flashlights...

mainebrown

hey guys and gals, now that its getting dark earlier, i'm in the market for a flashlight....what do u guys use?...and whats the price?...

SmithBarney

Go hit up your mechanic, our would get us
one of the nice shop ones, and would even get
us batteries when needed.
A nice LED headlamp works wonders too.

mainebrown

i have an llbean headlamp for walking...but a good flashlight to catch a number would be sweet....just getting ready for the winter....gonna buy a boot dryer soon too!

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I have three lights I carry on my route. One Dorcy light that is super bright and not to big, one large mag light that I can use as a spot light for house numbers or beating the crap out of a mad dog and a small clip LED light that I can clip on the fender of the truck for putting chains on and off in the dark or on the brim of my hat for filling out del notices. The Dorcy lights are not cheap but are super bright and batteries last a long time.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I always buy one of the cheap little $2.99 LED lights that use a watch battery and can be hooked to the keychain. That way, its always in my hand when I'm walking up a dark flight of steps. I have been on my route for 15 years, so I dont need a big light to find adresses with.

I used to like Mag lights, but I find that after awhile the switch gets weak and you are constantly thumping the barrel of the light when it gets dim.

drewed

Shankman
Gerber makes some good flash lights, anything from key chains, pen lights, head lamps and some you can get extra filters for.

wornoutupser

I carry three mag lights. Two are 3 cell and one is a 4 cell and all have LED conversions. At peak, I get one and my helper gets one.
My run is very rural and dogs are a huge problem. The 4 cell is longer and hits the dog farther away. You should see the bite marks on the barrels!

I have had dogs that I play with during daylight hours charge me in the dark. I honk, wait, honk,,,wait....if no one comes to the door...NI1...

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
4 cell mag. much brighter, and almost like a ball bat wehn it comes to dogs, as has been mentioned. they have a sleeve that has a hook on it. makes it nice to clip to your belt. and the sleeve helps hold on to it when swinging

also used a visor led that would light up the inside of the truck where you need it. the older trucks only had one in the front and back, if your truck was full, you were out of luck and couldnt see worth a dang.

several times during peak, they used me as a float driver. used the suburban with the 15 million CP spot. that was sweet. light up the whole house from two blocks away.

what i always hoped for was a bright moon like we have had for the last week though. you know the one that lights up to where you throw a shadow at night?

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I loved to use a 1 mil CP spot but none of our trucks have plug ins for them. It would sure come in handy on some of our more rural rtes.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I used a 3 D cell Mag light until I knew my Package route so well I didn't need it anymore. I now carry a 2 AA cell Mag because it is a must in Feeders if you work nights.

Pro: Mags are bright and tough. Con: they are pricey and seem to eat batteries fairly quickly (at least to keep them at their optimum brightness). Nevertheless, I have not found a better flashlight.

old levi's

blank space
If you want a light primarily for spotting mailbox and house numbers, you can't beat a Surefire 6P. Aluminum body, uses 2 lithium batteries,only 5 inches long.
You're probably thinking no way a 5 inch flashlight is going to do what I need. But it will; this is no ordinary flashlight. Maintains a super bright beam that stays focused at a long distance like a spotlight. I have used this light for at least 5 peak seasons. The small size is great; I keep it in my left shirt pocket.
This light is so bright it will keep a bad dog at bay. Not cheap though, 60 bucks. But ,hey you don't want a cheap flashlight when you're out there doing your job. Always carry extra batteries because of the trait of lithiums to drop off sharply once they begin to weaken. Check out the Surefire website. I also use an Energizer led light that hangs around the neck on a cord. To turn it on you pull down on the light against the cord. It's great in the back of the car or when reading labels as you walk or lighting the diad. The Surefire is really too bright for the back of the car because it will reflect off a white label and blind you. (temporarily)

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
I didn't carry a flashlight in package because [-]I was so fast I was never out after dark[/-] I was on the route so long I knew all the house numbers, and I worked in a large well lit town (plenty of street lights).

As JimJimmyJames said, in feeders, you need a flashlight and I carry a two AA Mag light.

dcdriver

nations capital
I am always done rte before it gets dark. The only problem I have is how to find the headlights on the pkgcar when I get caught up in traffic.

Cementups

Box Monkey
When I do need a flashlight I use a mag-lite that I keep in my tote. If I have to keep it close I use a holster like the onse police and rescue use...

Fortunately for me that after 5 years I know where EVERY house is on my route and I don't nee a stinking flashlight. rural routes FTW!