First 4 days, so many questions...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
At orientation someone asked the building manager about doing that job and he broke down what it is to be a porter and the normal progression of people in the union.
images-28.jpg

PeytonBlue86

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey all, just started as part time loader. I guess I'm not even through orientation until tomorrow but had a few problems. Some issues:

1)PT training sup who wants me to stay union and work says "~1 year to go full time in union" and FT sup who wants me to become PT sup says "up to 20 years to go FT in union"...

2)Building manager promising "~60k in driving after a year of PT package handling"...

3)In general being told all sorts of lies about everything union/benefit related...

4)Was told that "People are selected for their positions randomly". The people who look like the hardest workers go to Loaders, and every female goes to sort (1 of 5 Females went to unload, the rest, sort)...

Hey whatever, I'm happy to be here and work. Not sure whats going on since so many people have told me so many things but hopefully things will get simpler when it's just me, a trailer with boxes and my coworkers getting it in. (Doubt it but we will see haha )
Hey!!

Female preloader here! I started back in July. If you want some sort of job security dont go to management. Theyll ask you, if you're doing well, about shift supervisor and whatnot, just dont do it. Think about if youd like to become a driver or possibly driver feeder. After a month a half they sent me to drivers school for peak. You'll get medic benefits, vacation days, sick days after one year of employment. It's a marathon and not a sprint, so think if driving could be in your future. Make small talk with drivers in your hub, ask questions, feel it out.

Kitsune

Hey!!

Female preloader here! I started back in July. If you want some sort of job security dont go to management. Theyll ask you, if you're doing well, about shift supervisor and whatnot, just dont do it. Think about if youd like to become a driver or possibly driver feeder. After a month a half they sent me to drivers school for peak. You'll get medic benefits, vacation days, sick days after one year of employment. It's a marathon and not a sprint, so think if driving could be in your future. Make small talk with drivers in your hub, ask questions, feel it out.
Awesome. Thanks for some actual input!

Indecisi0n

Hey all, just started as part time loader. I guess I'm not even through orientation until tomorrow but had a few problems. Some issues:

1)PT training sup who wants me to stay union and work says "~1 year to go full time in union" and FT sup who wants me to become PT sup says "up to 20 years to go FT in union"...

2)Building manager promising "~60k in driving after a year of PT package handling"...

3)In general being told all sorts of lies about everything union/benefit related...

4)Was told that "People are selected for their positions randomly". The people who look like the hardest workers go to Loaders, and every female goes to sort (1 of 5 Females went to unload, the rest, sort)...

Hey whatever, I'm happy to be here and work. Not sure whats going on since so many people have told me so many things but hopefully things will get simpler when it's just me, a trailer with boxes and my coworkers getting it in. (Doubt it but we will see haha )
Are you a gurl?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Hug would be nice....

But seriously, I guess the question would be: Am I correct in thinking that everyone is playing an angle? Is there any person throughout the process of being a new hire that will be a straight shooter, or am I naive for even expecting that?
Just keep your head down and work dude. There will be no “promotions” to management as a new hire. Don’t be so naive

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Depends on what you want to do, and what kinds of full time positions are available. We only have driver positions in my building. Took me almost ten years to go driving. Some new hires became drivers after a year. It all depends on what the needs are. I was literally a week from giving up on the possibility of going full time and starting to look elsewhere.

That may be the wait time now, but if they fill all the openings in the next year, it could be years before another opening. 60k is a stretch for your first year driving. It's 18.75 to start (currently, will go up when the new contract goes into effect), between that and all the lay off days making 60k in any of your first couple years would be extremely unlikely.

Talk to your union BA to get the straight dope.

Only premium jobs (ones that pay higher rates) are doled out based on seniority. Some may also be subject to qualification. Aside from that, you can pretty much be moved around anywhere management wants you. Ask your BA for more specifics about your situation.

Understand that you will not technically be in the union until you gain seniority, until then your union protection may be limited. You'll want to learn as much as you can, go to whatever orientation your local union offers, get a contract book, read it, and ask your BA any questions you have. Find out who your stewards are and get to know them. If any member of management wants to talk to you about your performance, or any other issue that could lead to discipline request a steward's presence and decline to answer questions until one is present.

Kitsune

Depends on what you want to do, and what kinds of full time positions are available. We only have driver positions in my building. Took me almost ten years to go driving. Some new hires became drivers after a year. It all depends on what the needs are. I was literally a week from giving up on the possibility of going full time and starting to look elsewhere.

That may be the wait time now, but if they fill all the openings in the next year, it could be years before another opening. 60k is a stretch for your first year driving. It's 18.75 to start (currently, will go up when the new contract goes into effect), between that and all the lay off days making 60k in any of your first couple years would be extremely unlikely.

Talk to your union BA to get the straight dope.

Only premium jobs (ones that pay higher rates) are doled out based on seniority. Some may also be subject to qualification. Aside from that, you can pretty much be moved around anywhere management wants you. Ask your BA for more specifics about your situation.

Understand that you will not technically be in the union until you gain seniority, until then your union protection may be limited. You'll want to learn as much as you can, go to whatever orientation your local union offers, get a contract book, read it, and ask your BA any questions you have. Find out who your stewards are and get to know them. If any member of management wants to talk to you about your performance, or any other issue that could lead to discipline request a steward's presence and decline to answer questions until one is present.
Great info. Thanks for the insight. I'm in a pretty big hub (one of the biggest according to management) with 600 employees on the midnight sort I work. It seems management has had a big problem keeping part time workers and a lot of part time workers who have stayed don't want to move up. What that means for me, I'm not sure yet.

Anyway thanks for an honest answer instead of just screaming "troll" like some of these people :blink: