Utah UPS driver killed 12/1/08

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I'm not sure the three point would help that much. Certainly not in this case. I would be curious more so about the tp60 he is hauling and its effect on his stopping distance in this case.

not in his case, no. but a 3 point hitch for the seat belt would keep someone from going through the windshield, being held in place while your torso is able to go out the door etc etc.

that is the 3 point hitch seatbelt we are talking about

I take it the state does not require a CDL or air brakes to haul a tp60?

no, at least not in ours it does not.

Back to your original point I'm not sure we have a process to have the three point harness considered. we almost need a joint panel process where you could come up and argue the merits of this equipment change.

give me a chance. i would love to argue the merits of the additional equipment change.

d

Johney

I would be curious more so about the tp60 he is hauling and its effect on his stopping distance in this case.

I'm also curious about the TP60 behind a P1000. I have never seen that before. All our TP's are pulled by P7's.

browniehound

What a tremendous tragedy:dissapointed:. It underlines the fact that our jobs are dangerous. When I leave the house every morning my mother tells me to please be safe. I used to blow it off, but my mother has been saying it since 1999 and in that time I have heard of at least 6 on-road fatalites at UPS. Add to that the poor person who got crushed against the dock in NJ.

Driving is hazardous by nature. We do it all day long. To every other driver, please be extra careful the next 3 weeks. I don't want to hear of another tragedy so close to christmas.

By the way, I don't live with Mommy anymore. I did until my VERY late 20's though. Laugh all you want at me, I'm not ashamed of it, lol! $1000/week take home pay goes a long way when you don't have to pay rent and she still does the grocery shopping, God bless her!

Camping Nana

What a tremendous tragedy:dissapointed:. It underlines the fact that our jobs are dangerous. When I leave the house every morning my mother tells me to please be safe. I used to blow it off, but my mother has been saying it since 1999 and in that time I have heard of at least 6 on-road fatalites at UPS. Add to that the poor person who got crushed against the dock in NJ.

Driving is hazardous by nature. We do it all day long. To every other driver, please be extra careful the next 3 weeks. I don't want to hear of another tragedy so close to christmas.

By the way, I don't live with Mommy anymore. I did until my VERY late 20's though. Laugh all you want at me, I'm not ashamed of it, lol! $1000/week take home pay goes a long way when you don't have to pay rent and she still does the grocery shopping, God bless her!

Sure hope you were wise and built up your 401K during that time period! :happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
when i pulled a tp60, it was always behind a p1000. they have the hitch under the step bumper. for quite a while, it was the slide out type, but after several issues, they put permanent hitches on them.

mike, we did file a grievance on it. and it still is buried in the never never land of ups/teamster relations. been 6-7 years now, and no resolution.

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm not sure the three point would help that much. Certainly not in this case. I would be curious more so about the tp60 he is hauling and its effect on his stopping distance in this case.

Pup trailers are equipped with electric trailer brakes. There is a trailer brake controller mounted on the dashboard of all hitch cars that ties the brake pedal of the car into the brakes on the trailer. The system is identical to those commonly used on RV's or boat trailers. If the system is working properly, the trailer makes no difference in stopping distance; the added weight of the trailer is offset by the additional braking traction provided by the four tires of the trailer. As far as a CDL is concerned, the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of the pkg car/pup trailer is under the limit that would require a CDL. I know all of this because I have been pulling a pup trailer every day for 18 years.

soberups

Back to your original point I'm not sure we have a process to have the three point harness considered. we almost need a joint panel process where you could come up and argue the merits of this equipment change.

d

The only "process" required would be someone in management with an ounce of common sense. It isnt rocket science. Just do it.

Unfortunately, the issue is not grievable. Up until mid 1995, 3 point belts were not legally required. The vehicles as delivered met the bare minimum legal DOT standards that existed for their model year, and are therefore "grandfathered" in even though it would be illegal to manufacture them today.

drewed

Shankman
The only "process" required would be someone in management with an ounce of common sense. It isnt rocket science. Just do it.

Unfortunately, the issue is not grievable. Up until mid 1995, 3 point belts were not legally required. The vehicles as delivered met the bare minimum legal DOT standards that existed for their model year, and are therefore "grandfathered" in even though it would be illegal to manufacture them today.

So do the new pcs have 3 pt belts then?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Drewed yes all new package cars have the 3 point seat belts, and all of our cars should have them.

Im not to sure if its not a grievance, maybe we should all file out of every local and put some heat on ups, maybe even take it to the media.

soberups

Im not to sure if its not a grievance, maybe we should all file out of every local and put some heat on ups, maybe even take it to the media.

Here is a better idea;

All of the "safety committees" nationwide could start networking with one another and issue UPS an ultimatum; management has until "x" date to retrofit every older package car with a 3 point belt. Refusal to do so will result in the immediate resignation of every member of every safety committee nationwide.

Its an elegantly simple solution. If UPS isnt going to take our safety seriously enough to equip all of its vehicles with 3 point belts, then there should be no reason for any hourly employee to waste his time on a sham committee that accomplishes nothing and allows UPS to pretend that it cares about our safety.

Let management grade the papers, distribute the stickers, hand out the cookies, play the word games and practice for the Keter audit tests. Or, if they want and need some hourly participation in their safety committee, then they can get real and start making changes to the equipment that actually make a difference.

yeldarb

A three point harness would not have saved him. Also, the division manager explained to everyone that the driver had done everything right, from signing the dvir to seat belt. The driver of the dump truck was also ticketed.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
sober

if all the safety issues at ups were the three point seat belts, then your plan would be the one to go with.

but unfortunately, at ups, safety is an ongoing problem with many issues that need addressed. some with more immediate health threats than the seatbelts.

i would suggest a coordinated approach though. ups bows to pressure brought by those that have more clout than just one or two here and there. might be we can use this forum to get the ball rolling?

d

drewed

Shankman
I find it curious that they only give one example of the "hundreds" of grievances filed and is the local really that strong that they cant get UPS to have a panel hearing over it, but they can roll a grand or two together to get a billboard put up? way to go with the union dues

soberups

sober

if all the safety issues at ups were the three point seat belts, then your plan would be the one to go with.

but unfortunately, at ups, safety is an ongoing problem with many issues that need addressed. some with more immediate health threats than the seatbelts.
d

The problem is that, when it comes to actually adressing those issues, the Safety Committees are worthless.

It is the policy of UPS that its Safety Committees will not discuss or make any changes to equipment, facilities, policies or procedures. The only acceptable topics for the Safety Committees to address are those directly related to passing a Keter audit. The Safety Committees exist only to promote "awareness", not to make actual changes.

We need Safety Committees that represent us, not management. We need Safety Committees that demands meaningful improvements to the equipment we use, the facilities we work in and the methods we are instructed to follow. According to UPS, safety begins and ends with the ability to recite a commentary or regurgitate an acronym. We need a committee that will directly challenge this attitude.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It is the policy of UPS that its Safety Committees will not discuss or make any changes to equipment, facilities, policies or procedures. The only acceptable topics for the Safety Committees to address are those directly related to passing a Keter audit

well nobody told us. there were countless changes we made to our building that had been overlooked that were real safety issues.

some of our equipment was also deemed unsafe by the committee, and taken out of service until the equipment passed our inspection.

one of the biggest and most serious were the cooling fans at the docks. over 80% of them had frayed cords, and many had bare wires. bare wires along with metal and a sweating employee equals death.

d