Gob Smacking Stupidity

whenIgetthere

A guy at our station did something unbelievably stupid, got caught and was fired. He’s 60, a former lawyer and was just waiting for an ops manager slot to open. Nice guy, smart (or so it seemed).

Apparently, he used his company gas card several times to gas up his own car. Management went to the gas station, looked at the surveillance videos and had him dead to rights.

Everyone is pretty stunned. I can’t imagine that he thought he’d never get caught. I don’t understand why some people believe that and do such dumb things.
We had a guy waiting for interviews for ops mgr, used the corporate account to ship stuff and got canned.

AB831

Lots of people stop at their vehicles before pulling into the station.
Sure. I did it all the time to drop off my lunch box. But I think a gas tank is going to be much harder to conceal. The one user mentioned going home on your break. I never thought of that. I didn't have that luxury.

AB831

He may have very well been at one time a lawyer but if there was in the past an established pattern of conduct similar to what he's alleged to have done here.....he may have lost his law license.
If we catch you stealing toilet paper again, your days of practicing law at this firm are over.

dezguy

Sure. I did it all the time to drop off my lunch box. But I think a gas tank is going to be much harder to conceal. The one user mentioned going home on your break. I never thought of that. I didn't have that luxury.
It's not like management is sitting at the window, watching what's going on in the parking lot and, unless they had any suspicions, I doubt they would go over security footage. Besides, park far enough back in the parking lot, position the truck so it blocks the view of your personal vehicle and there shouldn't be a whole lot of evidence.

Unless someone is incredibly stupid or management decides to do a fine audit of the gas receipts, it wouldn't be hard to get away with.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Stop at your vehicle at our station and you will immediately be visited by security. Parking lot is monitored by CCTV.

btrlov

What’s a Ops Manager at FDX? Here at UPS it’s like a Sr. Director; 1 notch down from a VP
UPS eqv is Full-Time Supervisor/FT OnRoad Supervisor.The position below Center Manager or Hub Manager. Fedex Glorifies "Managers"... but the point is to avoid paying addtional compensation and dodging labor regulations

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
This is definitely pissing dano off!
Hopefully.

But Dano is still p.o.’d about paycheck thieves. You know the one’s that take a whole extra minute for their post trip and a extra minute for courier clerical. From what I hear he’s still in hot pursuit of these legendary banditos.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
UPS eqv is Full-Time Supervisor/FT OnRoad Supervisor.The position below Center Manager or Hub Manager. Fedex Glorifies "Managers"... but the point is to avoid paying addtional compensation and dodging labor regulations
FedEx Ops Managers are simply conduits that transport the wishes of the Memphis Hive Mind and impose them upon the employees. Bad mouthing unions both implicitly and explicitly it part and parcel of the job, as well as the dodging of labor regulations mentioned. Most managers I have ever known were also experts at falsifying reports in order to make it look like they were making their numbers, and very good at overlooking obvious employee falsification like working through lunch, off the clock, or otherwise doing things that weren't ethical or "by the book".

My only experience working for UPS was as a Feeder Temp during Peak, and from what I saw, the average UPS manager was competent and did their job...or else. No hiding in your office avoiding the dispatchers and not answering your phone.