Leave of Absence Unauthorized?

UPSer wife

Hello UPSers,
I would like to get some answers for our "not so common" issue. My husband is an AE in CA, he was diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis and ascending aortic aneurysm back in Dec 2021 (no smoking, no drinking, no drugs). After he found out that, the only way to take care of both issues is open heart surgery, everything went bad. He isolated himself from everybody, didn't want to talk or see anyone, didn't want to go to his cardiologist/primary doctor appointments, because he said he CAN'T have open surgery, he won't survive. He opened a medical leave of absence claim with Hartford in Jan 2021 under FMLA, but not going through with the surgery, obviously his claim was denied (no documents provided from his doctor). He couldn't make the right decisions because of his mental state (we tried everything to help him to go and save his life). Things got so bad that he was put under 5150 hold ( for domestic violence on me and our youngest daughter) and was taken to a behavioral center for 18 days. He was diagnosed with major severe depression with pshycotic features. He is back home for 2 months now. His absence from work it's unauthorized from April 6th. We called HR to find out his employment status, they said to contact Hartford. How long can you be in a leave of absence? His manager filled his position already, but he said he can come back to work if he wants too. He is physically and mentally not capable of that, he is just ...alive. Sorry for the long post, incredible difficult times for us, emotionally, financially, etc... Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Take care and thank you

Hello UPSers,
I would like to get some answers for our "not so common" issue. My husband is an AE in CA, he was diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis and ascending aortic aneurysm back in Dec 2021 (no smoking, no drinking, no drugs). After he found out that, the only way to take care of both issues is open heart surgery, everything went bad. He isolated himself from everybody, didn't want to talk or see anyone, didn't want to go to his cardiologist/primary doctor appointments, because he said he CAN'T have open surgery, he won't survive. He opened a medical leave of absence claim with Hartford in Jan 2021 under FMLA, but not going through with the surgery, obviously his claim was denied (no documents provided from his doctor). He couldn't make the right decisions because of his mental state (we tried everything to help him to go and save his life). Things got so bad that he was put under 5150 hold ( for domestic violence on me and our youngest daughter) and was taken to a behavioral center for 18 days. He was diagnosed with major severe depression with pshycotic features. He is back home for 2 months now. His absence from work it's unauthorized from April 6th. We called HR to find out his employment status, they said to contact Hartford. How long can you be in a leave of absence? His manager filled his position already, but he said he can come back to work if he wants too. He is physically and mentally not capable of that, he is just ...alive. Sorry for the long post, incredible difficult times for us, emotionally, financially, etc... Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Take care and thank you
He should have went on short term disability

UPSer wife

Hi,
Yes, I opened a STD claim too, besides FMLA/CFRA but because I didn't provide documentation to support the claim it got denied too.

UPSer wife

Well, yes he is not paid since Jan 2022. He said he is not strong to go through this, I told him that he is a selfish coward not thinking about his family (happy marriage for 23 years, 2 daughters) but we couldn't get him to do the procedure. He was a good husband and very good father up until he was diagnosed with his serious illness. He is 65, the doctors told him that he needs to do this surgery like 4 months ago, but nothing changes his mind. Of course, he regrets what he did and now he is very sick and can't do anything. Unfortunately, we don't have any living relatives or family, or any support.

Last edited: