Has your station or hub ever shut down for a winter storm meaning no deliveries?

Guitarman01

Just curious about this including FedEx, UPS and USPS. I know the answer is probably not likely most of the time, but it would also seem pretty silly to risk getting half a fleet of vehicles stuck in the snow.
Do they have a certain threshold they look at when it comes to snow in feet, inches, ice, blizzards etc?

Thebrownblob

Yep a couple times. State of emergency was called and they went ahead and called us in one time, and the other time we did not go out at all. Doesn’t happen very often though.

It will be fine

I don’t recall management ever closing the station for snow. I’ve shut down my company a few times and often have them ignore pickup windows and come in when snow is dropping heavy in the afternoon. We get a stink eye from management and they always try to strong arm us into running normal service but that’s the only consequence.

Brown Down

had 1 day of a work until a certain time becasue a huge storm was coming( over 1 foot fell in less than 8 hours), 1 medical supplies only day and 1 full shutdown. multiple times we've been recalled due to weather and deteriorating road conditions.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yep, more than once.

Brings back fond childhood memories of the snow day.

Last edited:

Myort

I received a text one morning telling me the station was closed for the day. It was 10-15 below zero and lots of wind. Also, had just received nearly a foot of snow. It was a Monday, it took us the rest of the week to get caught up. There have been a handful of times they sent us out and called us back in.

!Retired!

Normal snowfall for December here is 8 inches. From 12/20-12/25, we got 2+ feet. We didn't go out for a few days. They did ask for volunteers to deliver perishable and medical. But, that wasn't enough . Even putting food and medical outside in trucks to stay cold didn't help. Stuff still went bad. When the roads were cleared enough, we loaded up some trucks, drove to Walmart, Target, etc parking lots and called customers that we would be there until X:XXpm. This is a tiny piece of our station.
It was my first winter here and Mother Nature decided to say hi.
IMG_20210713_153212.jpg

fedx

Extra Large Package
At our ramp, we've had a couple of times where we could refuse to drive out due to the weather, but today we were actually told to not bother coming in to work. That was a first and it was nice. Usually we have to drive in to work regardless, but not today.

bacha29

Normal snowfall for December here is 8 inches. From 12/20-12/25, we got 2+ feet. We didn't go out for a few days. They did ask for volunteers to deliver perishable and medical. But, that wasn't enough . Even putting food and medical outside in trucks to stay cold didn't help. Stuff still went bad. When the roads were cleared enough, we loaded up some trucks, drove to Walmart, Target, etc parking lots and called customers that we would be there until X:XXpm. This is a tiny piece of our station.
It was my first winter here and Mother Nature decided to say hi.
View attachment 463030
And those tin coffins on wheel are a suicide mission in the snow belt. Then again probably a bunch of them will be sold to contractors and then they can become their liability.

ManInBrown

Funny story the one and only time in package they closed the building. Steward sends out a text to everyone around 6pm the night before. Closed tomorrow, do not report. We were supposed to get 15-20 inches of snow. We didn’t get one flake. This was about 8-10 years ago I don’t remember why, I think the storm shifted at the last minute and missed us. Took us weeks to dig out of that one day closed.

DriverNerd

We had an artic blast come through in 2014 where the high for the day was -16. FedEx Ground and the USPS didn't work. UPS and Express were the only ones out there. (UPS) we started at 10 that day (when it warmed to -22) and they called us in after our pickups.

Multiple snow storms we've been called in after pickups. Never been shut down though. I have been unlucky enough to get stuck in a snowstorm that took four hours for a tow truck to get to me. Easy four hours of OT though. I was last on the list of five drivers stuck and had a mostly empty freeway for the drive in.