Harassment Grievance?

22.34life

Sort isle is a skilled job,for now and that means it's a bid job file for them to put up the bid list for preferred jobs unless they do it every six months like they are supposed to,very unlikely that they do.if that dont get it done there is another angle, sorters start with the sort start time and in most buildings the small sort is going to be staggered after that maybe 15 minutes or so,file for the time.a competent steward should have no problem with this it's a common situation.

So when I came in this morning, I asked the supe who runs preload where I was supposed to report, he informed me that I was moved to small sort for good. I made sure my Union rep was standing right there, and he shut that down and told me to go back to my original place of duty. The manager who wants me moved apparently told all his subordinates not to allow me back on the sort aisle. But, the sort supe told my rep she wants me back up there, as well. I know this is going to turn into a smile* storm when he sees me back up there.

RolloTony Brown Town

I would like some advice on whether to pursue a grievance, or if I should just let this situation slide. I have been with UPS part time for 6 years, spent all 6 years on the sort aisle. For several years, a particular manager has seemed to have it out for me. He has publicly taunted me and tried to humiliate me in front of my peers on several occasions. I have always just ignored it because I typically do not like to rock the boat or bring unwanted attention to myself. Other employees have consistently pointed out that this manager has it out for me. This past December, he was taunting me while I was attempting to sort and I finally confronted him and asked him why he has been harassing me. We ended up in his office with my Union representation present and he stated he would from now on, keep it 100% professional with me. Since then, he has made no further comments to me. However, today I was informed that per him, I was to be moved to small sort, even though I have never been written up for a performance related issue, and I have more seniority than 90% of the rest of the sort aisle. I was given no reason for the move other than this is what he wanted. The move would not bother me because the workload is easier, but that section gets out later and it will interfere with my full time job. Is it worth pursuing or should I just suck it up and deal with the move?

Find out what the preferred jobs are in your facility and see if you can put your name on the list.

Honestly though small sort isn’t bad. It’ll be the same job but smaller boxes unless you’re dumping bags. In my facility small sort is a preferred job. I’d be willing to bet if you just spoke to your ft supervisor and union stewards they’ll leave you in the aisle.

Have you been hurt in the aisle? Do you call out a lot? Usually there’s a reason for people being moved. It’s not necessarily harassment by definition. Hope it gets resolved.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Have you been hurt in the aisle? Do you call out a lot? Usually there’s a reason for people being moved. It’s not necessarily harassment by definition. Hope it gets resolved.

When I sorted missorts were the the only way to get booted from the sort aisle, but that was twilight and Night sorts where you actually had to memorize the splits.

I thought preload sort was unskilled because the packages are labeled coming out of the trailers...

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Do you have preferred jobs in your p/t contract? Do you have seniority rights for start times? Can you use your seniority to leave just as you use it for certain jobs or start times? Our guys are asked to go home by seniority because of a bunch of grievances that they filed years ago. Company tries every once in a while to push it but they signed off years ago.

Find out what the preferred jobs are in your facility and see if you can put your name on the list.

Honestly though small sort isn’t bad. It’ll be the same job but smaller boxes unless you’re dumping bags. In my facility small sort is a preferred job. I’d be willing to bet if you just spoke to your ft supervisor and union stewards they’ll leave you in the aisle.

I know small sort isnt bad, its much easier. Only problem is, it gets out later and it would mess with me getting to my full time job. Plus, Ive been on the sort aisle long enough that I have enough seniority to get out at a decent time. Never been hurt at work. I call in once every 2 months. Ive gotten into it with the pt sup a few times but hes been moved due to his poor performance, so other than that Im not sure what the problem is. My union steward seems to have my back on this, so hopefully its been resolved, only time will tell.

Do you have preferred jobs in your p/t contract? Do you have seniority rights for start times? Can you use your seniority to leave just as you use it for certain jobs or start times? Our guys are asked to go home by seniority because of a bunch of grievances that they filed years ago. Company tries every once in a while to push it but they signed off years ago.

We have seniority rights as far as the time we are dismissed. Not sure about start times, I guess I would need to ask the union rep about that.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I know small sort isnt bad, its much easier. Only problem is, it gets out later and it would mess with me getting to my full time job. Plus, Ive been on the sort aisle long enough that I have enough seniority to get out at a decent time. Never been hurt at work. I call in once every 2 months. Ive gotten into it with the pt sup a few times but hes been moved due to his poor performance, so other than that Im not sure what the problem is. My union steward seems to have my back on this, so hopefully its been resolved, only time will tell.

We have seniority rights as far as the time we are dismissed. Not sure about start times, I guess I would need to ask the union rep about that.

Most supplements have a provision for senior employees to select their start time/ shift.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
I would like some advice on whether to pursue a grievance, or if I should just let this situation slide. I have been with UPS part time for 6 years, spent all 6 years on the sort aisle. For several years, a particular manager has seemed to have it out for me. He has publicly taunted me and tried to humiliate me in front of my peers on several occasions. I have always just ignored it because I typically do not like to rock the boat or bring unwanted attention to myself. Other employees have consistently pointed out that this manager has it out for me. This past December, he was taunting me while I was attempting to sort and I finally confronted him and asked him why he has been harassing me. We ended up in his office with my Union representation present and he stated he would from now on, keep it 100% professional with me. Since then, he has made no further comments to me. However, today I was informed that per him, I was to be moved to small sort, even though I have never been written up for a performance related issue, and I have more seniority than 90% of the rest of the sort aisle. I was given no reason for the move other than this is what he wanted. The move would not bother me because the workload is easier, but that section gets out later and it will interfere with my full time job. Is it worth pursuing or should I just suck it up and deal with the move?
just suck it up today is another day

Zowert

If your supervisor is harassing you, trying to humiliate you in front of your peers you need to grieve. It’s the only way this is going to stop.

When a sup starts costing the company money in grievances they get a tap on the shoulder from their superiors.