Glad I stopped or he may have died.

brown67

0230 in morning and I'm heading back to the hub in Denver from my center in Northern Colorado. Pulling double 45's down a two lane highway going to the interstate and I see a car wrecked on the side of the road. Front end is nearly gone. Smashed back to the windshield.

Not much shoulder on the road, but I pull over as far as I can and turn on my hazards and leave my headlights on bright. Trying to light myself up like a Christmas tree so no one hits me parked on the side of the road. I grab my cell phone and jacket and walk/jog back to the car hoping to God that no one is in the car. As walk up to the window with my flashlight on I see a young man in the front seat of the car not moving. His face is smashed up and bloody and his body is nearly completely under the dash of the car. All I can see of him is from mid torso up. I was sure he was dead. I quickly dialed 911 and while I was dialing he moved his head. I was shining my flashlight at his face and I think that caused him to stir, but he was unconscious.

The 911 operator was wonderful and I told her where I was and she dispatched 1st responders immediately. I had no idea what to do. She told me not to touch him or move him. Just talk to him and tell him not to move. She asked me a lot of questions about his condition which was pretty bad. Barley alive, but alive. He would move his head a bit, but that was all. I would tell him not to move and to just lay his head down.

A sheriff arrived very quickly and I could see other emergency personal coming from several different directions when he arrive. The young man had stopped moving which I thought was good, but when the sheriff arrive he looked in the car and radioed for an extraction team to cut him out and said, "possible DOA." My heart sank. Had he died while I waiting for 1st reponders. He pulled his flashlight out and shined it at the young man and he moved his head again. Thank God he was still alive. He yelled some questions at the young man and he didn't respond until he asked how old he was. He said, "19." I don't think he was conscious. He never opened his eyes or said anything else, but he did respond.

By this time there where at least a dozen fire trucks, police cars, rescue units and an ambulance. Wow, they were fast. The first officer arrived in 6 minutes which was great considering I was out of town in a rural area. The rest arrived within a couple of minutes after the sheriff arrived. The road was shut down and they began to cut him out. A State Patrol officer asked me a few questions and got my name, address, and phone number. He thanked me for stopping and said I could leave.

I don't know if the young man is still alive. When the fire department cut off the door I could see the young man's left leg. It was folded up under the dash of the car and I'm sure his feet, ankles, and legs were broken up pretty bad. His nose and mouth were smashed up and I'm sure he will need some reconstructive surgery on his face. Who knows about brain injuries.

From the time I stopped til the first officer arrive about half a dozen cars went by and no one else stopped. I got the impression he had been there awhile. I've seen other cars that have been in front end accidents and normally fluids from the car get on the engine and it starts steaming. No steam, nothing. I'm really glad I stopped, because who knows how long that young man would have been there.

By the way. UPS dispatch was great too. Called down and told them what was going on and they were wonderful. Told me I did the right thing to stop. Take my time. Etc. All in all I'm really glad I stopped and helped out. Say a little prayer for the young man that he will be alright.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Back in '97 I was involved in an accident with my young son. A kid hit us broadside.
I was shocked at the amount of people that did not stop to see if we all were okay.
From that day I vowed I would not be one of those that just drive on by the scene of an accident.
Though the occassions have been few I have stopped. Even pulled one guy out of his pickup he rolled. Had to pull the windshield out to do it but he got out.
You are a good person

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
0230 in morning and I'm heading back to the hub in Denver from my center in Northern Colorado. Pulling double 45's down a two lane highway going to the interstate and I see a car wrecked on the side of the road. Front end is nearly gone. Smashed back to the windshield.

Not much shoulder on the road, but I pull over as far as I can and turn on my hazards and leave my headlights on bright. Trying to light myself up like a Christmas tree so no one hits me parked on the side of the road. I grab my cell phone and jacket and walk/jog back to the car hoping to God that no one is in the car. As walk up to the window with my flashlight on I see a young man in the front seat of the car not moving. His face is smashed up and bloody and his body is nearly completely under the dash of the car. All I can see of him is from mid torso up. I was sure he was dead. I quickly dialed 911 and while I was dialing he moved his head. I was shining my flashlight at his face and I think that caused him to stir, but he was unconscious.

The 911 operator was wonderful and I told her where I was and she dispatched 1st responders immediately. I had no idea what to do. She told me not to touch him or move him. Just talk to him and tell him not to move. She asked me a lot of questions about his condition which was pretty bad. Barley alive, but alive. He would move his head a bit, but that was all. I would tell him not to move and to just lay his head down.

A sheriff arrived very quickly and I could see other emergency personal coming from several different directions when he arrive. The young man had stopped moving which I thought was good, but when the sheriff arrive he looked in the car and radioed for an extraction team to cut him out and said, "possible DOA." My heart sank. Had he died while I waiting for 1st reponders. He pulled his flashlight out and shined it at the young man and he moved his head again. Thank God he was still alive. He yelled some questions at the young man and he didn't respond until he asked how old he was. He said, "19." I don't think he was conscious. He never opened his eyes or said anything else, but he did respond.

By this time there where at least a dozen fire trucks, police cars, rescue units and an ambulance. Wow, they were fast. The first officer arrived in 6 minutes which was great considering I was out of town in a rural area. The rest arrived within a couple of minutes after the sheriff arrived. The road was shut down and they began to cut him out. A State Patrol officer asked me a few questions and got my name, address, and phone number. He thanked me for stopping and said I could leave.

I don't know if the young man is still alive. When the fire department cut off the door I could see the young man's left leg. It was folded up under the dash of the car and I'm sure his feet, ankles, and legs were broken up pretty bad. His nose and mouth were smashed up and I'm sure he will need some reconstructive surgery on his face. Who knows about brain injuries.

From the time I stopped til the first officer arrive about half a dozen cars went by and no one else stopped. I got the impression he had been there awhile. I've seen other cars that have been in front end accidents and normally fluids from the car get on the engine and it starts steaming. No steam, nothing. I'm really glad I stopped, because who knows how long that young man would have been there.

By the way. UPS dispatch was great too. Called down and told them what was going on and they were wonderful. Told me I did the right thing to stop. Take my time. Etc. All in all I'm really glad I stopped and helped out. Say a little prayer for the young man that he will be alright.
Your a good man god bless you.

Is it possible for you to do a little research and find out about this young man for us?? I will say a prayer for both you and him. Your family and friends should be very proud of you. I am.

brown67

Is it possible for you to do a little research and find out about this young man for us?? I will say a prayer for both you and him. Your family and friends should be very proud of you. I am.
I tried to call the hospital, but they couldn't help me because I didn't have his name. Nothing in the papers either which is good. Usually don't make it to the paper unless they die.

FilingBluesFL

Good job, man.

I did the same once on my way home through a rural area. Dude wiped a mustang (edge body style, not one of the nice ones) into a 4-5 foot deep ditch on the side of the road. All you could see was headlights.

Swung back around, he was climbing up the ditch, got out, asked if he needed help or paramedics, or police, "No dude, don't call the police"

Right as he said that, three sheriffs deputies drove by. "Sorry dude, I think you're SOL three cops just.... whoops, they're turning around."

"Awwwwww maaaaaaan."

Dude was drunk or something, I dunno. Wasn't nearly as bad as this, but man, people just drive by and don't care these days.

You did the right thing, dude.

I'm sure you'll be called in the office tomorrow for a warning letter and discipline.

brown67

Good job, man.

I did the same once on my way home through a rural area. Dude wiped a mustang (edge body style, not one of the nice ones) into a 4-5 foot deep ditch on the side of the road. All you could see was headlights.

Swung back around, he was climbing up the ditch, got out, asked if he needed help or paramedics, or police, "No dude, don't call the police"

Right as he said that, three sheriffs deputies drove by. "Sorry dude, I think you're SOL three cops just.... whoops, they're turning around."

"Awwwwww maaaaaaan."

Dude was drunk or something, I dunno. Wasn't nearly as bad as this, but man, people just drive by and don't care these days.

You did the right thing, dude.

I'm sure you'll be called in the office tomorrow for a warning letter and discipline.

No I'm good. When I got back to Denver all the sups in dispatch wanted to here the story. Everyone was cool about it. Told me I did the right thing.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Feeders has shown me that if live on the highways, you will never be surprised by the highways. Not with time, anyways.

I've never been as close as you did in this situation. I've never been a first responder, but I've definitely been the second and third, and it can be surreal. I've crushed deer, coyotes, skunks and raccoons and missed fifty times as many. I can't count how many drunk drivers I've nearly killed, and I don't want to know what happened to the crashes I've driven past. I always cringe at the flashing red and blue lights way up ahead, if only because what I've seen in the past.

Most people never see what happens on the roads between dusk and dawn. Hell, most feeder drivers never do either, until they do. Perhaps the greatest safety advantage of driving the dark roads, is seeing what happens on those dark roads, when you drive them every single night.

Driver, don't be ashamed to talk to a professional about what you've seen, or what you feel.

I hope I won't, if it happens to me.

brown67

I appreciate all of your kind words. Plus those of friends and relatives. I'm no hero which many people have said I am. I just pulled over and called 911. I would hope someone would do that for me if I got into a wreck.

I don't like the site of blood much. I don't pass out, but I really can't watch myself get a blood test or a shot for that matter. All of my kids were delivered c section and I always kept my eyes focused on my wife and not the c section area. No slasher movies. I just don't like blood. Yes, it will shake you up seeing something like that. Like most of you I have seen my share of accidents on the hwy at night. Always after the fact. But, I actually feel really good tonight, because I stopped and helped. Not sure why, but I wasn't bothered by the blood or the site of him pinned under the dash. He needed help and I was the only one there to help; so I did. I slept fine yesterday; no nightmares and I'm really at peace. I've been talking to everyone. Wife, kids, parents, and friends and that helps. My wife was great when I got home, since I was still a little shook up. We talked for quite awhile before I went to bed. Think I just needed to vent for awhile and relax.

We even joked about it tonight. She asked me to load the dishwasher and I said, "but I saved a guys life last night I can't do dishes." :0) By the the way that doesn't work, but I tried. Thanks again for the kind words.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Feeders has shown me that if live on the highways, you will never be surprised by the highways. Not with time, anyways.

I've never been as close as you did in this situation. I've never been a first responder, but I've definitely been the second and third, and it can be surreal. I've crushed deer, coyotes, skunks and raccoons and missed fifty times as many. I can't count how many drunk drivers I've nearly killed, and I don't want to know what happened to the crashes I've driven past. I always cringe at the flashing red and blue lights way up ahead, if only because what I've seen in the past.

Most people never see what happens on the roads between dusk and dawn. Hell, most feeder drivers never do either, until they do. Perhaps the greatest safety advantage of driving the dark roads, is seeing what happens on those dark roads, when you drive them every single night.

Driver, don't be ashamed to talk to a professional about what you've seen, or what you feel.

I hope I won't, if it happens to me.

You are right about what you see and the lasting impression. I know a driver who cringes at the blue and red lights because he had seen too many tarps draped in respect from the cab of his truck.

One accident took him deep into depression because he knew the driver in the first truck who stopped to inspect the damage behind him one morning. My guy was in a slow pass 20 minutes after impact and saw the minivan pushed under the ICC bar by a chain reaction TT accident involving two 53's pulled by day cabs. Then he saw the tarp...

My guy recognized his buddy and was glad to see he wasn't hurt. Brandon found out later in the morning his buddy did have injuries and still today, he can't drive. Brandon's buddy found the minivan drivers head and the tarp Brandon saw was covering it.

Brandon changed instantly. He lives and breathes space and visibility. He saw how life can be ripped from you in a second because of road stupidity, the minivan driver and his buddy.

His buddy couldn't fix the minivan in his blind spot following too close with two speeding Holland drivers behind him....two families lost a father that foggy morning.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I appreciate all of your kind words. Plus those of friends and relatives. I'm no hero which many people have said I am. I just pulled over and called 911. I would hope someone would do that for me if I got into a wreck.

I don't like the site of blood much. I don't pass out, but I really can't watch myself get a blood test or a shot for that matter. All of my kids were delivered c section and I always kept my eyes focused on my wife and not the c section area. No slasher movies. I just don't like blood. Yes, it will shake you up seeing something like that. Like most of you I have seen my share of accidents on the hwy at night. Always after the fact. But, I actually feel really good tonight, because I stopped and helped. Not sure why, but I wasn't bothered by the blood or the site of him pinned under the dash. He needed help and I was the only one there to help; so I did. I slept fine yesterday; no nightmares and I'm really at peace. I've been talking to everyone. Wife, kids, parents, and friends and that helps. My wife was great when I got home, since I was still a little shook up. We talked for quite awhile before I went to bed. Think I just needed to vent for awhile and relax.

We even joked about it tonight. She asked me to load the dishwasher and I said, "but I saved a guys life last night I can't do dishes." :0) By the the way that doesn't work, but I tried. Thanks again for the kind words.
Don't ever stop being the man you are and never lose the compassion for mankind.
It is too easy to drive by or walk away.
We need more like you and I can confidently say this is what WE do and this is our common thread as UPSers.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You sir not only have one of the coolest avatar here but you also are a good and decent human being. Thank you

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Once while in the Navy stationed at the Presidio of Monterey a bunch of us went to Oakland to see a rock concert. The hotel we were staying at didn't have a pool so we crashed another pool at a hotel down the road.

While swimming in the pool, an elderly woman had a mild heart attack and starting sinking to the bottom. I swept her up out of the pool and gave her mouth to mouth and just as the firemen were coming onto the scene she came to. The firemen told me I had saved her life surely and the hotel manager later found out that we weren't guests of his hotel but gave us a free week stay. The next day there was a little write-up of the incident in the San Francisco Chronicle. Made me feel real good and I know that the OP feels real good too. Good job mate!

barnyard

KTM rider

This is really, really, really good advice.

Even if you do not think that you need to see a counselor, do it anyways.

and good on you for doing the right thing.

FilingBluesFL

Once while in the Navy stationed at the Presidio of Monterey a bunch of us went to Oakland to see a rock concert. The hotel we were staying at didn't have a pool so we crashed another pool at a hotel down the road.

While swimming in the pool, an elderly woman had a mild heart attack and starting sinking to the bottom. I swept her up out of the pool and gave her mouth to mouth and just as the firemen were coming onto the scene she came to. The firemen told me I had saved her life surely and the hotel manager later found out that we weren't guests of his hotel but gave us a free week stay. The next day there was a little write-up of the incident in the San Francisco Chronicle. Made me feel real good and I know that the OP feels real good too. Good job mate!

If that's your excuse for making out with an elderly chick, more power to ya, dude!

LOL

Good call man, I'm sure her family was pretty appreciative, too!

Xexys

Retired and Happy
If that's your excuse for making out with an elderly chick, more power to ya, dude!

LOL

Good call man, I'm sure her family was pretty appreciative, too!

Yes, her husband was circling the pool crying his eyes out and definitely didn't know what was going on. It was really just a reaction on my part, needed to be done so I did it.

In no way am I trying to detract from the OP. He did a very good deed and should be properly patted on the back for what he did. I'm merely trying to connect with him on the level that it feels real good to do something good without anything in return.