep up and create the absolute best load for the driver. (I'll come back to the drivers.) Anyway, so we have the methods, right? The methods are next to worthless. No one considers them, ever. Except for when management is yelling at us to complete our workbooks which are a complete joke because, as I just said, no one considers the methods. Comparing the PAL stickers to the physical address is easy, but when the scanners are being overwhelmed and accidently place a PAL on the wrong package chances are I'm about to get overwhelmed as well and, let's be honest, loaders simply do not compare every single sticker to the label. There isn't enough time. I would assume this is when you say, "So stack behind the right car and compare it when you have time." well then we are ignoring the "methods" evolving egress. We are supposed to keep a clear walkway at all times and not stack packages, but that isn't the reality of what goes on in my facility. Every day you are GUARANTEED to stack at some point during your shift.

So what is it you want me to do? Do you want me to keep a clear walkway so I don't trip and fall or twist an ankle or tear an ACL/MCL? Or do you want me to keep my walkways clear and be safe, but there will be a greater chance you have to deal with misloads during the day? On top of running up and down the belt, loading 4 trucks, cramming 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound container, and one thing I forgot to mention is when people on the belt who are at the start of the flow miss their packages, us guys at the end of flow have to bring them back up, which if we don't causes a mess, egress, misloads, everything, and on top of this we have to deal with the intolerance of the drivers when they show up. At that time of day, I don't care anymore. I'm sorry, but I've just worked my tail off for 3 hours and did my absolute best to make everything perfect for them. I refuse to take any crap from those guys, and if they really have a problem with it they can go tell on me and we'll see what that does for them. Management can come and tell me I'll be suspended for misloads all they want, frankly I wouldn't mind a day off, but the fact of the matter is that misloads will happen as long as management/supes run things like that. It is literally as if they think some of us are Superman. Well if I was Superman I certainly wouldn't need this job.

There are probably some things I've forgotten to add but I feel I am beginning to write a bit of an essay, so I will conclude this now. Maybe it's nice and cushy in your facility but in other facilities it is not. Loading small trucks with too many packages, dealing with re-runs, dealing with intolerant drivers (who by the way have absolutely NO REASON TO BE INTOLERANT toward a preloader. Most of them have done my job but some haven't. The ones who have know better than to complain about the load to us.), after all that you have the nerve to write a post here saying to "fight the war on misloads"? You have better things to do as a manager, like figure out to run the place. Saying it is solely the preloaders fault is naive and irresponsible. Just because you actually have to do some work during the day, figure out how to get a misload from here to there, doesn't give you the right to be mad at the preloaders. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT LOADING 4 PACKAGE CARS IS LIKE. So go sit in your office, play with data errors and solitaire and post on blogs about things you don't have a clue about. Misloads are most definitely NOT solely the preloaders fault, ever. They wouldn't occur if managers would manage and supervisors would supervise. Like when we're getting our butts handed to us, get down there and help us or suffer the inevitable consequences. Or just deal with it like the rest of us.

scarltingtrisk

If there is a lot of flow and the loader has resorted to stacking behind trucks chances are they have been running up and down the belt trying to load all their trucks and it's real simple: not every package label is going to be compared to the PAL sticker. There is not enough time to do that. If I want to avoid egress I can't stack much of anything, but if I want to avoid misloads I have to. Isn't this a problem? Where do you work in UPS? I enjoy the satisfaction I get from knowing I did a good job at work, but UPS makes it hard to do this. You can discipline me, tell me I'm suspended for a day. I could use the day off since I probably work twice as hard as you every day of the week and I do it in half the hours. If scanners could get the PAL stickers on the right package and I could just look at the PAL then it'd be much easier, but they can't. And even if they did people would probably still misload. I don't really have a problem with misloads, I get them sometimes, but not nearly as bad as the other people who work at my facility.

Buck Fifty

Too all management out there. Misloads are a big part of our life. We talk about them everyday, we hear about the everyday, yet we still continue to have misloads. If a union employee was loading a trailer/car that had one of their personal packages going in to, do you think they would misload it? Absolutely not so why misload at all? Actually is there really any reason besides a data issue that a package should be misloaded? Misloads are very easy to fix. I encourage everyone of you to discipline to fight the war against misloads. Do not accept misloads at any frequency! For every misload received document and sit down with a shop steward to talk about. If the workers want to keep their jobs misloads will go away! This will be tough at first but you will notice results within weeks.

Post some stories about what we can do to fight misloads. Give each other ideas. Maybe we are doing something in MESTX that we can start doing in WORMA. Once I was in GVICA and I met a guy that would audit his employees loads before the shift even started. The employees started everyday pulling out audits and they ending up going over 200k without a misload!!!!

If anything going after a goal makes your jobs more fun and the day go by quicker. It can even make the jobs fun for the employees. Eventually you won't have to discipline anymore.

Fight Misloads!!

Only discipline needed here, is you need to be tied to the whooping post and kicked in the ass until you holler out, I ROBOT. That's what you need, a bunch of robots to do the work. Course I'm not sure everyone could get their foot above your shoulders to do that, but it would be fun trying. Its called human error, deal with it. 50 routes here and average 10 to 15 a day. If we creep into the single digits, than its a good day. More time is the only way to eliminate the misloads. But it would seem, that wont happen, because you are only a puppet. go wiggle your strings elsewhere.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I still chuckle when I think back to 2006 ,and we were preparing for PASS/EDD and the the I.E. people told us that misloads would be so rare that they would for all practical purposes be extinct because the PAS labels would not only have the information of not which package car the package should be loaded,but where in the package car it should be loaded

yeahboy.gif
yeahboy.gif

Buck Fifty

When you say misloads do you mean packages that don't belong on your truck or packages that are not in the right spot or on the right shelf? If they don't belong to your area take "em home, sell 'em on ebay and put the money away for retirement.:happy2:

If its on the wrong shelf, we call them misorts. Sometimes Just as bad on the over-allowed though. Both make me bookoo $$$. 1 misload = 45 minutes OT tonight.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
second: I've not had the opportunity to be a preloader but I have had the chance to work as preload management.
Third: Discipline is the solution!!!

Missed (unfortunately :> ) this thread, but found the above gem from the topic: discipline for the preloader, or YOU, SOCKS? Blind leading the blind, at best.

scarltingtrisk

My facility is essentially a Catch 22. And honestly, UPSSOCKS, it's a bit insulting for you, a person who has never done a preloaders job, to say what is and what is not their fault. Until you've gotten your own butt kicked by the wave of packages coming down the belt, I don't think any self-respecting preloader wants to hear you talk about "data issues" and seriously thinking "discipline is the solution."

I'll start by saying I have only worked at this facility, no others, but I imagine the way things are run at mine are much worse than where you work. I bet it's a lot easier where you work. Where I work about half of us are loading 4 package cars and the other half 3 package cars. There are 4 feeders every morning and the piece count can vary anywhere from 4800-5800. The number of routes planned is usually 21 or 22, but sometimes 20 or 23-4. My facility is short on trucks, many of us try to "cram 10 pounds of things into a 5 pound bag." Almost every single day when I leave there I feel like I have just completed a rather daunting task. Honestly, if I couldn't run a smoother operation myself I probably wouldn't bother.

To elaborate on what I mean by Catch 22, I want to say that I do take pride in working hard and doing a good job. This place, however, really makes me stop caring in a hurry because it is just IMPOSSIBLE to keep up and create the absolute best load for the driver. (I'll come back to the drivers.) Anyway, so we have the methods, right? The methods are next to worthless. No one considers them, ever. Except for when management is yelling at us to complete our workbooks which are a complete joke because, as I just said, no one considers the methods. Comparing the PAL stickers to the physical address is easy, but when the scanners are being overwhelmed and accidently place a PAL on the wrong package chances are I'm about to get overwhelmed as well and, let's be honest, loaders simply do not compare every single sticker to the label. There isn't enough time. I would assume this is when you say, "So stack behind the right car and compare it when you have time." well then we are ignoring the "methods" evolving egress. We are supposed to keep a clear walkway at all times and not stack packages, but that isn't the reality of what goes on in my facility. Every day you are GUARANTEED to stack at some point during your shift.

So what is it you want me to do? Do you want me to stack so I do not misload and your day as management will be easier? Or do you want me to keep my walkways clear and be safe from twisting an ankle or tearing my ACL/MCL, but there will be a greater chance you have to deal with misloads during the day? On top of running up and down the belt, loading 4 trucks, cramming 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound container, and one thing I forgot to mention is when people on the belt who are at the start of the flow miss their packages, us guys at the end of flow have to bring them back up, which if we don't causes a mess, egress, misloads, everything, and on top of this we have to deal with the intolerance of the drivers when they show up. At that time of day, I don't care anymore. I'm sorry, but I've just worked my tail off for 3 hours and did my absolute best to make everything perfect for them. I refuse to take any crap from those guys, and if they really have a problem with it they can go tell on me and we'll see what that does for them. Management can come and tell me I'll be suspended for misloads all they want, frankly I wouldn't mind a day off, but the fact of the matter is that misloads will happen as long as management/supes run things like that. It is literally as if they think some of us are Superman. Well if I was Superman I certainly wouldn't need this job.

There are probably some things I've forgotten to add but I feel I am beginning to write a bit of an essay, so I will conclude this now. Maybe it's nice and cushy in your facility but in other facilities it is not. Loading small trucks with too many packages, dealing with re-runs, dealing with intolerant drivers (who by the way have absolutely NO REASON TO BE INTOLERANT toward a preloader. Most of them have done my job but some haven't. The ones who have know better than to complain about the load to us.), after all that you have the nerve to write a post here saying to "fight the war on misloads"? You have better things to do as a manager, like figure out to run the place. Saying it is solely the preloaders fault is naive and irresponsible. Just because you actually have to do some work during the day, figure out how to get a misload from here to there, doesn't give you the right to be mad at the preloaders. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT LOADING 4 PACKAGE CARS IS LIKE. So go sit in your office, play with data errors and solitaire and post on blogs about things you don't have a clue about. Misloads are most definitely NOT solely the preloaders fault, ever. They wouldn't occur if managers would manage and supervisors would supervise. Like when we're getting our butts handed to us, get down there and help us or suffer the inevitable consequences. Or just deal with it like the rest of us.

Kis124

I do the job to the best of my ability as do most UPS employees. My post was not a slam against my preloader, who does an excellent job. I simply stated that most of the very few misloads that he has are indeed his fault. He loads three pkg cars and his misloads are usually between those three cars. The out of syncs that he loads he does follow the PAL but does not compare it to the physical address.

If the loader took the time to read and compare, he/she would get yelled at for taking to long. Can't win no matter what we do

curiousbrain

If there is a lot of flow and the loader has resorted to stacking behind trucks chances are they have been running up and down the belt trying to load all their trucks and it's real simple: not every package label is going to be compared to the PAL sticker. There is not enough time to do that. If I want to avoid egress I can't stack much of anything, but if I want to avoid misloads I have to. Isn't this a problem? Where do you work in UPS? I enjoy the satisfaction I get from knowing I did a good job at work, but UPS makes it hard to do this. You can discipline me, tell me I'm suspended for a day. I could use the day off since I probably work twice as hard as you every day of the week and I do it in half the hours. If scanners could get the PAL stickers on the right package and I could just look at the PAL then it'd be much easier, but they can't. And even if they did people would probably still misload. I don't really have a problem with misloads, I get them sometimes, but not nearly as bad as the other people who work at my facility.

Just a little preload unload insight ... they are so smashed in the unload, that they have even less time to compare labels than the preloaders do, if you can possibly imagine that. Trust me, the unload is a gosh darn nightmare, on par with belt/boxline. So, it sucks all around, is what I'm trying to say.