Full scale driver doing part time work / Reduced pay

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by thx1138, Jun 2, 2016.

  1. thx1138

    thx1138 New Member

    I was told there was no route available to me and asked to take the day off (which translates to "no route we want to put you on today", which is fine). A part time sup later called and asked if I could help out in the building and I said yes. I have done this in the past and still got paid driver top rate for all hours worked. On my most recent paycheck I got paid less than half of my normal rate (which is even less than I was making as a part timer before going driving).

    Is there any contractual language that guarantees me to get paid full scale, even when I am doing other jobs? And, worst case, if not, shouldn't I still be paid what my theoretical part time rate would be based on years of service?
  2. upschuck

    upschuck Well-Known Member

    You should be paid your PT rate while working in building.
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    Did you not have personal/sick days left that you could have used instead?
  4. By The Book

    By The Book Well-Known Member

    They should pay you what your contract/local agreement rate is for when you do inside work. Some contracts pay top rate and some pay part time rate. Call your union and explain your past situation along with your current one, with regards to how there's a pay difference. I agree you shouldn't be paid as a new part timer.
  5. BigUnionGuy

    BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

    The first thing you need to do, is file a grievance ASAP.

    Depending on what your supplement says.... (typically) for your pay to be reduced

    it would have to be a lay-off type situation, where you are exercising your seniority

    to bump a junior employee in order to work.

    The company initiated the situation by asking you to "help out".

    You didn't go to them looking for work, because of a lay-off.

    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. By The Book

    By The Book Well-Known Member

    Do no less than get your steward and go in and request to be paid top rate....document this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Nike

    Nike Active Member

    File a grievance you will be working again real quick
  8. thx1138

    thx1138 New Member

    Made a copy of the paycheck and asked center manager what was up with the discrepancy. I later received a message in the DIAD that I would be getting an adjustment and it would be corrected to top pay.

    Thanks for the support and advice.
  9. By The Book

    By The Book Well-Known Member

    Keep notes of discussion times and witnesses/diad message date and time. When you receive the adjustment, thank your center manager. This will prevent this from happening in the future. Trust but verify. We ask to be made whole, with a steward before we file a grievance.......if they don't correct the mistake then we use the grievance process.
  10. thx1138

    thx1138 New Member

    Definitely will. Not afraid to file a grievance.
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    This is why it is always best to try to work out the issue face to face before putting pen to paper.
  12. HardknocksUPSer

    HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

    My local pays your FT rate while you work in the building.