Guess I Was Wrong

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think Fred has for the forsee-able future staved off any possible unionization. Any moves or reorganizations could be tied to the biggest date on the calender August 1st 2013. If a UPS strike seems likely then FedEx will need to combine and reorganize well before that date in order to handle the excess volume and unlike '97 not turn any away. If no strike is in the cards, then he waits until UPS is locked into another long term unsustainable contract to then reorganize with part timers delivering high income overnight pkgs and low wage full timers delivering the rest.

Word on the street is that UPS has contacted the Teamsters to start contract negotiations.

vantexan

You're speaking as if FedEx has already made announcements as to future operating plans - they haven't...In FedEx's history, can anyone think of a time where compensation for hourly (or even most salaried) employees wasn't tied to some sort of "merit" measurement?

I don't know how you construed that. And yes, when I topped out many years ago in 2 years the raises were automatic and weren't affected by review scores. They screwed us when they made it about merit because it never really was. Can't count all the people who were carried by mgmt. Often at the expense of the rest of us having to pick up the slack. So now they're getting serious only I suspect there will be a disproportionate amount of older couriers given the boot.

vantexan

vantexan,I hear you,and it scares me to think that ups/fedex, In a land of Audi's.

Yeah, all these years, and getting it from pro company people about how everything is great, and anti-company people telling us we're fools for just doing our jobs all these years. As if they've got it all figured out. I'm just wanting to find out if this job will be one that'll pay enough for a few years, or will I be out on the street sooner than I hoped? It's Fred's company, he's going to do whatever he wants. I just want to know how it's going to affect us fulltimers.

vantexan

I think Fred has for the forsee-able future staved off any possible
unionization. Any moves or reorganizations could be tied to the biggest date on the calender August 1st 2013. If a UPS strike seems likely then FedEx will need to combine and reorganize well before that date in order to handle the excess volume and unlike '97 not turn any away. If no strike is in the cards, then he waits until UPS is locked into another long term unsustainable contract to then reorganize with part timers delivering high income overnight pkgs and low wage full timers delivering the rest.

Hadn't considered a possible UPS strike but that makes alot of sense. My last week when I quit in '97 was the first week of that strike. What a sendoff! So great, it's definitely happening. Just a matter of how soon.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Hadn't considered a possible UPS strike but that makes alot of sense. My last week when I quit in '97 was the first week of that strike. What a sendoff! So great, it's definitely happening. Just a matter of how soon.

That strike of '97 was poorly handled by FedEx management. They knew it was coming and did nothing in preparation except to let the storm hit us in the face. The district office even made our station eliminate a pickup route about 2 weeks beforehand. They don't care how fast you have to drive to get the job done.

Cactus

Man, does this sound familiar.When ups went public,they went from"we want to be a more customer oriented company",to a "how can we cut costs" company in just a few years.Things change fast,and it is not impossible that some new,cheaper,customer friendly company could emerge at any time,and make mincemeat out of the both of us.The money hungry shareholders at the top think they own the road,but it would not take much to dissuade the masses if a viable alternative was available.Anyone can deliver packages,but doing it in a way that only one attempt is necessary,may be the one factor that combines customer satisfaction with production.The technology is available to do this,but hey I'm going off topic here.
Fred is wasting millions having 2 companies doing one job.
UPS is air and ground at once,but high wages prohibit excessive overtime,which is inevitable when cutting routes.
vantexan,I hear you,and it scares me to think that ups/fedex, may end up studebakers.
In a land of Audi's.

So true.

If a 3rd player in the package business emerges that focused on customer service instead of shareholders, UPS and FedEx would see some real trouble.

Fred IS wasting millions on having 2 companies doing the same job. Unfortunately that money seems to come out of the employees wages.

TUT

Man, does this sound familiar.When ups went public,they went from"we want to be a more customer oriented company",to a "how can we cut costs" company in just a few years.Things change fast,and it is not impossible that some new,cheaper,customer friendly company could emerge at any time,and make mincemeat out of the both of us.The money hungry shareholders at the top think they own the road

Yes. Some regional carriers are starting to smack the big two around in some markets. No way to compete.

Ricochet1a

Fred IS wasting millions on having 2 companies doing the same job. Unfortunately that money seems to come out of the employees wages.

Well... yes, there are inefficiencies in having two separate operating companies. However, Fred's arrangement keeps BOTH free of unions, which keeps down his major expense - LABOR.

Efficiency is measured in the annual profitability of FedEx - Fred is happy with his numbers and the numbers he sees going forward.

Cactus

Well... yes, there are inefficiencies in having two separate operating companies. However, Fred's arrangement keeps BOTH free of unions, which keeps down his major expense - LABOR.

That goes back to what I posted about money saved from employees wages. Unionj wage vs. non-union wage.

Efficiency is measured in the annual profitability of FedEx - Fred is happy with his numbers and the numbers he sees going forward.

What makes you think Fred is happy?

He is not happy with his numbers so he keeps micromanging employees to death. No matter how good we do he wants more, more, more!