Guess the MIP factor

randomUPSISer

The MIP seems high considering it was such a bad year. It sounds like they are taking the lack of raises into consideration.

Good for you guys! I hope everything eases up so that you get raises in March!

I was way off. I was SURE it would be sub 1!

I think you are 100% right. UPS has realized with all the other anal screwing they've been giving management this year that this was likely to be the "last straw" - especially with the economy seeming to pick back up.

bill102

The way they have the MIP set up now it will always be between 1.0 and 2.0. There are five items that they track or MIP elements. Each one is worth .2 We only hit the service portion so we get credit for .2. Its funny that the only one that is our (frontline mgmt) control, we make.

UPS Lifer

This reminds me of how a district manager tried to sell us on buying stock. Of course I have to preface this with this was before the real estate collapse.....

He said that buying UPS stock was a better deal than buying real estate. UPS stock had gone up by 15% and real estate had only gone up 10%. I laughed... real estate is leveraged and the stock isn't.

If you have $20,000 and you buy UPS stock and it goes up 15% that = $23,000.
If you put 20% down on a $100,000 house that = the same $20,000. If that house goes up by 10% you now have an investment of $30,000 which is $7,000 more than the stock.

Of course today.... all bets are off. Turn your money into gold!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I fail to see what my supes do to earn this 8 grand in free stock. It's not like they came up with anything creative to improve operations.

randomUPSISer

I fail to see what my supes do to earn this 8 grand in free stock. It's not like they came up with anything creative to improve operations.

Its not really free money. UPS adds it into their base pay to end up with total pay. In essence, base pay is lower than normal market pay. Then MIP kicks in and takes them back up to normal market pay.

If the MIP were above a 2.0 factor, UPS management would get paid more than market pay. I highly doubt that ever happens again.

Dont look at it so much as a bonus, its really not despite how UPS wants its management employees to think it is. I cant say I've met many UPS management that wouldnt rather just have higher base pay and NO MIP. I know I would dump MIP in a heartbeat for a 1.2-1.5 MIP equivalent base pay raise. It would take the guess work and concern about if you'll even get that pay away. I certainly cant do anything to affect the MIP factor anyway