Handcarts: When do you use one?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm having an annoying dispute with my sup over proper use of the handcart.

If I have 20 pieces going into a business with no dock...I lay my cart down in the back of the truck and scan the packages while I am loading them onto the cart. I then slide the cart out and down the bumper using the skids on the back of the cart as a ramp. I then wheel the cart into the business, push the pile of boxes up against a wall, and pull the cart out from under the pile. Result? I handle each package only once, I minimize customer contact time, and I keep the customers crowed receiving area clear.

My sup insists that is unsafe and wrong. He wants me to (a) take the packages off the shelf and set them on the floor.(b) Unload them off of the floor and onto the hand cart. (c) wheel the packages inside. (d) unload them off of the handcart and line them up in rows. (e) scan them. (friend) pick them all up again and stack them up to keep the receiving area clear.

So instead of handling those 20 packages once....he wants me to handle those 20 packages four times. Assuming an average weight per piece of 10 lbs, I just went from handling 200 pounds to 800 pounds. And this is supposed to be "safer?"

Its frustrating for me because I have been doing my job for 22 years. My sup drove 20 years ago....for about a year, before being promoted. He can barely use a DIAD. He is a nice guy and a decent sup but in this case he simply doesnt know what the hell he is talking about.

that way is great for a medium size load but one time I tried it with a bunch of paper years ago and there was so much weight at the bottom of the handtruck that it almost catapulted me once the handtruck rails left the bumper and the load finally "touched down". Its frustrating, you have found a FASTER way of doing things,without it being a danger to yourself or customers, and the sup wants to be old school and have it take 3 times longer....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
that way is great for a medium size load but one time I tried it with a bunch of paper years ago and there was so much weight at the bottom of the handtruck that it almost catapulted me once the handtruck rails left the bumper and the load finally "touched down". Its frustrating, you have found a FASTER way of doing things,without it being a danger to yourself or customers, and the sup wants to be old school and have it take 3 times longer....
This is where High School math comes into play. Your strength x your weight x leverage x weight on the cart = time in flight.:knockedout: Use less weight on the cart. I've learned the same lesson.:happy2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

If you do it faster while still being safe your supe will no longer have a reason to exist.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have one of those old steel ones. :sick: That thing is a miserable POS. It is out in the shed right now but during peak it will make a reappearance, I'm sure.

They threw all of ours away when the new aluminum ones were introduced. I rescued one out of the dumpster, took it home and still use it to this day. Same with the big parts cabinets that were in the mechanics bay. When they re-did his area I salvaged the old ones for my garage. Nice heavyduty shop cabinets aren't cheap---- but mine were.:wink2:

upsman68

I hate when drivers I work with steal my handcart out of my truck. Also when my stylus in gone from my diad. Thieving bastards. If you lose your stylus go get one from your sup.

NHDRVR

I hate when drivers I work with steal my handcart out of my truck. Also when my stylus in gone from my diad. Thieving bastards. If you lose your stylus go get one from your sup.

Ours vanish when our tucks are PMI'd. Automotive claims the feeder drivers from CHEMMA take them.

I have only been driving around 1 year, and only drive around 1 or 2 days a week at most.. The driver who's route I cover most got me in the habbit of taking 2 2-wheelers with me.. I work at a driver sort-load, so I load my own truck.. I put one in the front of the truck, and one in the back of the truck.. If it is 3 boxes of paper or if I can deliver an entire street on one trip, I will load it all on the 2-wheeler and go.. When I have a sup on a safety ride with me, he has told me everytime that I do not use one when I should use one... They keep telling me that I am still young and dumb, and one day my body will thank me for using the 2-wheeler...