Frying my bird

542thruNthru

2 things I always tell people that fry a turkey the first time.
1. Make sure that bird is completely dry and no pockets of water.
2. See how much liquid you need to submerge the bird and not over flow it before the day of.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Frying a turkey doesn't give you the pan juices that make a fantastic gravy!! Gravy from the jar is in case you fail making the gravy the old fashioned way!!

Indecisi0n

2. See how much liquid you need to submerge the bird and not over flow it before the day of.
Might sound stupid but so you fill the fryer with oil and dip the turkey in it to see how much the oil rises ( fryer off of course). How do you judge how much oil fills in the cavity.

542thruNthru

Might sound stupid but so you fill the fryer with oil and dip the turkey in it to see how much the oil rises ( fryer off of course). How do you judge how much oil fills in the cavity.

Use water a couple days before and lower the turkey in. Pay attention to how much water you used.

Then use peanut oil the day of.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

Great advice! Too many people forget about the change in volume when adding the turkey and it causes the oil to spill over and ignite.
The only other piece of advice I can offer is if time permits, (which it should) is to let the turkey cool down before dipping. Let the turkey get to, or at least close to, ambient temperature before the dip. It will retain it's natural juices and dropping it in the hot oil will act like searing to lock them in.

Indecisi0n

Great advice! Too many people forget about the change in volume when adding the turkey and it causes the oil to spill over and ignite.
The only other piece of advice I can offer is if time permits, (which it should) is to let the turkey cool down before dipping. Let the turkey get to, or at least close to, ambient temperature before the dip. It will retain it's natural juices and dropping it in the hot oil will act like searing to lock them in.
I can def let it sit out to get to ambient temps before cooking .