Going from temp to regular

oldcarguy

I was a driver helper last year and again this year.This year I am also helping with preload and am wondering if this will help me get a regular p/t package handler position?Also if there is a chance with being just kept on after the holidays going in a regular spot or does everyone have to wait till there is a open spot whenever one opens up?

whiskers

I was a seasonal PT package handler, and was hired as permanent after peak. Yes there was an open spot that I filled. Yes I would think that helping on pre-load would help your chances of being hired.

I've helped a driver that said he was a driver-helper for 3 years before he was hired on, and he is now about to retire.

The fact that this is your 2nd year driver-helping makes me assume that you are reliable and eager to work, I wouldn't think they'd call you back if you were not. That's my advice, to not miss any days. Let the pre-load sup know that you are there to work and ask him/her if there is a chance that you'd be hired after peak. I've read some posts by upstate about how he got his helper a job after peak, If you are with the same driver often, mention this to them and maybe they will give a good word for you. Good luck and I hope you get hired.

oldcarguy

thanks,That has been my plan/goal all along.work hard and stay the course,And if it doesnt happen at the end of peak watch the website,try again and do it again next year if necessary.thanks again for the advise.