Good Samaritan crosses canal, busy highway to save UPS driver

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Good Samaritan crosses canal, busy highway to save UPS driver - CW 34

A 32-year-old Good Samaritan, who lives near the Turnpike exit along Becker Road, helped a UPS driver to safety after a tire blew and sent the delivery truck rolling over in the northbound lanes of the Turnpike, Port St. Lucie police said.

“It was something out of the movies,” said Shane Mott. “It sounded like a bomb exploded.”

The single-vehicle roll-over happened on May 18 at 9:15 a.m.

DriverNerd

I had a rear inside tire blow out on the highway and it scared the :censored2: out of me. I thought a bomb went off inside the truck. Even just one inside tire made the truck dance. Can't imagine losing a front tire.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
I had a rear inside tire blow out on the highway and it scared the :censored2: out of me. I thought a bomb went off inside the truck. Even just one inside tire made the truck dance. Can't imagine losing a front tire.
A tire? Try having the steering rod snap off while you're driving on the expressway! A bump in the highway, and the steering wheel suddenly goes light as a feather. I heard metal scraping the ground. Thankfully I was able to coast over to the shoulder. Mechanics came out, replaced the rod on the side offs the expressway. And yes, this darn truck is STILL in service, SMH.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A tire? Try having the steering rod snap off while you're driving on the expressway! A bump in the highway, and the steering wheel suddenly goes light as a feather. I heard metal scraping the ground. Thankfully I was able to coast over to the shoulder. Mechanics came out, replaced the rod on the side offs the expressway. And yes, this darn truck is STILL in service, SMH.

Why would a repaired steering rod take a vehicle permanently out of service?

11.19igrad

You know what uh uh no no wtf, see now do I even want to get reinstated???

Never even crossed my mind this could happen. No training for what to do if it does, naturally.

11.19igrad

Nope see ups don't care but i get fired for a :censored2:ing mailbox . They willingly use janky dangerous trucks

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
You know what uh uh no no wtf, see now do I even want to get reinstated???

Never even crossed my mind this could happen. No training for what to do if it does, naturally.
Nope see ups don't care but i get fired for a :censored2:ing mailbox . They willingly use janky dangerous trucks
This is a thinking man's job. There are a million decisions, things to do at various times. Whether driving, delivering, dealing with management, customers, routes, etc. A lot comes from experience. Fortunately my earlier years were spent with FedEx Express. I had some accidents, learned from them. If you're not in the right head space, you're doomed to fail at this company. But yes, these trucks are mostly POS.

11.19igrad

This is a thinking man's job. There are a million decisions, things to do at various times. Whether driving, delivering, dealing with management, customers, routes, etc. A lot comes from experience. Fortunately my earlier years were spent with FedEx Express. I had some accidents, learned from them. If you're not in the right head space, you're doomed to fail at this company. But yes, these trucks are mostly POS.

Yeah but ur supposed to be born with the experience or u get fired

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
Yeah but ur supposed to be born with the experience or u get fired
No, that's life. It doesn't prepare you for every single possible scenario. But now that you HAVE experienced how this company operates, you can prepare yourself accordingly for the future, even if it's not with this particular company. Life lessons, learn from them, grow, become better. You're stuck on messing up. It happens to the best of us.