Have customers help unload bulk stop?

I was trained to honk my horn as I pulled up for a commercial delivery the same as for a residential, not to get them to come out and get the package but to alert them of my presence. As described to me, it's the first step in establishing a sense of urgency. DO I do it today...19+ years later? No, not usually.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I was trained to honk my horn as I pulled up for a commercial delivery the same as for a residential, not to get them to come out and get the package but to alert them of my presence. As described to me, it's the first step in establishing a sense of urgency. DO I do it today...19+ years later? No, not usually.
I have always hated when a car pulls up to my neighbors to pick up their daughter.Person would always beep her horn as a signal to come out.Started to bother me more once we had our 1st child.I finally went out and asked that they not be so lazy and beep.Get out and ring the bell.(we didn't have cell phones then but now you could just call and say "i'm here") So i agree with trplnk,22 years for me and I don't beep.It's rude in my book.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

19 years later and I still beep the horn 2 houses before the house I am delivering to. It can be very effective but I have also been told where I can put that horn. Ironically, I get very frustrated when taxis pull up to the house across the street from where I live and blow the horn. I can rationalize that by saying that when I do it I am just doing my job and when they do it they are just being lazy and inconsiderate. Makes me feel better.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Technically, it is illegal to use the horn for any purpsose other than "as an emergency signalling or warning device"....at least that is the DMV law here in Oregon. I tap my horn when I back up, which is appropriate, but other than than I dont generally use it. I think it is rude and unprofessional to be blaring the horn in front of every 5th house in a nice quiet subdivision.

Technically, it is illegal to use the horn for any purpsose other than "as an emergency signalling or warning device"....at least that is the DMV law here in Oregon. I tap my horn when I back up, which is appropriate, but other than than I dont generally use it. I think it is rude and unprofessional to be blaring the horn in front of every 5th house in a nice quiet subdivision.
well, it's not against the law in Texas, but I agree with you on the rude and unprofessional.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would be very carefull if the person is on your package car, as there may be a liability issue if he gets hurt on your car. On the dock is their job zone. Then there is a security issue if the person grabs the wrong package...

reydluap

I'm so use to tooting the horn twice as I approach the delivery/pick up point. Then again before I back into their dock(s). It messes the customer up if a cover driver runs my route. Doing this gives the customer time to respond that "UPS is here" (as they tell me) and to be prepared with their carts to sort their packages as I unload them. About once a year, if I'm running ahead of time, I'll buy soda pops for all the dock crew. Or if I see one of the dock crew buying a soda at a Quick Shop, I'll buy it for them. I let these people know that they make my job so easy by helping me out. A few cases of soda pop a year removes alot of stress from my life. But, I might add.....I've been doing this so long, these people are like family to me. Most have ate at my kitchen table sometime over the years, and vise versa...

Upslady20

I was trained to honk that horn at every stop and continue doing so. Some people come out and get their packages and very few people ever complain about it. I just do a quick honk not a blaring honk or more than once. It also helps wake up the dogs so I know where they are. I am a happy honker....

brownrodster

I would be very carefull if the person is on your package car, as there may be a liability issue if he gets hurt on your car. On the dock is their job zone. Then there is a security issue if the person grabs the wrong package...

It's also one of the deadly sins in the contract. The contract allows termination for unauthorized passengers. However, I always read this to be someone sitting in the passenger seat while the vehicle is moving. Not sure if just some random dude jumping inside while parked counts.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was also trained to honk at a delivery point, but I rarely do it. I have to make myself do it when I have a ride along. I usually get dinged for it at least once, or twice, or three times.......... by the sup. LOL I absolutey will not honk at night sup or no sup.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's also one of the deadly sins in the contract. The contract allows termination for unauthorized passengers. However, I always read this to be someone sitting in the passenger seat while the vehicle is moving. Not sure if just some random dude jumping inside while parked counts.
The intent of this language is to prevent the driver from transporting someone.
No one is going to be succesfully terminated due to a customer stepping into the back of the truck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

[quote: No one is going to be succesfully terminated due to a customer stepping into the back of the truck. :quote]

Unless, of course, that person gets hurt or steals a pkg.