Heads-Up: Peanut Butter Prices about to Skyrocket

clueless

And some varieties won't be available at all--at least for awhile:

Peanut-Butter Makers Face Crunch

Another hot, dry summer has devastated this year's peanut crop, sending prices for the legume skyrocketing and forcing peanut-butter brands including J.M. Smucker Co.'s Jif, Unilever NV's Skippy and ConAgra Foods Inc.'s Peter Pan into startling price increases.

Wholesale prices for big-selling Jif are going up 30% starting in November, while Peter Pan will raise prices as much as 24% in a couple weeks. Unilever wouldn't comment on its pricing plans, but a spokesman for Wegmans Food Markets, the closely held supermarket chain in the Northeast U.S., said wholesale prices for all brands it carries, including Skippy, are 30% to 35% higher than a year ago.

Kraft Foods Inc., which launched Planters peanut butter in June, is raising prices 40% on Oct. 31, a spokeswoman said....

...Smucker, the world's largest peanut buyer, is taking action to make sure it has enough peanut butter to stock shelves. It temporarily stopped making eight varieties in certain sizes, like 40-ounce jars or reduced-fat creamy spread, which won't be available again until January.

Peanut-Butter Makers Face Crunch - WSJ.com

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
This is actually good news to me. My wife is allergic to peanuts and we have to avoid a lot of restaurants because they cook with peanut oil. We have actually had to get up and leave a few times after she took one or two bites after ordering something the waitress said didn't have peanuts in them. My state should be called the Peanut State instead of the Peach State, it was an extremely dry Summer that messed up that crop.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
When is Al Gore going to show up and claim that's it's another sign of global warming and a clueless lib going to blame bush?

Looks like I'm gonna have to stock up on PB, it's a staple in our house.

Baba, while libs are clueless, all clueless' aren't libs. :)

klein

Für Meno :)
A regular jar of peanut butter (1 kg) will last me 6 months or longer. That's why I keep it in the fridge.
I mostly like my jam with regular real butter.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I like real butter, peanut butter and , must be Jam because jelly just doesn't spread well. Grape or Blackberry or raspberry jam......on soft wheat bread !!

We tried Planter's peanut butter..............just as good as Jif and was on sale to get folks to try it. Stocked up! I figure, Planters should know Peanuts the best!

klein

I bought the unsweetend & unsalted Kraft kind last time (only kind they had left for buying 2 for 1).
Can't eat it alone - you definitly need jam with it.

klein

I don't normally buy generics but the store brand peanut butter where I shop tastes almost as good as the national brand.

I worked for most of my life in the food/dairy manufacturing plants.
Store brand is usually the same as the name brand company that makes it. (just a different label and container).
If you ever want to know the name brand of the product, usually the best before date gives a hint. (not that it's a different date), but if it has the same print and factory code on it (all food manufacturers must have a plant number printed next to the code date). - So, they can trace it back.

However, the blue generic brand (not store or name brand) - they do make that cheaper (less ingredients).

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I use Teddie of Everett Mass., a local manufacturer, smooth.....unsalted old fashioned all natural.
Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts.

klein

I use Teddie of Everett Mass., a local manufacturer, smooth.....unsalted old fashioned all natural.
Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts.

You caught my curiosity, so I'm looking at my Kraft unsweetend & unsalted peanutbutter.
Ingredients : Select roasted peanuts, Soybean oil, Hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Also has a recipe on it for a "Peanut Butter Smoothie"

Place 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1 banana, 1 tbsp unsweetend, unsalted peanutbutter and 2 ice cubes in blender container; cover
Blend until smooth

Pour into glass. Serve immediatly.
Makes 1 serving.

Last edited:

klein

I heard that hydrogenated oils were very bad for people, according to several health agencies.

After we're all done with Phillips Morris and Reynolds, we'll go after Kraft and Nestle, oh yeah, and all those others that made the population as fat and unhealthy as they are today ! ;)

rod

Retired 22 years
There is only one kind of Ketchup-----------Heinz
There is only one kind of Peanut Butter-----Skippy Super Chunk

moreluck

golden ticket member
There used to be only one kind of soup......Campbells
Then came Progresso!!

Had this one for lunch!

Last edited: