FT drivers w/ a business on the side? What is it?

WyoBrown

Ive never been one to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak, and have been looking for a business that I could handle along with my daily route. I think I need a creative outlet. Anyone juggling both driving and their own business?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a feeder driver who also owns investment property (apartments) on the side. He and his wife (former UPS driver) are currently developing a subdivision.

We had a driver (retiree) who sold Quixtar (Amway) on the side.

We have a driver who is the Youth Commission director for his hometown. We often kid him about running through his day so that he can get to his "real" job. The side job pays him $10K/year and he really enjoys doing it but, all kidding aside, his customers don't always get the service that they deserve because he is trying to get done so early; in fact, several of his P/U accts had to be reassigned to other drivers because he was getting there too early.

I actually looked in to SMC at one point but never followed through on it.

A lot of drivers will tell you that just a little overtime will more than make up any revenue you may make through a side business.

upsman29

I own a landscape construction business on the side. I have 3 guys working for me, 1 which handles my day to day business on site. I handle of all the estimates and the meet and greet of the customers. I usually schedule my estimates in the evening and sometimes I take days off when I have 4 or 5 to do during the same day. Thats when I get that 24hr flu ;) but my business has been a very good success so far. If you do decide to start a business and you get to the point where you have people working for you remember this 1 main thing. Don't ever let your lead person know how to do everything. Using my business for example if my lead person knew how I did my bids or even what to bid for a job he could open his own business. I handle the ordering of all material, billing and payments are made only to me when the job is completed. I trust my people to a point but I use to do this kinda work before I started driving years ago so I know what goes through the mind of the laborer. Good labor will eventually think they can do better by going on their own and will do so. I have no problem with my lead guy if he ever did leave he's learning the skills he will need to perform in the business. Im not going to teach him how to profit from it also. Thats something he will have to learn when he goes on his own.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Depending on your delivery area, a real estate license could come in pretty handy.

I've often wondered if it would be possible/ethical to buy out some Fedex ground routes, hire on some drivers and convert the pick ups to UPS via sales leads.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I own a landscape construction business on the side. I have 3 guys working for me, 1 which handles my day to day business on site. I handle of all the estimates and the meet and greet of the customers. I usually schedule my estimates in the evening and sometimes I take days off when I have 4 or 5 to do during the same day. Thats when I get that 24hr flu ;) but my business has been a very good success so far. If you do decide to start a business and you get to the point where you have people working for you remember this 1 main thing. Don't ever let your lead person know how to do everything. Using my business for example if my lead person knew how I did my bids or even what to bid for a job he could open his own business. I handle the ordering of all material, billing and payments are made only to me when the job is completed. I trust my people to a point but I use to do this kinda work before I started driving years ago so I know what goes through the mind of the laborer. Good labor will eventually think they can do better by going on their own and will do so. I have no problem with my lead guy if he ever did leave he's learning the skills he will need to perform in the business. Im not going to teach him how to profit from it also. Thats something he will have to learn when he goes on his own.
I've thought alot about these types of behaviours in the past few years.

As a drummer and rhythmist, i personally love teaching people everything included, the absolute guarded secrets to the utter basics. Only the ones who want to "get it" will get it and apply themselves and that is something I've learned growing up and older. This applies to almost everything in life. I could show a million people A through Z and only a handful will really make it to where they want to be, and those same people will be there no matter where they get it (slightly different avenues, for sure)

Bolded above, this is exactly the reason alot of work that gets done, if at all, is half ass. You draw the line somewhere, and the line is short of where it needs to be because you're insecure about teaching others a skill out of individual selfishness and because you feel as though you're too important and time is too limited to be bothered, plus you'll recieve more competition and be forced to work harder. That's not the way I will ever approch life, but to each his own I guess...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Depending on your delivery area, a real estate license could come in pretty handy.

I've often wondered if it would be possible/ethical to buy out some Fedex ground routes, hire on some drivers and convert the pick ups to UPS via sales leads.

The real estate license is a great idea. Not so sure about Fed ex though. :biting:

WyoBrown

so that one can leave this job sooner.
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. One never knows whats around the corner in life and it never hurts to have options. Im impressed that many of you have diversified but like Over9Five mentioned...its tough to have any kind of life outside UPS as it is, but I just might try it anyway. I really want to flip a house, but the time factor worries me.

mikestrek

so that one can leave this job sooner.
Trust me, once you reach the half way point, You will want to get your pention. If you don't find a business to leave this company by the half way point, Then, Your here for good. May as well spend time with your family, Or bang your brain trying to figure out a part time business to run from home that won't scam you or break your back so you can no longer work for UPS.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen

Yeah, the world is in need of a few million more RE agents....dear God...

Hey, they real estate market is awful right now, but at least it is all commission so you won't know in advance how little you'll make.

One word - eBay

moreluck

golden ticket member
I had a real estate license and unless you have some special niche of clients, it is a horrible business. The cold-calling made me feel like the telemarketers that I hang up on daily. Any money you earn goes right back into the business (and a % to your broker). It's beyond tough!!:dissapointed:

Did I mention you work 7 days a week? Calls late at night?

filthpig

Is everyone aware that DOT rules state that you cannot work more than 55 hours a week if you drive? This includes any side work such as lawn services, etc.

WyoBrown

I had a real estate license and unless you have some special niche of clients, it is a horrible business. The cold-calling made me feel like the telemarketers that I hang up on daily. Any money you earn goes right back into the business (and a % to your broker). It's beyond tough!!:dissapointed:

Did I mention you work 7 days a week? Calls late at night?
It IS a horrible business! I was a sales agent for approx. 1 yr when I decided work PT for UPS. Thought I would get a good workout early in the morning along with benefits on preload...I did! One week into preload, mgmt had me signed up for driver school (air)...nine months later Im a full time driver and kissed real estate goodbye :happy2:

Cementups

Box Monkey
I used to have a business selling aftermarket parts for import cars. That as a about 2 years ago. I don't miss it. the exxtra money was nice but my extar time is sooooo much nicer.