Good things about driving

dillweed

OK, it's a tough, sometimes rotten job but there are lots of good things about it.
People are always glad to see us, even when they can't remember what they ordered.

Little kids wave at us and make the horn-honking signal. Cute.

We can block part of the street and not get in trouble.

Baked goodies at Christmas time, sometimes still warm from the oven.

Uniforms that dry very quickly and don't leave our legs wet and cold after trudging through snow drifts.

Money and benifits up the butt.

Many, many kind folks who wave for us to go first at intersections and seem to respect what we're trying to do.
Anything else? dw

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
What I like best about driving is that your day is never the same from one day to the next. You meet new people every day, you get to enjoy the fresh air and the outdoors and it's a heck of a lot better than wasting away inside some dusty cubicle all day.

Now if only I could get a vehicle with power steering . . .

upsgrunt

What I like best about driving is that your day is never the same from one day to the next. You meet new people every day, you get to enjoy the fresh air and the outdoors and it's a heck of a lot better than wasting away inside some dusty cubicle all day.

I've been driving 21 years and I'm still waiting on power steering- I should be towards the top of the waiting list! Yeah I know--- and monkeys might fly out of my butt.:w00t:

maybrown

is not a woman
Be prepared! People like to cut off to your lane without warning . Sometimes they stop in front of your truck to ask direction or about a package that belongs to another route.

helenofcalifornia

Definitely being able to park anywhere you want (within reason). And being outside all day-awesome! Dillweed, right on about the uniform drying quickly! Yeah,and not having power steering and that low first step is a major setback to an otherwise cool job as long as you don't mind physical labor. Great thread, never thought of the quickly drying uniform as a plus, but it is.
P.S. Let us not forget we only see management about 10-15 minutes a day and very little contact with your "boss" all day.

brownrodster

Originally Posted by Dirty Savage

I've been driving 21 years and I'm still waiting on power steering- I should be towards the top of the waiting list! Yeah I know--- and monkeys might fly out of my butt.:w00t:

Our entire fleet went turbo diesel (~60 vehicles) automatic with power steering. The new guys are driving new rigs with less than 5,000 miles.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
As a So Cali driver here are the good things:

Being outside all day...love it!!

No one watching over my shoulder (sort of).

Most customers are more like friends.

Money and Med. coverage.

I get respect for being an empleyee of UPS for so many years. Makes me proud.

The day flies by. Even having my own route and having a routine, the day just goes by so fast. Almost to fast, the years are flying by to fast.

My route changes little during peek. Freight baby, gotta love it.

Coming home knowing I but in a good days work for a good days pay.

Making bonus while still having time to spend and talk a little to my customers.

I could go on. As with any job there is good and bad, but so far, for over 16 years there has been more good than bad. That is why I'm still working for UPS.

happyboy

I also like the fact that no two days are ever the same, and that we have very little contact with the boss. I get a kick out of seeing Different pet dogs along the route.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
Without a doubt, the chicks!! The chicks really dig me.

:thumbup1:

So true. Think that just as we all gripe about the same things, we all enjoy the same things with this job. If we didn't, we wouldn't be here. I know I've agreed with everything people have said that they like, at least so far :cool:

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
Without a doubt, the chicks!! The chicks really dig me.

The chicks do did us though. Hell, I meant my wife because she was at a business I del. to and p/u from every day. This was when I was utility driver. I sat on the route for a while just because of her, and a few others at the time before we started going out.

Just as a side note. It's very uncomfortable to date someone on route for awhile then break it off when you still have to go their place of business each day. Just some food for though for all the newbies.

upsdude

Just as a side note. It's very uncomfortable to date someone on route for awhile then break it off when you still have to go their place of business each day. Just some food for though for all the newbies.

That's why I just caved in and married my wife. :wink:

Channahon

P.S. Let us not forget we only see management about 10-15 minutes a day and very little contact with your "boss" all day.

Totally agree - that's probably the best part of working at UPS for drivers and management. As a management person at UPS there was nothing better than having enough drivers, sending them on their way and welcoming them back at the end of the day. And having a good dispatch on the street.

govols019

You smell that?
You mean some managers greet the drivers when they get back?

The only time I see my center manager in the evening is when I deliver to his house.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, right. I have never seen a center manager in the afternoon, let alone the evening, except when there was an emergency. And the on road supes are gone by 3. On Fridays, everyone on the management team is usually on the golf course by 11. OMS's run the show. Good thing they are competent in our building.

retired2000

just think of all the friends you make while on deliveries. have been retired now for almost 7 years and while i am out and about people will still come up to me and say hi that i use to deliver too.

Griff

I used to think this was a plus of the job until a new center manager rolled into town. Everyday I end up going insane from the volume of messages I get during the day, I'm not joking when I say it's at least 15. That figure isn't even including any ODA's I receive during the day, half of which aren't even mine and get overrided.