FMLA Experiences

YourCO

I have a sick parent I need to take care of, but they're also very stubborn and I'm not sure if they'll refuse to provide me documentation if they catch wind I'm trying to help them. What is the process to get FMLA? What have you guys done for your FMLA stuff (even if it's for something different) and how'd it go? ANy major caveats to doing it?

qdg2

I have a sick parent I need to take care of, but they're also very stubborn and I'm not sure if they'll refuse to provide me documentation if they catch wind I'm trying to help them. What is the process to get FMLA? What have you guys done for your FMLA stuff (even if it's for something different) and how'd it go? ANy major caveats to doing it?
You are saying your parent doesn't want help?

Their Dr. will have to get involved.....start there. Are you a guardian? Are you on the hippa list?

Except for allowing for more time during chemo treatments for me to be with my wife(Dr. quickly fixed this)....ours was seamless.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Don’t know what documentation your parent has to provide. Fmla is a small section filled out by you and the rest by the doctor since the fmla would be care of a family member.

The easiest way to set up the fmla is just call the hartford and tell them you want to start a new claim for fmla. Took me an entire 10-15 minutes on the phone with them and she did everything. All I did was answer questions. The paperwork was sent to me through email and post office. My current fmla is also care of a family member because of an ongoing pregnancy.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Don’t know what documentation your parent has to provide. Fmla is a small section filled out by you and the rest by the doctor since the fmla would be care of a family member.

The easiest way to set up the fmla is just call the hartford and tell them you want to start a new claim for fmla. Took me an entire 10-15 minutes on the phone with them and she did everything. All I did was answer questions. The paperwork was sent to me through email and post office. My current fmla is also care of a family member because of an ongoing pregnancy.
Ongoing hopefully not more than 9 months

YourCO

Anyone know how it affects vacations? I know they'll burn through all the sick/personal days first, but do I still bid on my vacation weeks? I heard you just do one, but that doesn't make sense.

Thebrownblob

Anyone know how it affects vacations? I know they'll burn through all the sick/personal days first, but do I still bid on my vacation weeks? I heard you just do one, but that doesn't make sense.
You can still bid, but if you’re doing intermittent FMLA the company can use your vacation first all except one week I believe.

Thebrownblob

I don't understand what's to stop someone from just using FMLA then for the vacation weeks they used.
I’m not certain I understand your question. Legally the company can use your vacation except for one week, as you take FMLA. If it’s intermittent they can use a day at a time. If you take the vacation before you use FMLA then obviously the company couldn’t do anything. I’ve seen the company not charge people vacation days as well I’m not sure if they do that on purpose or if it’s just an oversight. I’m quite certain some people abuse it, but most people I believe use it because they need it.

ManInBrown

You can still bid, but if you’re doing intermittent FMLA the company can use your vacation first all except one week I believe.
Gray area here. I’ve been told by someone that they burn thru your vacation days, but when your vacation is up you’re still off, you just don’t get paid because the days have already been used. Then someone else told me you’re not off. When your week off comes up you have to work.

Thebrownblob

Gray area here. I’ve been told by someone that they burn thru your vacation days, but when your vacation is up you’re still off, you just don’t get paid because the days have already been used. Then someone else told me you’re not off. When your week off comes up you have to work.
Well it’s UPS, they could :censored2: up a wet dream.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I took 3 different FMLA leaves during 3 different years for 3-4 months each to care for a sick spouse. Strokes/heart attack.

Just get the paperwork from HR and fill it out. You have to get signatures from doctors. Your insurance stays in effect for 90 days. You can actually get FMLA extensions ( I did but not sure if still available ) but after 90 dyas you have to sign up for COBRA nad pay for your health insurance.

Thebrownblob

I took 3 different FMLA leaves during 3 different years for 3-4 months each to care for a sick spouse. Strokes/heart attack.

Just get the paperwork from HR and fill it out. You have to get signatures from doctors. Your insurance stays in effect for 90 days. You can actually get FMLA extensions ( I did but not sure if still available ) but after 90 dyas you have to sign up for COBRA nad pay for your health insurance.
There is no HR anymore, you call the Hartford To begin the paperwork process