Going back to UPS...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szacoma

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine told me about this place and it seemed like a good place to get some input on what im thinking.
So, here's the deal. I worked for UPS for about 2 years but left about a year ago. I was sick of being bumped from positions simply because i lacked the seniority even though i worked my as$ off and deserved the position over the trash that took it from me. Also I thought that the longer I stay the harder it would be for me to leave, because I didnt see it as a career I wanted, so I jumped ship. Now i've been talking to my buddy, who is a driver of 15 years seniority, and been thinking about it a lot as well and it seems like it would be a better idea for me to go back and start a career.
Now I like doing many things; from writing, photography, music, automotive work, construction, cooking, restorations, psychology... you get the idea. It seems, however, that every time I think of or try to pursue one of these as a career, it turns out to be more of something I'd rather do as a hobby. Lately i've been thinking that a career at UPS would be perfect because it would allow me to have a career that's not too involved, make good money, and give me time to do everything i like to do.

So, long question short, does this seem like the logical way to go? Do most of you like your jobs, or at least can put up with it because of the benefits of the job? Any input would be great and much appreciated. Im turning 23 soon and feel like if i dont start something soon... I'll be too late.

Thanks...

Szacoma

I understand that I kinda screwed myself as far a seniority goes. I know that if i go back I just have to have a different mind set and stop working so hard and as much as it bugs me, only do as much as it takes to get by. Thats the price i pay for leaving...

N

NI(4)

well, as far as having time to pursue all those other intrest..i wouldnt count on that. My typical week at UPS starting monday is 10 hour day...sleep, 10 hour day...sleep, etc until the weekend where I spend some time with my family, watch a movie or some other activity that you can do, and then you just kinda wanna sleep some more cause your sore from the week. But yeah I like my job because you dont have to get to involved and you leave your responsiblities at work when you punch out. Also I like working outdoors, without a manager breathing down my neck, and the moneys right for me.

And also remeber you will probaly have to put up with 3-4 year of bull-****(depending what center you work) before you get a driver spot, have decent vacation time, get paid right, and have a decent route.

Good luck to ya

trickpony1

Lately i've been thinking that a career at UPS would be perfect because it would allow me to have a career that's not too involved, make good money, and give me time to do everything i like to do. /QUOTE]

1)not too involved
2)make good money
3)give me time......

If you stay part time, forget #2.
If you make it to full time, forget #1 and #3........forget #2 for the three years that it will take you to make it through progression (assuming you make it through the 90 probation period)

One can't have their cake and eat it too.

tieguy

Banned
Lately i've been thinking that a career at UPS would be perfect because it would allow me to have a career that's not too involved, make good money, and give me time to do everything i like to do. /QUOTE]

1)not too involved
2)make good money
3)give me time......

If you stay part time, forget #2.
If you make it to full time, forget #1 and #3........forget #2 for the three years that it will take you to make it through progression (assuming you make it through the 90 probation period)

One can't have their cake and eat it too.

rare treat when I agree with Trick on a post.:speechless:

upsgrunt

Yea- forget about the "time" to do the things that interest you. That time is now devoted to things you need to do and have to do.:sad-little:

under the radar

A Trained Professional
UPS is a great place to work but as a non-management employee you have to deal with the seniority as opposed to merit issue. Of course, seniority has it's privileges once you earn it.

Another thing about UPS is, you can can go as far as your abilities will take you. You can be the CEO if you have the skills. One of my center managers went on to be head of UPS Canada and is now managing some 40,000 employees in the northeast U.S. Unfortunately, if this means management or full time non-management, you will have very little time to pursue other things during the work week. This is the trade-off to making a very nice living.

As a fulltime driver I have earned, via seniority, seven weeks of vacation and have only worked a handful of Saturdays by choice (Christmas Eve). My wife was able to stay home and raise our kids. I have been able to balance the long hours during the week by focusing on my family during my free time. My other interests come after them.

These are all choices you have to make when choosing a career. Any job that pays well will usually come with significant time demands.

Szacoma

Thank you for the great input so far. By "time" i pretty much mean the weekends and any time during vacation that i accrue. I know that its not a 9 to 5er job and during the week you pretty much have one focus and thats the job. I understand all that, it just seems... easier i guess than some other careers, not that im looking for a simple route. Anyway... thanks.

upsgrunt

UPS is a great place to work but as a non-management employee you have to deal with the seniority as opposed to merit issue. Of course, seniority has it's privileges once you earn it.

Another thing about UPS is, you can can go as far as your abilities will take you. You can be the CEO if you have the skills. One of my center managers went on to be head of UPS Canada and is now managing some 40,000 employees in the northeast U.S. Unfortunately, if this means management or full time non-management, you will have very little time to pursue other things during the work week. This is the trade-off to making a very nice living.

As a fulltime driver I have earned, via seniority, seven weeks of vacation and have only worked a handful of Saturdays by choice (Christmas Eve). My wife was able to stay home and raise our kids. I have been able to balance the long hours during the week by focusing on my family during my free time. My other interests come after them.

These are all choices you have to make when choosing a career. Any job that pays well will usually come with significant time demands.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

pkg-king

If you can handle the mental aspect of the job then go for it, you won't regret it 25 years from now. I always said anyone can do this job from a physical stand point, it's the people who can't handle the mental side of things that are the disgruntled employees who eventually get into trouble. UPS has a method for everything, if you have enough self discipline and are able to follow these methods day in and day out you'll be fine.

govols019

You smell that?
I know that if i go back I just have to have a different mind set and stop working so hard and as much as it bugs me, only do as much as it takes to get by.

What a load of crap. If that's how you feel I hope you go work for DHL.

happy harry

As a former UPS supervisor and hourly employee i can tell you this. UPS is a great place to work.As an hourly employee everyone has to put there time in before you are able to make real $$$ or get promoted to a better position.(pickoff,sorter,driver,etc) Coming from a UPS background you already have the benefit of knowing what to expect. When it comes to the politics of a more senior employee getting to do various jobs that you think you are qualified to do.I think you need to have a one on one with your pt supervisor and let him know where your coming from and your intentions. It always pays to give 100%. Because down the line someone will remember that you might be that go to guy and you can reap the rewards then. Also from employees i still keep in contact with. Now is the best time to get into UPS if you are looking to drive or move up the ladder.

Leftinbuilding

I understand that I kinda screwed myself as far a seniority goes. I know that if i go back I just have to have a different mind set and stop working so hard and as much as it bugs me, only do as much as it takes to get by. Thats the price i pay for leaving...

Do yourself, and us, a favor. Take one of your many other options. We don't need, or want you! Carrying dead weight gets old.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
It is UPS policy to not rehire. So You will be extremely lucky if you get rehired.

Wrong. I've worked inside twice and two MORE times as a helper. Had this new job not come through, I'd probably be a helper again this year! Its NICE to actually have time and energy to do something other than sleep :happy-very:! I'm thinking about picking up my old hobby of bike riding in the spring. The snow is going to hit Colorado soon! -Rocky

happy harry

Wrong. I've worked inside twice and two MORE times as a helper. Had this new job not come through, I'd probably be a helper again this year! Its NICE to actually have time and energy to do something other than sleep :happy-very:! I'm thinking about picking up my old hobby of bike riding in the spring. The snow is going to hit Colorado soon! -Rocky

That's another policy bending procedure UPS has broken. I know of at least 3 employees that had the priviledge of making a second go around at big brown.lol

I had a Manager call me about my return 2 years ago. If i was interested in coming back.So that is B.S

So if you think you have what it takes mentally and physically go back. Older and wiser.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.