Filling in on satellite route?

wht1zzfe

Twenty plus routes moved to a new building recently. I've been getting asked to go fill in even though I stayed with the old center at the old building. I don't mind I like the route but I have been getting asked after 11am after I've gone home. That means an hour drive down there on top of getting ready, then loading the car. First stop at 1pm that is ridiculous. I went down yesterday in my own vehicle and did it and got asked to run stuff the other driver that has been filling in hasn't been delivering I guess he kind of :censored2: the bed. Dude last night told me he has been waiting two weeks for his package. Anyways, I'm getting tired of it and I really do not want to rack up boring highway miles on my vehicle I only have a bike. Anything they can do to force me if I say no since it's running out of a completely different building now?

Twenty plus routes moved to a new building recently. I've been getting asked to go fill in even though I stayed with the old center at the old building. I don't mind I like the route but I have been getting asked after 11am after I've gone home. That means an hour drive down there on top of getting ready, then loading the car. First stop at 1pm that is ridiculous. I went down yesterday in my own vehicle and did it and got asked to run stuff the other driver that has been filling in hasn't been delivering I guess he kind of * the bed. Dude last night told me he has been waiting two weeks for his package. Anyways, I'm getting tired of it and I really do not want to rack up boring highway miles on my vehicle I only have a bike. Anything they can do to force me if I say no since it's running out of a completely different building now?
Do you have other drivers in your building that have less seniority than you?

542thruNthru

Twenty plus routes moved to a new building recently. I've been getting asked to go fill in even though I stayed with the old center at the old building. I don't mind I like the route but I have been getting asked after 11am after I've gone home. That means an hour drive down there on top of getting ready, then loading the car. First stop at 1pm that is ridiculous. I went down yesterday in my own vehicle and did it and got asked to run stuff the other driver that has been filling in hasn't been delivering I guess he kind of * the bed. Dude last night told me he has been waiting two weeks for his package. Anyways, I'm getting tired of it and I really do not want to rack up boring highway miles on my vehicle I only have a bike. Anything they can do to force me if I say no since it's running out of a completely different building now?
What local and you?

542thruNthru

If I remember correctly you're in TX so you're the southern region. Which leads me to believe you're SOL because the southern sucks.

542thruNthru

Shouldn't he at least get paid for the time difference traveling to the other building and mileage?
That I believe will depend on his state and or his contract.

There may be a something in his contract that says when he has to be notified so that they can't just tell him as he is driving home.

What he needs to do is stop picking up the phone or answering txt messages.

Last edited:

clean hairy

In the contract is : "when an employee uses their vehicle in service of the employer, they shall be paid prevailing IRS mileage rate"
Also, "the employer shall provide insurance coverage for the vehicle as well"
Not sure if it is in the master or supplement....

bumped

In my local UPS can't force you to another building. They can force from the bottom up to another center within the same building if that applies to you.

AKCoverMan

In my local UPS can't force you to another building. They can force from the bottom up to another center within the same building if that applies to you.
Might be a difference between “another center” vs. a satellite.

I work in a satellite about 40 miles from the center we are considered a part of. We are all one seniority list under same management team.

The prevailing theory and past practice here is if you don’t have a bid route and are assigned at the satellite you are paid one hour travel time each way but not mileage.

We load our own cars here so we generally are getting first stop off car after 1100 or 1130 every day.

bumped

Might be a difference between “another center” vs. a satellite.

I work in a satellite about 40 miles from the center we are considered a part of. We are all one seniority list under same management team.

The prevailing theory and past practice here is if you don’t have a bid route and are assigned at the satellite you are paid one hour travel time each way but not mileage.

We load our own cars here so we generally are getting first stop off car after 1100 or 1130 every day.
My understanding is that the OP is saying that a new center opened up where the satellite route is now part of. The stayed at his old center. The OP shouldn't be forced to go to do the satellite if it is now part of the new center.

AKCoverMan

My understanding is that the OP is saying that a new center opened up where the satellite route is now part of. The stayed at his old center. The OP shouldn't be forced to go to do the satellite if it is now part of the new center.
Could be, the way it was worded I took to mean 20 routes in his center were moved to a satellite building.