Have You Ever Gotten Out Of A Speeding Ticket ?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the recent story of the UPSer getting killed fleeing the police. got me thinking about all the traffic stops I have had over the years.

maybe 50 % resulted in tickets . back in the 70's and 80's I got mostly warnings. since then it has been tougher.

but in 25 years , in my personal vehicle, I have been stopped 5 times and each time I got off with a warning. I think it was because I was in my UPS uniform. I was honest and told the officer I had just got off from work from UPS and they let me go.

other times I have gotten off is because I made the officer laugh. but still have received tickets about half the time. maybe 3-4 in 25 years.

so I was wondering if any of you have ever gotten out of a ticket and what do you think was the reason why?

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I used to carry master badge. Gets you out of a lot.

Now, honestly, I dont generally do anything to get pulled over. No more than 10 over, wear the seat belt as an example to the kids.

A few months ago I got out of the car at the bus stop with the kids. Left, went around the corner and down the street to the main road with out my seat belt on.

It was click it or ticket week and I was caught at a check point. I am fully certain my ups uniform got me out of the ticket.

That, my jovial yet respectful attitude, and clean driving record.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I got one citation at age 17 for going 35 in a school zone. All the schools were already closed for the summer except this one. The judge had me write an essay on the evils of speeding. That's my speeding history in 52 years of driving.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got out of three or four speeding tickets about 25-30 years ago while driving my '69 Corvette to work at the original Atlanta Hub. My dad was alive and knew somebody at the Fulton County Courthouse. A phone call and the ticket "disappeared". Not ethical, but my dad was a very good man who helped a lot of people. He had a lot of connections.

I remember as a small child we were driving through a small town in South Georgia on the way to Florida for vacation in the mid 60s when they has the speed traps. When you came to a small town, they would put the speed limit signs in hard to see places so the local police could generate revenue. My dad gets a speeding ticket and calls his childhood Sunday School teacher. That man eventually got elected Governor of the state. A couple of days later, a State Patrol officer pulled up to the place my dad worked and apologized. The State Patrol went to the little town and took the ticket from the police department and handed it back to my dad. Its who you know sometimes.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Not a chance for the last one. Deputy Dawg was upset "having" to chase my riding buddies and myself down the winding highway for 10 miles or so.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Got out of one about two months ago. It helps when the chief of police's son works for you. I was wearing my polo and his old man pulled me over. I saw him walk up and thought "Son of buddy*. I'm never going to hear the end of this."

He took one look at my shirt and said "You wouldn't be **** would you?"

After running my license and plates he told me to slow it down and keep his son busy and out of trouble.

"Yes sir!"'

rod

Retired 22 years
No but I did get off with a $12 fine for going 85 in a 60 years ago. That's almost a freebe.

rod

Retired 22 years
Got out of one about two months ago. It helps when the chief of police's son works for you. I was wearing my polo and his old man pulled me over. I saw him walk up and thought "Son of buddy*. I'm never going to hear the end of this."

He took one look at my shirt and said "You wouldn't be **** would you?"

After running my license and plates he told me to slow it down and keep his son busy and out of trouble.

"Yes sir!"'

I would have thrown the book at you :-)

rod

Retired 22 years
That sounds like my $20 for doing 84 in a 55. Many years ago also.

He had me follow him into the nearest magistrates office to pay the fine. He left me 8 bucks so I had enough gas money to get back home to Minnesota. I don't picture that happening today.