From freight to parcel

travis hartman

Is it true that if I want to apply for parcel I have to quit ups freight? And isn't it true that there is a one time hire policy so if I quit then i will not be rehired?

drewed

Shankman
You set up job 2 before you quit, as long as youre on good terms it shouldnt be a problem...ask your hr people to see if they can help

browned out

Is it true that if I want to apply for parcel I have to quit ups freight? And isn't it true that there is a one time hire policy so if I quit then i will not be rehired?

Get it in writing. I know of drivers who were told they could hire back in part time (they did not need full time anymore only benifets)

Needless to say they were not rehired.

I am sure it happens in some situations but protect yourself.

Dutch Dawg

Speaking from the perspective of someone in Parcel. I know of people that quit Parcel in one region of the country and were rehired into the same postion elsewhere upon relocating. Then again I also know of people that left in very good standing and attempted to return only to be rebuked. I think it depends on the prevailing wind at the moment.

In Parcel, I witness districts that don't communicate well among each other. So you see I'm somewhat skeptical that Freight HR would be able to communicate well with Parcel HR.

My question is are things that bad at Freight that you'd even consider Parcel?

That question wasn't cynical nor rhetorical, but sincere.

Fredless

APWA Hater
I would probably rather do the opposite. What makes Freight so bad? I would probably think the pay cut is worth it because you're not in and out of a truck 150+ times a day.

I'm sure always getting treated like an idiot, the never good enough mentality is on both sides equally..but..

govols019

You smell that?
Don't tell some of the freight guys that. I have one I see from time to time that is just bound and determined to tell me how much harder his job is than ours. I always tell him the same thing, I'll trade your 6 stops and air conditioned truck for my 120 stops and no air.

LTL is just different.And I have never had a 6 stop day.Parcels is definetatly a different breed I know,but walkin a mile in my shoes would give u a diff outlook on the matter.I move pallets with a pallet jack that can weigh up to 4000lb each.just one of the many things we frt haulers do , grunt work so to speak. OH also if it weighs over 150 lbs by all means call frt we will get it.The same money pays us both I know i have sent some buisness to parcels.

Kingpin13

Don't tell some of the freight guys that. I have one I see from time to time that is just bound and determined to tell me how much harder his job is than ours. I always tell him the same thing, I'll trade your 6 stops and air conditioned truck for my 120 stops and no air.

lol 6 stops a day? what are u dreaming or somethin?

if we did 6 stops a day, that would be a LOT of freight to unload at each stop

the more unloading the harder it is

ScrewedUP

Why quit your job :censored2:? Were laying off drivers and you want to change jobs. Get your head out of your ass!!! Keep it while you got it. You think the grass is greener on the other side?

LOL. I work in the freight call center, so I don't get to experience the actual physical work of freight, but my best friend was a parcel driver at one time, and trust me, they treat freight drivers better than parcel drivers.

It goes the same thing for the call centers: UPS Freight is more laid back than the parcel call centers. It also depends on call center.

witheeze

Jack-knife
ups is trying to run both the same way and that just wont work fright dosnt that a monopoly on the industry that parcel does

bluehdmc

And you don't think there isn't screwed up management in parcel? Read some more posts here.
I work in feeders, I've had to load my own truck at the customer pickups with pallet jacks. We have some good managers and some "not so good" ones. Granted we don't have a 100+ stops, and have a/c, but you can also play yard jockey with a tractor and be in and out all day dropping and hooking working up a sweat.

The grass always looks greener on the other side.

UPSF Peeon

ive never had a air conditioned truck, i dont have air ride, i dont have a radio, i dont have a diad holder, i dont have a locking differential

ill trade my bucket of bolts for your goofy little package car that you can turn around anywhere plus take the $6 a hour pay difference

gibbs

The ubiquitous Brown is more than chocolate-colored trucks or a plain-vanilla ground delivery business. United Parcel Service (UPS) is the world's largest package delivery company, transporting some 15 million packages and documents per business day throughout the US and to more than 200 countries and territories. Its delivery operations use a fleet of about 100,000 motor vehicles and about 500 aircraft. In addition to package delivery, the company offers services such as logistics and freight forwarding through UPS Supply Chain Solutions, and less-than-truckload freight transportation through UPS Ground Freight.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The ubiquitous Brown is more than chocolate-colored trucks or a plain-vanilla ground delivery business. United Parcel Service (UPS) is the world's largest package delivery company, transporting some 15 million packages and documents per business day throughout the US and to more than 200 countries and territories. Its delivery operations use a fleet of about 100,000 motor vehicles and about 500 aircraft. In addition to package delivery, the company offers services such as logistics and freight forwarding through UPS Supply Chain Solutions, and less-than-truckload freight transportation through UPS Ground Freight.

Thanks for the press release but I fail to see how it relates to this thread (or to anything on this forum).